retro color mixerTalking recently about vintage Sunbeam mixers, reader Gary suggested using caution with well-used estate sale mixers, warning:

Often use and age have diminished or worn away the laminents on the motor’s rotor assembly. Oil also often migrates to contact parts too. The result is a burning or oily smell when the item is powered up.

At the same time Gary offered up a beautiful alternative for a stand mixer made today in a rainbow of retro colors:

Martha Stewart brought back great vintage kitchen colors like turquoise, jade and pink in her Artisan 325-watt KitchenAid mixer line. Everything is new, looks great and runs without issue.

Yup, the Kitchen Artisan Series 5-Quart Mixer is one nice looking hunka hunka steel.

It’s available in 24 retro colors — surely one to match your retro kitchen style.  The very firs image shown is Cobalt — a doppelganger for my 2012 Color of the Year, Bitossi Rimini Blu. Such a regal color. But oh my, all these colors — and there are more, you can see them all on Amazon — are gorgeous. Valentine’s Day, anyone?

1. 75Heather says:

I watched and watched and watched for a good sale price on a Kitchenaide the year before last and finally pounced when the aqua one went on sale on Amazon. I absolutely love it!!

2. gsciencechick says:

DH bought one in Ice for Christmas. Full disclosure, he is also interested in using the meat grinder and sausage stuffer attachments, so it was really a gift for “us”. I’m not a huge baker such as for Christmas, but I made pizza dough, and it was awesome. We could not decide between Ice and the Cobalt, but we have a Big Chill in Beach Blue, so clearly we made the right decision here.

1. Pencils says:

I got the ice cream maker years ago shortly after I got the mixer, and it was a disaster. So much easier to use a separate ice cream maker. I do kinda want to try the other attachments though! Also, I’m very jealous of your Beach blue Big Chill. I’ve wanted one for years.

3. Lynne says:

We have a ho- hum white one. I wish these mixers had a clear glass mixing bowl, so I could see what’s going on. It never fails, just when I think everything is all well combined, I find UNmixed dry flour or cocoa when I pour the batter into the pans.

1. peggy says:

Dear Lynne and readers, I found very early on,to always place my wet ingredients in the mixing bowl first. That way you don’t end up with un -mixed product sticking to the bottom or sides of your bowl after mixing. Just scrape w/ spatula and mix until completely done. Saves a lot of time.

4. I have a white one given as a gift from my parents at least 10 years ago. When all the great colors started coming out, I lusted after many of them. Now, however, after all the great commenting about what’s timeless and classic, I have a new appreciation for my white one. These mixers are too expensive to swap out for color, and my white one will look good no matter what color my kitchen is.

5. Marion Powell says:

My kids bought me an Empire Red Artisan for Christmas. I still have my mom’s from 1969. My daughter said she wants that one when she’s on her own. It will probably last through my grandchildren. ItS one hunk a machine.

6. Valerie says:

A great place to get a good deal on the KA mixer’s is on their online shop. Got my mom a fabulous apple red one the other year for Christmas and paid under $200. They are factory refurbished and I swear that stuff often works better, b/c they do so many quality control checks on them the second time round. She bakes A LOT and hasn’t had any problems with it. I really had to “stalk” the website until they had an apple red one for sale, so you do have to patient when looking for a specific color.

7. AnnieP625 says:

I bought the Pistaschio Green in April, 2006 and I still love it almost 6 yrs. later. It is a great machine and I have never had a problem with it. I swear I was cursed when making sugar cookies until I got this mixer. I replaced my vintage Sunbeam mixer with this one and have not looked back!

8. Amy Bullock says:

I am looking earnestly for a Kitchenaid in Jadite Green… I believe it used to be called ‘seacrest’ green. If anyone knows where/how I could obtain one in this color I would be so grateful. The pistachio is too green, and Martha Stewart’s aqua is too blue. The one I have seen(though rarely) is a true green/blue color. It looks like a color out of the movie Gidget;)
    Any ideas – give me a shout!
    Love Kitchenaid 🙂

9. Pencils says:

I have one in Tangerine, got it for my wedding ten years ago. I LOVE it. I don’t bake as much as I would like, as none of us *need* that much baked goods, but I do use it. I don’t use it whenever I bake, it’s easier to use my little hand mixer (also a Kitchenaid) that I’ve had a long time, but some recipes need the big mixer. I just made banana bread with the stand mixer. The recipe calls for mixing the eggs and sugar for ten minutes at medium to high speed, which gives a really airy batter. (You sift the dry ingredients together separately and then carefully fold it all together to keep from losing the air.) Everyone loves that bread.