pretty blue wallsGolly, so many “epic” stories over the past few months (Kate and I are crankin’) that it seems like … we don’t just stop and look at one pretty room — one pretty paint color — anymore. Kind of, “stop and smell the roses.” Or: Stop and ogle the gorgeous Tiffany blue paint in Hillary’s living room. Hillary uploaded this photo in our recent festival of 176 reader fireplaces. She noted, cryptically, “Traditional FP in 1949 cottage – Hillary.” Oh Hillary, this room is so glowy! And see, everyone, how I always talk about the sun dappling through sheer curtains? Dappling! I am getting sheers for under my pinch pleats this year once and for all, that’s that. But Hill — may I call you Hill? — what is the paint brand and color — we must know. Yes, for now, I’m calling it Tiffany Blue — just like the Breakfast at Tiffany’s blue — what a wonderful mid century provenance that is.  And, umm, is that a real Saarinen womb chair? And is that your grandma’s sewing machine? Your two-tone color palette, rich noble woods, mix of modern and traditional — all laid on with a light touch… with restraint: Nicely done, grl. Now: What is the paint? xoxo

1. Lauren J says:

Great room. Let me know if and where anyone finds that paint color. I checked my local Home Depot and they did not. 🙁

2. Brian T says:

Hillary — I posted it yesterday on the Retro Renovation Facebook page. And I see that Kentucky is another point of overlap — I’m in Lexington.

3. Hillary says:

Wow, that is like looking into an alternate universe! I really love your cornices – now I’m tempted to make my husband build some! Your living room looks very serene and relaxing too. I think that’s just a great color. Thanks for sharing the pic!

4. Nancy Stevenson says:

Stunning! Just proves, less is more. I love the light, airiness, the classic styles, and the BEST color ever! (I also have it in my house) A truly lovely room, Hillary! I LOVE your furnishings, and the fireplace! (Some people just have good taste, and a good eye!) Thanks for sharing :o)

5. Carole says:

I was surprised to read that the paint was applied so long ago. I thought I was the only one who lives with the same color for years! lol

I tend to take forever to choose colors, but when I do, they’re mainstays. Not only do the colors remain in style (if you care about that sort of thing – which I don’t particularly), but they are colors I fall in love with and can’t imagine living without.

A sign that you’ve done a good job choosing to begin with I think. 🙂

It’s time to refresh the rooms in our home, and except for the living room which is going to change from blue to red, the rest of the rooms are going to repainted as close to the original color as possible.

I love the room. It’s so restful.

6. Mike S says:

As a HUGE fan of Danish Modern furnishings, how was it that fringe and skirting made its way onto chairs and couches? A definite regression, if you ask me. 1949? Are you KIDDING me? I’ll take the design sensibilities of those days over anything made today. One word: RIGHTEOUS!