tom tru I have discovered Tom Tru. Searching around on the google, I find anecdotal information: The company, Tom Tru Corp., was based in Lambertville, New Jersey. One site says that the company’s mid century pop art work was distributed by Raymor. Media included: Tiles, canvas prints, silkscreen wall hangings, painted (?) wood blocks. One thread said Robert Bushong (signed “R. Bushong) created wall hangings for the company. Above: That’s a Robert Bushong print — on canvas, framed in aluminum — created for Tom Tru, of Lambertville, NJ. For sale from ebay seller moderndecodence (thanks for permission to show the photo) — (link now expired) — along with the orb-shaped Nivico sound sphere speakers. A very big round <3

1. mark says:

Since each Tom Tru was produced in some quantity and occasionally even in two sizes, with the intention of being flexible, inexpensive decor, value is essentially what the market will bear, and all in the eye of the beholder. The simplicity of midcentury art has regained popularity recently, but if I were you I’d start on eBay. Check out the completed listings, and keep watching. I’ve worked with a couple of restorer/appraisers, and each one has researched auction catalogs without luck, and then looked on eBay and rounded up 10-20%, on the assumption that online art auctions are undervalued. (But is that true for Tru, too?! Who knows….) Condition is key, as is size and subject matter. There’s an attractive Tom Tru flower print by Helen Webber currently showing — but not selling — on eBay. It’s small (just 20″ square) but priced steeply, at the price a 4′ square edition might fetch. And it’s only in fair condition.

Your piece — is it by MC Escher? In less copyright-restricted times, Tom Tru often reproduced well-known art, like Josef Albers’ Homage to the Square. I’m a big fan of Tom Tru, and I have a few. I’d love to see a picture of yours –

2. Kevin says:

Figured I’d add another relic to the list of surviving artwork of R. Bushong. I found this in Grey Bears Santa Cruz, California, a place for seniors to connect and thrive. There is a thrift store with amazing pieces, which is where i found this gem. The colors spoke to me and I definitely love how it compliments my own unique sense of style. Enjoy!

3. pam kueber says:

Readers cannot post photos to this site. You can post it to a photo-sharing program (flickr, etc) and then post a link, i fyou like…

4. Kathleen Cwirko says:

Have a very cool R. Bushong wall hanging of a Venice scene in gold, brown and burnt orange.
    In great condition with original wood and hanging string.
    Please help me find a valuation for this.

5. Jean says:

I have a tom tru astist-designer original 46×46 floral on black backsground. The tag on the back tells his history and looks to be quiet old
    Does this have any value?

6. Robert Scott says:

I have been looking for information on the Robert Bushong Linen piece I own and finally found this site. The art is of what looks like an Oil Field – it is black/blue and signed Robert Bushong in the lower right hand corner

Has anyone seen this theme in Robert Bushong’s catalog of work?

7. Robert Scott says:

I may have written Robert Burshong – sorry I meant the piece I own is signed Robert R. Bushong. I’ve seen a variety of his work but nothing like the linen tapestry I own. Our piece looks like an abstract oil field at dusk – I’m not looking for a value (I use worthpoint for this) I am looking for the history of this particular scene. I’ve seen some of R. Bushong’s San Francisco pieces, and this leads me to believe he may have traveled south to Los Angeles in the Mid-Century area when oil fields dotted the landscape of Los Angeles/Southern California. But this is just a guess

8. I purchased a silkscreened wallhanging today titled “Chanticleer” and signed Robert R. Bushon NOT Robert R. Bushong???? It does not have a Tru Tom marking on the back. The image is of three roosters in blue and brown on a black ground. Does anyone have a clue about this piece? Seems odd to be so close. THanks in advance. Chris

9. Tanya Ingram says:

I found a very charming wall hanging by Helen Webber with Tom Tru Copyright in the back. Can’t really find anything that compares online. I would just like some more history/info regarding this piece if anyone has any knowledge to impart. Trying to post a pic.