vintage silhouettes

I’ve been all a-flutter wrapping up a four-week trip visiting family in Kentucky — and am heading home to Massachusetts this morning. Four weeks without my dear family and my dear Astro! But it was wonderful to see my Mom and Dad and brothers and sisters and nieces and nephews and Aunt Mary Anne and Uncle Bob and cousin Timmy and Kris and more. Above: Me and my siblings – except for the youngest, who must have yet been a twinkle — in vintage silhouettes circa 1969. Still hanging in the family hallway.

1. Amy Hill says:

Welcome Home! There is nothing like your own bed & your own coffeepot!

The sillohuettes are adorable. I’m guressing yours is the top one!

My children had the same teacher for 1st grade, and she made something similar with fabric for her students. She saved some of the green calico for those with younger siblings, like my son, and so I have a pair that match. I have them hanging in my home, too.

2. Ann-Marie Meyers says:

How sweet. You are so lucky these were saved. My mom, well, you know. Suffice to say, the silhouettes of my younger siblings and me were lost to the ages long ago.
    I like to think they are gracing the walls of some vintage lover in the Chicago suburbs somewhere, but they were probably thrown away.

3. Lauryn says:

Love it, such a perfect icon of childhood in the 60s & 70s. I think my mom still has the same kind of little silhouettes of me and my siblings … I’ll have to check with her the next time we’re back there. Thanks for the little trip down memory lane.

4. veg-o-matic says:

Hey, Pam–
    Are your silhouettes signed? They look suspiciously like ones done of my brother and me in Massachusetts in the early ’60s.

veg

5. GB500 says:

My grandmother had a charm bracelet with little silhouettes of boys and girls — each had one of our names engraved on it. Fourteen in all!

6. Jana (Berniecat) says:

Hi Pam,
    Welcome back! Thanks for sharing your family and the wonderful experience of renovating your mom’s bathroom (with Aunt Mary Anne) and sharing this bit of your childhood with us. I know as a boomer, family time and family memories become sweeter and more important to me. Speaking of family memories, will you “fess up” and let us know if Amy guessed correctly and the top silhouette is you? 🙂