vintage patio glider mill finishThe estate sale in Pittsfield was a good one. I found some stuff to buy that wasn’t TOO bulky, as my storage space is bursting at the seams. In addition, there were lots of fun items that I didn’t buy, which I thought would be great for the blog. The best example: The vintage glider above. It’s “mill finish” aluminum (I guess?)… the chair hangs off a bar connected to those V’s on the end… and there’s a reversible cover. It was $20. A great price, I thought — I’ve never seen one like this before. But, I did not buy it, because I don’t have a spot for it. Here was its original habitat:

vintage patio furniture

A covered porch behind the garage overlooking a backyard pool!

vintage patio light by a swimming pool

I liked the light by the pool, too. Groovy, baby.

1970s dinette set

Even though the house was a 1930’s-era duplex (I’m guessing….), the interior had been redone in the 1970s.

1970s kitchen lightI fooled around with the image above, on my photo program. Gave it a little more black light glo.

moe pendant light from the 1970sI bought this light — I haven’t taken the top off yet to check the maker, but I’m guessing Virden or Moe. Don’t know what the DH will say. Perhaps I will serve him a Tequila Sunrise before I lay the 1970s Case de Torquemado swag light on him.

I bought some other little stuff, too — some of the pictures are in the gallery below. What are you finding in your travels this weekend?

To see the slide show, click on the thumbnail, it will enlarge, then use the arrows just below to move forward or back. You can start or stop the show from any slide.

1. Gavin Hastings says:

Good luck finding them!

Ellis Curtains of Massachusetts were just about the last to make them.
    I found some “ok” ones on e-bay…skimpy ruffles and had to reduce them from FIVE inches to three. Still not right.

These new “old” ones are perfect. I like to iron the ruffle flat, as I think they look better.

2. Gavin Hastings says:

Marquisette is a stiffer sheer fabric and woven with a tiny noticable grid pattern.
    Closer to organdie than current polyester sheer fabric.
    If yours is coarser, it could be fiberglass.

A picot-ed edge looks like a zig-zag stitch-with a point. They stopped this edge in the early 80’s…I was told that the machinery that created it- by removing several lengthwise threads, zigzag stitching each remaining side, and cutting between, was well over 100 years old and just not replacable. (I called the company)

3. Tikimama says:

Mine is the pic of the pink globe-shaped thingy. I grabbed it at an estate sale because I thought it was an egg cooker. When I got home, I realized it only has the little cap opening at the top,and is marked “Use air setting only”. It also has lines marked Large, Medium, and Small Load, so I’m thinking it must be for the clothes dryer??? I’ve never seen anything like this, but I’m sure someone will know.

I’ve just hit two estate sales this week, and came back with tons of goodies. I’m planning on a photo shoot and post to my blog, but I’ll try to come back here with something special 🙂

4. Elaine says:

Going through those pix of the estate sale was almost like meeting some old friends, sorry to hear they had passed on. All those beautiful things! I love the glass cookware, looks like it still has the labels on it. Corning?

5. phil q says:

Thanks for your feedback!

I don’t recall noticing a grid pattern. If I recall correctly, they are a “looser” weave than modern sheers and have a silky feel/look to them…maybe rayon? The turqouise accent look almost like piping or beading, but is actually stiched on to both sides of the edges as if it was also a hemming.

If I can get mom to dig them out, I’ll see how well they photograph. They are sooo vintage and I have not seen anything on the market like them.

6. Michael says:

*LOVE* the “space age” sofa!!!!! I’ve never seen anything like it before. Looks straight out of “Logan’s Run”!

7. David says:

The pink globe thing is for use in the dryer. If clothes have remained in the dryer after drying and become wrinkled, you’d add some water to the “dryer ball”, toss it in with the wrinkled clothes, and let it run through a cycle.

My mom had one — she might even still have it. I know she had a pink dryer at one time. Maybe they came together.

8. Tikimama says:

Hey David, thanks! That’s what I was suspecting, so thanks for the confirmation. Since I am *always* leaving the clothes in the dryer too long, I think I’ll put it to use!

9. pam kueber says:

It was still there when I went back at 1:30 Sunday, 1/2 hr before the sale ended….

10. Anita Weimann says:

I love all of it. Garage & estate sales here in Calif central valley are awful, junk, clothes and kids stuff. I have to go to the hospice thrif stores to find anything good. You all are so lucky!

11. Susie says:

We didn’t get to go out thrifting this past weekend, but we did record a new podcast about our all time best thrifting finds! It got me in the mood to head out this Saturday for a marathon thrift day. By the way, that space age sofa is amazing!

12. A. W. Richards says:

Hi Pam, the wife and I live in an apartment complex that was built (according to public records) sometime around 1969 or 1970. Two of our kitchen cabinet doors (above the stove) have Jewel Lite plexi panels in them (it’s pretty neat looking, I’ll send a pic sometime if you’d like). They’re identical to the green plexi with the circles.