B

Back in 50s TV land with Predicta – a Retro Renovation re-run

tv-holiday.jpg

tv-meteor.jpg

Since I wrote this post so long ago – here it is again, in case you’ve never seen these! Originally published Nov. 24, 2007

Okay, I want a humongous TV just like the next person, but frankly, I think I want one of these awesome Predicta models more. These are faithful reproductions — not exact, but faithful — of the original Philco Predictas and there are 8 models — 4 tabletop, 4 on integrated bases. Telstar, the company that makes them, uses all-new parts, these are state-of-today’s art TVs.

I’m personally partial to the Holiday tabletop model, which is pictured here. The thought of lounging in bed… taking a pretend sick day when it’s all cold and snowy outside… and watching reruns of the Colbert Report (don’t you think he looks like a 50s guy, with that hair?) on my own little Predicta… ah, what bliss.  Website: Predicta.com

Categoriesother stuff
  1. Asher says:

P.S. I also had an original Princess tabletop model. Problem is the chrome was going and would probably cost as much to rehab the whole set.

2. Natalia says:

I just got off the phone with Telstar.

They have not discontinued the Predictas–they are currently working on a hi-def version. The lady on the phone said they didn’t have a specific timetable for when the new sets would be ready (the TV sets are apparently a side project of this company; their main line of business is machine tools or something) but to check their website periodically for updates.

3. Dave Elias says:

I have been in contact with the company and unfortunatley they have STOPPED making these. Very upsetting as I have wanted one for over
    a year now.

4. lampy says:

I have an original Pedestral at home and it still works as a charm!
    It is still by far more smart looking than any modern large flatscreen and also far more reliable!

5. Phillip says:

I actually emailed the company that makes the Predicta’s a while back about the prices and was informed that they no longer make them because they can’t get the tubes anymore.

6. St. Christopher says:

Heh, heh…I’ve got two predictas. I have a Princess w/orig. stand that I bought from some good folks who had originally bought it out from under me off of C-list but needed to trim there collection and I just recently got another from C-list, a Holliday w/orig. stand. Both are in working condition but since these Philco TVs weren’t the most reliable to begin with it’s patently amazing that they work at all! I saw one of the reproductions at a shop in New Orleans called Sputnik Ranch on Magazine Street. They always have it on with a DVD of some cool old Sci-Fi movie playing. I had asked about it and visited the web site, but I’m willing to wait for a Hi Def version to come on line. Otherwise I would rather spend that money restoring the two units I already have.

Comments are closed.