mid-century-modern-living-room

Steven, Michael and the little guy is Bobby.
Steven, Michael and the pup is Bobby.

Rochester Steven has completed some drop dead gorgeous updates to his 1957 Alcoa Aluminum house, and shares the details and images. This is the third story on these late-1950s “demonstration” houses. We first featured a time capsule for sale in Wisconsin. I think that’s how Steven found this blog, and we featured his house in New York state, along with the home’s original brochure, just a few weeks later. There were only 23 of these houses built — and Steven, Michael and Bobby are amazing caretakers. This house will knock you off your chair — it’s worthy of Architectural Digest.

Steven  writes:
Pam, There are three areas that we have addressed in the past several months:
1. Restored the house back to the original color of purple (the front anyway, have to work on the back next spring). It was painted brown some years ago, most likely due to the unsightly fading over the years of the purple that we have seen on a couple other Alcoa houses. We removed one of the aluminum panel pieces from the garage and retrieved the color from the un-weathered side of it.
restored-kitchen-area

2. Partially restored the kitchen. When the kitchen was gutted and remodeled years ago the upper metal cabinets were installed in the storage area of the garage. We had them painted the light blue that you see now at an auto shop and reinstalled them. I think that the Auto Body painting worked out great. Especially when it is metal. It was a bit of a pain to cart them all over there!!! Since we only had the original upper cabinets we went with some simple black faced cabinets to complete the lower ones with white Corian for for the counter.  We also reconfigured the layout of the kitchen to more reflect the original kitchen in the brochure. The bottom cabinets are made out of wood with black lacquer paint and aluminum pulls… they were purchased at IKEA and are quite inexpensive. The tiles are new tiles with a vintage feel and were purchased locally. We selected the color of both the back splash tiles and the cabinets so that they relate nicely to the multi-colored [“Mondrian”-style] cabinets [shown just below] that face the family room

mondrian-kitchen
(The “Mondrian” cabinets are original to the house. I believe that all of the Aloca houses that were built had these unless another option was specified. They are wood with Formica facing.)
purple-sofa-and-starburst-mirror
3. Family Room/lounge area has been furnished with many great finds from local shops and online. Still somewhat of a work in progress……….
dining room

We were able to see another Alcoa house that was located in Pittsburgh this fall when we went down to see Fallingwater. We got out of the car and were looking at it and the owner saw us, greeted us and invited us in for a tour, What a treat!!!!!! It was so interesting to see the subtle differences between our home and his.

Woah. Thank you, Steven. This is fantastic. Understatement. What a marvelous place you have created. And a purple house! Who woulda thunk it. LOVE LOVE LOVE. I am for sure coming to visit next summer. Perhaps you can adopt me.

Readers, to get to more of Steven’s photos, available on his flickr stream, click on any of the photos in this post.

CategoriesSteel kitchens
  1. Barb says:

I grew up in Brighton and remember the house when it was purple during my childhood. Every time we drove by my Mom would point out to me, “That house is made entirely of aluminum.” I am curious how you came up with the compass for the floor bathroom. Was that in the original who is it something you came up with? It’s very cool. Congratulations on all you efforts. It is looking quite handsome.

2. Steve says:

We have a friend who is an interior designer and he came up with the floor design and it was not original to the house….ends up being one of my favorites!!!!! Pam posted a story here at the site if you want to read more about it.

Do you still live in Rochester?

3. DON OCONNELL says:

What memories. When I got discharged from the Army in 1957, I was offered a job, by moving to Agusta having the house built and act as a saleman for the building. Was supposed to join Country Clubs etc and promote the heck out of the project. Only trouble at that time was the building codes. I decided not to take the position, not because of the project, but I had spent some 16 weeks in Augusta going through basic and then Military Police training. I had enough of Agusta . Really a great city but wanted to get back North to be with my family. THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES.

4. Barb says:

Steve, I am coming back to Rochester for a 40th high school reunion in Fall 2014. I will be sure to drive by the house to see the purple that I remember so fondly from childhood. You have made some great improvements. Glad you liked Fallingwater. Did you get to Kentuck Knob too? I’ve been a member of the Frank Lloyd Wright Conservancy for at least 20 years.

5. lynn Valentino says:

Hi I am dismantling my Alcoa home. Do you know anyone who may be interested exterior and interior walls,windows and kitchen. I live in North Eastern Ohio. I can also be reached on facebook.