U

Update: Where to find quilted fitted bedspreads — now in six retro colors

mid-century-styled-fitted-bedspreadProps to reader Natasha for alerting us that Touch of Class is once again offering quilted, fitted bedspreads made with a silky polyester fabric  — perfect to decorate a stylish mid-century bedroom. The bedspreads are part of the Color Classics® line exclusive to Touch of Class. The bedspreads are affordable and available in a range of sizes. Best of all these luxurious looking bedspreads are come in six great retro friendly colors — Aqua Mist, Blue Shadow, Dusty Mauve, Ember Glow, Golden Bronze and Wheat.

retrosilky-quilted-fitted-bedspreadPam first reported the availability of these upholstered mid century styled bedspreads back in 2010 — but as of April 2012 — Touch of Class had seemingly discontinued their antique satin fabric and were only selling fitted bedspreads in faux suede. Thankfully, A Touch of Class has once again given us the option to purchase silky, fitted bedspreads —  in happy vintage colors — no greige here. Prices range from $179-$139 depending on bed size and the company also offers a range of coordinating draperies, pillows, shams and valances for those who want to go the whole nine yards.

fitted-quilted-retro-beddingFrom the website’s product description:

Lustrous polyester fabric gives the quilted Color Classics® Fitted Bedspread its rich appeal. Bedspread has diamond loop quilting, gusseted corners, and generous length to cover pillows; reverse is white cotton/polyester. Classic sizes have a 21″ drop; Classic Twin Bedspread will fit a Twin XL bed. Choose Ember Glow, Golden Bronze, Aqua Mist, Blue Shadow, Dusty Mauve, or Wheat. Washable. Imported. Designed by Touch of Class®!

quilted-fitted-bedspreadsStyle-and-go Fitted Bedspread is easy to make. Bedspreads feature a diamond loop quilting pattern, gusseted corners, and length to cover pillows. Classic sizes have a 21″ drop; Classic Twin size will fit an extra long twin bed.

mid-century-retro-fitted-bedspread

• Specify Twin, Full, Queen, King, or Cal King
  • Fitted, quilted bedspread
  • Mix and match colors!
  • Search I020-002 for the Color Classics Grande Bedspread
  • FREE Swatch available — Order a FREE fabric swatch. Fabric swatches allow you to see actual colors and textures before you place an order. You may request swatches for up to 3 items. Please call Customer Service at 800-457-7456 or email your request to swatches@touchofclass.com. Include your name, mailing address, item name, item number, and swatch color(s).
quilted-fitted-bedspreadMega thanks again to reader Natasha for sending us this tip!

Categoriesbedroom
  1. pam kueber says:

I wonder if putting a very simple bedskirt — no frills, super boxy — underneath would solve for the drop problem?

2. Jeanne says:

I’ve been eye-balling these fitted bedspreads for several years now. I love them! Hoping to get one some day soon. I’m glad someone is still making them.

3. chutti says:

These are pretty. And not cheap.
    For those looking for inexpensive retro style bedding, you may be pleasantly surprised at Brylane Home.

Here’s a link to their bedding:

A few semi fitted, some chenille. Some tailored bed skirt options.
    For those of us who like kitsch, some truly wild frilly satin stuff…with matching priscillas. Could actually be really retro.

Also-I have some LOVELY pastel 40’s/50’s towels with my auntie’s hand crocheted trim that I like to display in my vintage bath. But they are teensy by today’s standards. I found matching solid color bath sheets by Brylane Home Collection to coordinate. That way I can see and wipe my handsies on the pretty old ones, and have something more realistic for the rest of me.
    The quality of these is surprisingly good for the price, and they do matchy rug sets…

Mine have gotten daily use for 3 years and still feel/look fine.

4. Jackie says:

The next retro challenge: finding those plain corded cotton bedspreads.

Does anyone else remember these? They were a plain, matte cotton with a regular “stripe” pattern of larger, raised threads. Not mattelasse, plisse or seersucker. The sort of thing Wally and the Beaver would have–very plain and simple, in solid “manly” colors.

5. This is my dream bead spread. I have always wanted one. I made one for myself once, then I got a puppy,,,, he ate it. and I could never find that shiney quilted fabric again.

6. Maggie says:

I know just the kind you mean, and I love them. Simple, corded, often with a thin plaid-ish stripe pattern. They can be repurposed into great bedroom drapes, too. My mom always had them, bought at Sears, I think.

I found the one I have now at an eBay seller who deals in vintage linens. Her stuff isn’t real cheap, but there are bargains to be had. Her store name on eBay is Judy Chenille’s Vintage Linens. Try searching on that name. She always had hundreds of items available.

7. Lindel Salow says:

Awesome, thanks Pam for sharing this. I was just talking to my spouse and saying our vintage quilted bedspread (Harvest Orange) is looking very sad and needs to go away…but we haven’t done anything yet as we weren’t sure what to put in it’s place…Voila! Now here’s exactly what we are looking for….the only decision to make is color. Let’s see…orange bedroom, with blonde furniture and World’s Fair posters (64-65 NYWF of course!)…could do nearly any of the colors except the pink. Decisions, decisions.

8. Chicago Char says:

I had a pillowtop (both sides) mattress and boxspring made for my antique bed by Verlo which is considered a double, less than a queen but more than a double. When it arrived I felt like it was too high for someone of my height and Verlo suggested the half size height boxspring. (Both are made to order but arrived quickly.) Over the years, I have used shorter bedspreads as coverlets because of the frame’s footboard and added a dropskirt like Pam suggested.

9. Chicago Char says:

I meant to write less than a queen but more than a full. The double pillowtop works well with deep pocket fitted sheets.

10. Margie C. says:

While looking through my most recent VCS catalog, I thought that someone needs to buy a mid-century house and clear it out, then outfit it in nothing but items bought from VCS. Bedspreads, Big Ben clocks, percolators, checkered oilcloth tablecloths, cabinets full of vintage candies, cassette tape recorders, Princess phones, etc. Have a family move in (a la the “1900 House”) and see how it is to live with all those products. The show would be called “This Old Vermont Country Store House.”