G

Gorgeous mid-century sectional sofa + special offer to readers

vintage sofa sectional with built in table

Reader Lara spotted this amazing green brocade mid-century sectional, available from Etsy seller RedEyeVintage. The sofa is in Portland, Maine, and it’s $4,600. To be sure, that is a lot of money — but I have never seen a sectional this beautiful. And apparently it’s in phenomenal shape – kept under the proverbial plastic slip covers for years. Note the variation in the tufting on the sofa back. It also has side table built in at one end, and the ottoman converts to a coffee table. This one – pure lust. Update: Seller Marnie is thrilled I’m featuring this. If you are really interested – mention this site and she will take $250 off the purchase price.

1. pam kueber says:

Oh yeah, Cindy, I can see it in mine, too — two different places. This is excruciating. How ’bout you and I buy it — and time share?

2. pam kueber says:

Also – I don’t think that $4,600 is an unreasonable price. I found my sectional – it cost me $300. I then spent $250 on fabric (really cheap, I found it at an outlet), then another $1,000 (or more, I forget exactly) to reupholser it. The new upholstery job is not holding up particularly well – as the back of my sectional is very tufted, too. We need to have it repaired. To get something completely pristine – that will hold up without need for reupholstery for many more years — I don’t think the price is out of this world.

1. Jason says:

I bought a Krohler 3 pc sectional on Ebay for $800, then spent an additional $3K+ in good fabric and reupholstery. I often consider the price of a well cared for original Vs the cost to reupholster.

3. denise says:

LUST?? ABSOLUTELY! Holy cow it’s amazing. LOVE! would give up the first child for this….ah, good thing I don’t have one….Beautifully delicious! Whomever adds it to their home is one lucky dog. If I owned it I’d end up being too controlling about how it got sat upon, and absolutely no dogs allowed.

4. Retrocat says:

I absolutely love it! If that is in fact the original upholstery, it had to have been a custom order, because that fabric was really not the trend during that time period (late 1950s to 1960s) for that style of sofa. That fabric is the type of fabric you would have seen on a French Provencial Sofa of that era. I still think it looks great, though!

5. Joe says:

Not to detract from this wonderful couch but it you hit eBay on any given day and search MidCentury sectional, Danish sofa, 1950’s couch, etc, you’ll find a slew of options that are much less than this one. I’m sure someone has the budget for this awesome couch, just not me.

6. Lara Jane says:

I’m with you, Pam.

I do watch eBay and Craigslist and any other site I can think of… Yes, many nice 1950s sofas can be had for a few hundred dollars, but I haven’t seen one this exquisite in a long time!

I shared it in the hopes that someone in our circle will snag it. Indeed, it’s not out-of-this world expensive, but it is out of my grasp, not to mention my geographical area.

Someone take this baby home! And please let us know so we can share your joy while simultaneously seething with envy! 😉

7. sixoh says:

I bought one of these in ’96 for $50. It didn’t have the ottoman and it was rust colored. It was every bit as perfect as this one…I sold it on ebay in 2001 for…..$300! Zoinks!

8. TappanTrailerTami says:

This is pure sectional lust! The most obvious and amazing thing about this set is that it has survived its entire life without becoming a scratching post for a cat or cats *shudder*