O

One round-trip ticket in a time machine — Where would you go, back in time?

If I had just one round trip ticket to use in the way-back time machine, I think I’d go here. How about you? Where, when? Seriously. Or not.

Categoriespostwar culture
  1. hannah says:

Right there, with all three of you. I miss my house (now that I own one, and it’s a 1961 ranch at that) when I’m at work all day. I’m 58, and just want to RETIRE already! And enjoy the fruit of my labors. 🙂

2. hannah says:

I’ve seen Talking Heads in concert, must’ve been the late 70s in Hollywood CA at the Greek Theater – whatever year Burning Down The House came out. What a FAB show that was. You had to dance your way through the crowd to get to the bathrooms. For any Byrne fans, you simply MUST get his solo work, Rei Momo – absolutely fantastic.

As to the topic, sheesh – so much to choose from. The 20s could have been a hoot with the flapper thing going onl. Great Gatsby and all that. But, I think my heart would want to visit the era of the mid 40s-early 60s. The clothes, the furnishings. Also, Hollywood, the Rat Pack era would be cool. 🙂

3. Selfishly, I would go back and see my Grandma and Grandpa on their farm in Indiana. We moved out to Cali when I was about 9 and I missed out on a lot of good times with them. I would go back for a summer when they were both feeling up to snuff.

4. Mike S says:

Oh, MUST the ticket be round trip? Couldn’t I just stay there? Oh, please!

But if I must return, I’d like to go to an early Beach Boys concert. Or maybe hear the first live performance of The Association’s Windy. Or maybe at Cape Canaveral for John Glenn’s launch for his trip around the earth.

Fact is, those days are just way cooler than today. I know there is a heaven, and wish so very much that we can live the life we want there. My house would be filled with Danish Modern stuff, and I’d have a stack of 33 1/3 albums that would never, ever scratch!

5. Laurie V says:

Sometime in the late 80s or early 90s I had a chance to buy a 1956 Dodge Custom Royal for $1000. One owner, great condition. It had push button transmission, and it was huge. The original book was with it, and one of the features you could get with the car was a record player (turntable) in the glove compartment. It was way cool, but I would have had to give up a 1969 Pontiac LeMans convertible to get it, and I just couldn’t do that.

6. Just another Pam says:

If we can do “do overs” I’d buy my grandmother’s cottage after she died instead of selling it to the neighbours as she wished, it wasn’t in the will. Yeah, I’m that kind of horrible person but I do so miss it and spending the summers at the shore. Besides, they tore it down…..sob….

7. BEPSF says:

This one is easy:
    I’d have my Valet pack the Louis Vuitton steamer trunks with my Tuxedos, and the Chauffeur would load them into my Model SJ Duesenberg, and we’d all motor to LeHavre the last week of May 1935 for the Maiden Voyage in a port-side DeLuxe suite aboard the S.S. Normandie to New York.