A

America’s most amazing 19-year-old collector? 75 photos!

matts-whole-troll-collection-lot

When I first really started using my room in middle school, it was nothing like it is today. The walls were bare, the carpet messy and there was barely any furniture. My first collection was my posters. They were cheap and accessible — a theme that most of my treasures have. Over time I started pulling stuff out of the basement, garage, closets, everywhere. I started attending more yard sales, then discovered the wondrous world of estate sales. Goodwill and other local thrift stores were another great place of discovery (and still are today).

The more treasures I got, the cleaner my room became. Everything has its place — every night I pretty much do a quick run around and fix/scoot/arrange some things here ‘n there. Since I got new carpet, I have learned to love the vacuum. I use treasure hunting as entertainment, education, and family time. Every Saturday morning is estate sale day in my house, and oh do we enjoy it. Even my 12-year-old brother has an extensive Made in Japan S&P shaker collection to be amazed at. Every time my mother comes upstairs to visit she never knows what she is going to see. There is always something new to you look at in my room, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Aunt Pam adds: I wrote the headline: My nephew Matt must be one of America’s most amazing 19 year old collectors. Antiquing’s future is in good hands. I knew, when I asked him to start helping me out with the blog, that he like collecting. But, I had No Idea. And, he is even a neatnik (he didn’t get that gene from me, I think he got it from his mother, my sister Jenni. Remember Jenni from our visit to the pink bathroom in Lexington?) I am proud to call him kin.

Here’s Matt’s slide show. To launch it, click on the first  thumbnail. The image will enlarge. Proceed via the arrows under each image by his description. If you need to stop or ‘lose your place’ you can launch the slide show again via a thumbnail anywhere within the show. That is:  You don’t have to start at the beginning.

1. Janice says:

I can honestly say I’ve never seen so many collections amassed in one bedroom/bathroom! I know it’s been said before, but….WOW! I don’t know how you keep everything dusted, neat and tidy, but it is. The macrame owls brought back some great memories for me. I was a macrame-ing fool in the 70’s and one year EVERYONE in my family got an owl made in a variety of colors. I also had a lot of trolls growing up, but NEVER this many! Thanks for sharing Matt, you have such a fun and free spirited family.

2. Amy says:

Features like this are why I love this blog. On other decor sites (such as one that rhymes with “Schmapartment Nerapy”), the comments section would be filled with people moaning about clutter and hoarding and how they personally just couldn’t LIVE with all this STUFF. Here, it’s embraced, and it is wonderful. More power to collectors like Matt!

3. Lynne says:

Your Aunt Pam must be so proud! Such a great young man! My daughter is also 19……she just broke up with her boyfriend…..he was “too boring”……soooo…would YOU be available? Just wondering…….

4. Northside CJ says:

Wow, that’s pretty impressive. There’s no way I could possibly dust all of that without going insane. I loved that frog-lamp in the picture with the pink swan, that looked really neat.

5. Judi says:

At first, I was’t even going to click through the photos. I was sure that such a large amount of stuff would bug me. I’m glad I decided to take a look. I was fascinated! First off, I saw so much stuff associated with my youthful days of the 60s and 70s — trolls, mushrooms, macrame owls, etc. Fun memories there. Then, there was all the stuff that would have been at my grandma’s house, like the little pitchers by the bathroom sink, and busts of presidents. More good memories. And then stuff I didn’t even know existed, like those tall animals. Interesting! And it’s all arranged in such a creative way. My guess is that any teen who has put so much time and effort into such collections will have a very interesting and fruitful future, full of fun, too. Good job, Matt!

6. Barbara says:

My 10 year old son is starting to amass anything made of shells such as animals, people etc…, mini houses/stores etc…, Pez, boats/ships and coconuts that are made into peoples faces. I am sure I am missing many new ideas but he has the bug lol. I am glad to see this collecting can be a tidy thing. LOL

7. Patrick says:

wow man! so young and already a passionated collector.. so colorfull! i bet when he own his own home he will outdo himself! (forgive me for my bad English, i’m a dutch guy living in Sweden)