retro color mixerTalking recently about vintage Sunbeam mixers, reader Gary suggested using caution with well-used estate sale mixers, warning:

Often use and age have diminished or worn away the laminents on the motor’s rotor assembly. Oil also often migrates to contact parts too. The result is a burning or oily smell when the item is powered up.

At the same time Gary offered up a beautiful alternative for a stand mixer made today in a rainbow of retro colors:

Martha Stewart brought back great vintage kitchen colors like turquoise, jade and pink in her Artisan 325-watt KitchenAid mixer line. Everything is new, looks great and runs without issue.

Yup, the Kitchen Artisan Series 5-Quart Mixer is one nice looking hunka hunka steel.

It’s available in 24 retro colors — surely one to match your retro kitchen style.  The very firs image shown is Cobalt — a doppelganger for my 2012 Color of the Year, Bitossi Rimini Blu. Such a regal color. But oh my, all these colors — and there are more, you can see them all on Amazon — are gorgeous. Valentine’s Day, anyone?

1. AnnieP625 says:

I bought the Pistaschio Green in April, 2006 and I still love it almost 6 yrs. later. It is a great machine and I have never had a problem with it. I swear I was cursed when making sugar cookies until I got this mixer. I replaced my vintage Sunbeam mixer with this one and have not looked back!

2. Amy Bullock says:

I am looking earnestly for a Kitchenaid in Jadite Green… I believe it used to be called ‘seacrest’ green. If anyone knows where/how I could obtain one in this color I would be so grateful. The pistachio is too green, and Martha Stewart’s aqua is too blue. The one I have seen(though rarely) is a true green/blue color. It looks like a color out of the movie Gidget;)
    Any ideas – give me a shout!
    Love Kitchenaid 🙂

3. peggy says:

Dear Lynne and readers, I found very early on,to always place my wet ingredients in the mixing bowl first. That way you don’t end up with un -mixed product sticking to the bottom or sides of your bowl after mixing. Just scrape w/ spatula and mix until completely done. Saves a lot of time.

4. Amy says:

I have one in Seacrest Green. It took me many years to find it. I was lucky because it popped up on eBay. I love the color!

5. Pencils says:

I have one in Tangerine, got it for my wedding ten years ago. I LOVE it. I don’t bake as much as I would like, as none of us *need* that much baked goods, but I do use it. I don’t use it whenever I bake, it’s easier to use my little hand mixer (also a Kitchenaid) that I’ve had a long time, but some recipes need the big mixer. I just made banana bread with the stand mixer. The recipe calls for mixing the eggs and sugar for ten minutes at medium to high speed, which gives a really airy batter. (You sift the dry ingredients together separately and then carefully fold it all together to keep from losing the air.) Everyone loves that bread.

6. Pencils says:

I got the ice cream maker years ago shortly after I got the mixer, and it was a disaster. So much easier to use a separate ice cream maker. I do kinda want to try the other attachments though! Also, I’m very jealous of your Beach blue Big Chill. I’ve wanted one for years.