the-owl-andy-harmonOh my word. This makes me so happy just to live in this world.

andy-harman-the-owl

It’s “The Owl” by artist Andy Harman.

I first saw one of these majestic macrame owls in this Architectural Digest slide show about Jonathan Adler’s groovalicious Shelter Island pad.

macrame-owlsI love Andy Harman’s owls. Their zygotes are easier to come by, though. Remember Troy’s collection? I have some now, too — three coordinating macrame owls, with their original Raymor tags. You know I gotta do it: What a hoot!

Categoriesaccessories
  1. pam kueber says:

ok so my favorite (not) recollection in this vein: Those darned Dr. Scholls sandals — they had such sharp edges, they hurt!

2. Mary Elizabeth says:

I made a couple of plant hangers, but that’s it. I loved looking at the real artists’ macrame hangings, though.

3. Karin says:

Fantastic! The scale and execution takes it to another level. This looks a lot like an Ookpik. They were creepy/cute little fuzzy snowy owl souvenirs made by Inuit craftspeople in northern Canada. They became a national craze in Canada, and were used at Canadian expositions as a symbol of Canada.

4. Susie Q. says:

The owl looks incredible in Jonathan Adler’s pad. I bet cats would have a heyday with that thing–scratching it, climbing on it, LOL.

5. Grama Robin says:

My mom had a craft shop in the 1970s, when she was in her early 60s. Geez, that’s how old I am now. Anyway, it was called The Macramé Lady, because that’s what people called her, and she made many an owl, belt, purse, plant hanging, and even some Santas (still have one). I also have the large freeform macramé piece she did and won 1st place for at the local fair. It’s rolled up in a closet waiting for one of the kids (or grandkids) to go all 70s retro and want it. My dad used to say she could take thin air and tie knots around it to make art!

6. Joe Felice says:

I remember when jute macrame was all the rage in the ’70s. Every house had at-least-one macrame owl (and probably a matching plant hanger). My mom even got into it, and she was pretty-darned good, too. I think the owl macrame was the ’70s iconic version of the crouching panther of the ’50s. When you see something like this, it just immediately takes your mind back.

7. Karen Collins says:

That owl is awesome! And as always, Pam, your comments make me smile 🙂
    My mom used to make macrame hanging plant holders. I remember for the tassel, we would wrap the yarn ’round and ’round an album cover and then she would cut it. Also, my sister and I would stand at the end of the hallway holding the yarn while she twisted it and did her thing! …loved being a kid in the 70’s!!

8. Stogie7 says:

My parents had the loden green macrame owl I made for them in the 79s hanging in their bathroom for decades. I took it down in 2011 when we sold their house! I still have my macrame witch for Halloween, Santa (long with pockets for cards and black boot feet), plus the “heads” – leprechaun, Pilgrim, Christmas elf, and Easter bunny. The bunny had big pink bead eyes that still freaks my daughter out. I made a second one for my mother, which I now have, so I always threaten to donate one to her!