1947-am-st-neoangle

Rerunning this post — because in the meantime I discovered these are called “Cinderella bathtubs.” Here’s Alice’s, too. There were “Cinderella windows”, too. Stay tuned on that one.

We are getting a clean start hehehe to 2009 with this post showcasing some simply wonderful bathtubs from the postwar period. Oh my gosh, look at this 1947 “neo angle” from American Standard … My dream bathtub, no question. But if I had one of these, there probably wouldn’t be a blog, because I’d never leave it. Read on for more vintage tubs … and 6 photos in all…

1959 kohler mayflower bathtub

Above: A 1959 Kohler Mayflower, recessed. Kohler still makes the Mayflower model – it’s petite, but very nice! If I had the space, I’d use it – in pink, of course!
1959-kohler-cosmopolitan

Doesn’t this 1959 Kohler Cosmopolitan just glisten! Notice the little rings holding back the shower curtain in all these images. I’ve never seen this before. Do you think people really did this in their homes? Or is it just for advertising, to show off the tubs while still featuring a shower curtain? Readers – any real-life examples found in your time capsule homes?

1959-kohler-text-2

The copy is fun to read. I think that Amy’s little tub/shower may be the Kohler Standish “showering bath” mentioned here.

NOTE:
be safeIf you are the owner of an older porcelain enamel bathtub or sinks — or are considering buying one — please see my May 2, 2016 story Understanding potential lead hazards in old porcelain enamel bathtubs and sinks and ceramic tile of any age; this article focuses on raising awareness around three other potential sources of lead dust exposure in your home – old porcelain enamel bathtubs and sinks and ceramic tile of any era — and steps you can take to assess and, if required, address them.

1. Alex Metral says:

Wonderful, in a few seconds I found out what my “square” pink bathtub is called and how to clean it. Ours also has a chrome shower ring to mirror the shape. I will take pictures! Looking to install a new shower head/piece though, looking for inspirational (1951 ish but new) replacement.

2. Marcia Adams says:

Just discovered, thanks to a piece about your blog, that we have a white Cinderella tub. We are preparing for a total remodel of the bathroom in our 1959 ranch home. The bidding contractors are telling us they would “get rid of it” by destroying it.

Seems like we have a “56 Chevy” equivalent in the bathtub category!

Any tips on finding a new home for our classy little tub? We live in Santa Cruz, California.

3. Brian says:

Just now seeing this — In my last house, a 1900 Queen Anne, the main bathroom has a white tub similar to the yellow one shown here, but with straight sides, not an oval. There are a number of advantages no one has mentioned. You get “shelves” for your candles or magazines when you want a real bathing event. AND you can scooch crossways in the tub, which is perfect for resting your neck on one tub wall and resting your lower legs on the opposite shelf.

The bathroom in question had been redone in the 1970s or 1980s — cultured “marble” vanity top, fluorescent tube lighting, curling yellowed vinyl floor. Except for the tub area, tucked into an alcove, all the walls were clad in raw, unfinished wood, laid on the diagonal. I was told that the wood came from an actual barn. There was no way to clean it at all except to brush the dust off.

I gutted the entire room — the only visible remainders were the ceilings, and the tub, which was reglazed.

4. Jessie says:

I need advice on hanging a new curtain rod for the Cinderella tub. I ordered a new rod and attachment pieces. However it has two support poles that hang down from the ceiling and I am not sure where to hang them. My dIlemma is how the shower curtain will work as it can’t pass over the two hanging rods. I am a new owner of a fabulous 1950’s house and trying to keep it as original as possible so I have no doubt this is only the first of many questions! Thanks for whatever help you can give me!

1. pam kueber says:

Funny, but when I put “how to hang a shower curtain on a neo angle rod” in google, I get junk sites. hahahaha. However, this photo shows using only one support. I think this would be fine, as long as your shower curtain, liner and shower rings are not too heavy. Get ya two shower curtains – one will go left, the other will go right. How does that sound? If you look at the Cinderella bathtub on my site from a vintage ad, it seems like this was the way it was done — kind of like drawing drapes. Let me know if this helps! Send pics!

1. Andrew says:

On 4 years late, but I have a cindarella tub that my neighbor gave me and it included what was the original curtain rod. The rod is one piece and makes a 90 degree bend; the corner is chamfered just like the tub. This rod design worked for 60 years. Let me know if you would like me to send you a picture.

5. Haans Petruschke says:

Hi,

I’m planning to renovate my main bath. It has an American Standard, Neo Angle tub. in desert rose color, with no chips corrosion. I have heard people will buy these retro fixtures and remove them. How does one find such a buyer?

6. Julie says:

I found Save the Pink Tile while searching for how to cover up my pink tile. I was convinced to save the tile. I took the pledge! Then I found out we have a white Cinderella tub! I love our tub. I just saw the same model we have here http://deabath.com/Original/Or_tubs1/or_tubs1.html . Expensive! I knew it was cool but apparently it is also valuable.

This says it’s a 1966 tub. Our house was built in 1937. So perhaps our tub was part of an earlier renovation.

7. JuliaM says:

My house was built in 1937 and the bathtub is still the original one. And it has a metal hook at one end that we assume was used to hold back the shower curtain 🙂

8. Missy says:

Hoping for answers re plumbing set-up with a vintage tub!
    We have recently purchased a 1960’s brick ranch – custom designed by the original owner. In the main bathroom (and the only full bathroom) is a giant recessed tub – it kind of looks more like the American Standard pictured but it’s square & recessed into a tiled wall like the picture of the Köhler Mayflower. I had never seen a tub like this before!
    Now the problem is: the shower head, tub faucet and water control knob (I can’t think of the word) are on the far side. Yep. The corner that is the farthest recessed away from the edge. You either have to lean WAY out over the tub, which is super dangerous, more so for short people Or actually stand in the tub, in order to turn the water on and off. The drain is on the opposite corner – the near-side.
    I’m trying to figure out if that was normal design for tubs of this style or just a …unique…aspect of my bathroom done for reasons connected to the adventure of plumbing on a slab. The answer may affect what we ultimately do to renovate the bathroom (I like the overall style but it does need some fixing up).
    Thanks for any tips!

1. Pam Kueber says:

Hi Missy, I am not an expert on this issue. When it comes to things having to do with safety, it’s best to consult with a professional.

9. Stacey Fraser says:

Hi there,

We purchased a mid-mod home in Riverside, California, The main bathroom looks to have been renovated in the 80’s but the original Cinderella tub remains and is in great condition – sadly it looks to hav been reglazed beige – we are thinking we would like to reglaze again in a different color. The wall mount taps are leaking from the inside so we know we need to to open up the walls and retile. We want to keep the tub but we are thinking about updating everything else – Do you have recommendations a vintage/modern reno? Is subway tile best? What kind of vanity would work? How do you prevent water form going everywhere when showering? Would glass doors work or should we do a custom shower curtain rod with tie backs? I want vintage but ultra modern – sort of a
    take on the original mid-mod design.

1. Pam Kueber says:

Hi Stacey,

Sounds like you are about to have some fun! To answer a few of your questions:

– Subway tiles are not authentically appropriate for mid century homes. For the most part, 4x4s were used although we do houses with smaller mosaics, usually squares, on the walls. For tile stories see >> https://retrorenovation.com/category/bathroom-categories/tile/

– We have at least one story showing an original (we believe) Cindy curtain: https://retrorenovation.com/2018/06/11/anatomy-of-an-original-cinderella-bath-tub-curtain-in-carolyns-gorgeous-1959-pink-bathroom/

– For design ideas, dive into the entire Bathroom category https://retrorenovation.com/category/bathroom-categories/ and also take a look at Time Capsule houses https://retrorenovation.com/category/all-about-the-era/time-capsule-homes/

– And, be sure to Renovate Safe! >> https://retrorenovation.com/renovate-safe/