A

A stash of new old stock square recessed lights in Iowa

progress-recessed-lights-page-36

Cadman writes:

Pam, I wanted to tip you and your readers off on some fantastic NOS light fixtures for sale that might be of interest. The trouble? This alert is likely only good for your Iowa readers.

A while back there was a discussion about the in-ceiling square recessed lights and how chrome trim is no longer available (nor it seems more than 1 or 2 common sizes). The Cedar Rapids ReStore has come into old inventory of these lights, still wrapped in 1958 newspaper from the factory and many sealed in their original dusty boxes. There’s an assortment of sizes and glass options as well, and a 5 or 10 spot is all they’re asking. Heavy-Duty all the way around.

We don’t get down to CR too often but managed to make the trek in an icestorm this past weekend on a search for RED carpet and we couldn’t not drop-in.  -Cadman

Thank you, Cadman. Can someone go get these, please!

Above: Progress lights from my fabulous 1961 Progress catalog.

Related posts:

1. Progress Circlines 1961
  2. 4 pages of pull down kitchen lights Progress 1961
  3. Square recessed lighting available today

progress-recessed-lights-p-37

SeeAllOurVintageCatalogsSMALL

1. sumacsue says:

Are these the size that would go into the soffit over a kitchen sink? If so, I need one of the rectangular ones! I have such a light fixture, but without the cover. But I’m a long way from Cedar Rapids. Oh well, maybe something like this will turn up at my local ReStore.

2. Glamorlux Nancy says:

Pam – Was there a website that sold the new square recessed lighting? Those old ones are amazing, but looks like I can’t get my hands on one of those!

3. Nate says:

If anybody in Iowa can pick these up, I’d be interesting in purchasing some of them from you, as I am restoring a ’57 walkout rambler. Am in Minneapolis.

4. Mary-Frances Main says:

We have those downstairs. The downside is you turn them on with a push toggle switch and it sinks into the ceiling. Ick. We might take ours out (don’t gasp) but they don’t work very well.

I wonder if these are a lot better?

5. D timmons says:

was wondering if these lights were still available or where you can buy trims for them. I called CR restore and they said they could not find them

6. Connie says:

Hello,
    I am looking for a square dropped opal diffuser for one of my square recessed lights. Are there any still available?
    Connie

7. pam kueber says:

Hi Connie, use our search box to get to our story on square recessed lighting and where to get it, and maybe parts, too. It also can be found in our Lighting category (under Decorate).

This story (which you left a comment on) is quite old and about a stash at a Restore – you would need to contact them directly to find out if they still have any. Doubtful, though.

8. Elizabeth says:

I have some of these (P6631) in my 1964 ranch. So fun to see the original catalog. Does anyone know how to change a lightbulb in one of these fixtures? Thanks!

9. Jules says:

Just a note – I have these throughout the top floor of my ranch. They have real fire hazard potential should you want to insulate your attic, so be sure that you are aware of wiring and insulation!

10. pam kueber says:

Hmmmm, I recommend to readers: Consult with a properly licensed professional on this issue….