L

Let’s help Bernadette find a cheerful floor to coordinate with a boomerang countertop

boomerang countertop with plaid floorMy recent frenzy of flooring posts (and there are more to come!) resulted from a recent note from a reader asking for help in finding the floor peeking out from the underneath the diner countertop above. Bernadette writes:

I am purchasing the Formica boomerang laminate for a countertop in my laundry room in aqua, and would like to purchase the flooring used in the photo on the Formica website.  I would like to purchase this flooring, but even Formica does not know anything about it when I called today! Very frustrating! Any help you can provide would be welcome.  Thanks!

After I received Bernadette’s note, I started looking all over online to find a floor that had, at the very least, a similar feel to the one above. I remember this style being popular circa 1994 – I was renovating the Michigan house then, and recall that the style — in a vinyl sheet — was quite popular. But today: I can’t find Anything with the look. HELP! A prize from Pammy’s treasure chest to the reader who finds the best possibility — if there is one!

1. Sarah says:

I don’t know of anything contemporary, but there is a bathroom floor in my mom’s house exactly like this! It’s achieved with 3 sizes of ceramic tile. (The house was built in 1937 but it may have been fixed up about 10 years later). I’m not sure how pleasant that would be in a kitchen, though (although I have seen tiles that small in kitchens before).

2. You can get that colour and the aqua one at Home Depot. I saw them the other day in the counter tops area. I live in Ottawa Canada but Im sure its the same at all Home Depots. Its a custom order but its available and looks just like that, boomerang and all.

1. pam kueber says:

Yes, Neville — we are all over that boomerang countertop — see all my Countertop pots. The question is: Where to find the floor shown?

2. Sara D says:

Hey Neville, I am also from Ottawa. Woot Woot! (I too have seen these countertops of which you speak in our local Home Depot hahahaha) I have not however seen such a floor. I hope that someone can point us all in the right direction!

3. Amy says:

I just came across this site when trying to search for more brown cathrineholm pieces to match the one I found at the thrift store for 2.00 yesterday! You have a great page here- I’m a follower now! 😀

4. Kat R&D says:

I just finished my months long vinyl selection process so I just so happened to have a Mannington and Armstrong catalog of the current patterns they offer right next to my computer. While I didn’t find anything similar in the Mannington book I did find some kinda-sorta-not-really-but-close patterns in the Armstrong one.

Templeton:

Travis:

5. Lynne says:

My suggestion would be for Bernadette to try the back corners of the remnant rooms at the small flooring stores. They can keep some pretty old stuff. I recently got a length of aqua and pink speckled inlaid vinyl for my laundry room for .50 a square foot. Six feet wide, and they had a huge roll of it, even in a few other colorways. I’m not sure where Bernadette lives, or how big of an area she is wanting to cover, but I can drive over and take a look-see what “Ralph’s Flooring Fashions” has to offer!