H

Hollywood Regency time capsule ranch house in Burbank, Calif.

1950-living-room1950-card-table

Snaps to reader Shaun, who spotted this 1950 time capsule ranch home in Burbank. It looks like it got some Hollywood Regency style updating in the 60s — very groovy. I love the living room – a long, open-concept space properly anchored by a lovely L-shaped sofa. This layout — with the couch facing the window flanked by two chairs — is so typical, inviting, and livable. Lots of great stuff in this house. Like, I want that poker table with the tufted guy chairs in avocado naugahyde (left).  One thing I would do differently in the living room if this were my house: Take the pinch pleats and valence all the way to the ceiling to maximize the impression of height.

1950-bathroom-vintage-wallpaper

vintage-wallpaper-railroadYou know that I love wallpaper. And in the guest bath — novelty wallpaper is even better. Coincidentally (although nothing is coincidental between the retro decorating gods and me), I just bought a stash of vintage railroad themed wallpaper (left). Life is short, people, make an impression!

1950-hollywood-regency-bedroom

The bedroom (and other parts of the house) definitely have a Hollywood Regency feel. Appropriate if you live in Burbank, I guess. Thanks to real estate agent David Fogg for the permission to use a few photos of this wonderful house.

1. Michelle says:

I love the bathroom wallpaper. Where can I get some? I have tried looking online with searches like retro bathroom wallpaper, etc…but can not find it!!

2. Kiki Dulane says:

Hi Jill,

Yes, we really loved so much of the furniture, but we have a small house in Northridge, and the only thing we really needed was a small round dining table, so we bought that. We love it! It is perfect for our space. I wanted to take much more, but we have no room.

Good luck with the house, it is really great!

3. Jill says:

Hi Kiki and all,

We just love that hutch too! We are rather new to MCM furniture (having spent our time imagining what goes in a 1932 Snow White cottage all this time) but our tastes have always been ecclectic.
    We honestly don’t know anything about the piece…other than it is perfect where it lives right now in the dining room.

Kiki, do you also live in Burbank? Just how many devotees of retorenovation live in the area?

4. Kiki Dulane says:

Hi all, and especially Jill,

I contacted the realtors of this house right after I saw it on this site and was lucky enough to have the current owners show it to me last night (I was interested in some of the furniture – a true retro recon move!). What a gem you have! I can’t wait to see what you will do with it – and now understand why you might want to remove the bathroom wallpaper. It looks to be in beautiful condition, and I hope you share some of your renovations on this site. My heart is warmed by the fact that you will be keeping some of the most beautiful furniture pieces, they go so well in the house. The little den is amazing, and I loved all of the built in cabinets. I hope you enjoy the house, and good luck, and happy retro renovation!

Oh, and if you change your mind and want to sell that hutch, let me know! 😉

5. pam kueber says:

Ha. I just looked and the wallpaper I just bought is EXACTLY the same as the second red-and-blue train set. I declare it: “In!”

6. Jill says:

Hi Pam!
    I tried sending you a photo revealing the really cool thing that is hiding behind the door in that bathroom with the orange/brown Americana wallpaper…and my email bounced back at me. Can you help me with the correct email?

I know the wallpaper has it’s fans…but i think I have a really good reason to strip it off.

Also, Tikimama, I’ll let you know about furniture once the deal is all done.

The door bell chimes still work! (“Westminster”) But they need a bit of tweaking, they don’t always quite strike. Such a lovely way to announce that company’s come.

7. Janet Gore says:

Jill, our 1961 rancher has cottage cheese ceilings in the den, laundry and powder room, and kitchen. A year ago, when we moved in, I was determined to “oust” it … I’ve since come to accept it for what it is … mid-century and great! Gook luck … we’ll all be watching!

Comments are closed.