A

Alesha restores the original 1961 exterior paint colors on her midcentury modern ranch house

Let’s hear it again for
Sherwin-Williams Holiday Turquoise!

midcentury paint jobThe #1 tool in any homeowner’s arsenal for adding curb appeal to the front of our homes: Paint. In this super happy transformation, Alesha shows what a dramatic change some Sherwin-Williams Holiday Turquoise paint made to the appearance of 1961 midcentury modern ranch house. Oh — and in her research phase, she learned that aqua was the original color of those yummy decorative concrete blocks, which enclose her front patio with (envy rages!) courtyard pool!

1961 electric house
Alesha’s home before.

Alesha writes:

I’ve attached a picture of our newly painted exterior. It was a drab tan and white before — and is now back to pretty much the original color of aqua and white.

1961 electric house

We used Sherwin-Williams Suburban Modern color Holiday Turquoise. We hired a contractor for this project because we had a lot of rotten wood in the soffit and fascia that needed to be replaced in kind and some wood repair around windows.

[Love the decorative concrete blocks? See our story on more than a dozen companies that still make and sell them.]

1961 electric house

I attached a couple interior shots and one of our Gold Medallion Home plaque. It’s great fun working on this place and bringing it back to life! Now to get the courtyard pool operable… maybe next year!

1961 electric house

Alesha is working hard on getting the inside of her new home, but she did send us a few photos of the built-in charcoal grill in her family room to tempt our curiosity.

1961 electric houseOh, what fun these original innovative home features are to see still intact!

Thanks so much for sharing your before and after photos, Alesha, and keep us posted on your progress — we’d love to see more results of your TLC as work continues.

love the house youre in

1. Salt Young says:

Wow! Just when it couldn’t get any better, decorative block, courtyard with a pool and now turquoise. Love what you’ve done it’s a great home.

2. Jan says:

I love the decorative block. And that makes ME want to cry! The old married dorms at the university where I graduated and now work (and where I lived in the married dorms when my first child was born) are fairly non-descript mid-century brick 2-story buildings, but surrounding the stairwells at each end of each building are ground-to-roof walls of decorative block. About 8 years ago, they tore down the first 2 buildings. I tried in vain to get some of the block. Three years ago, they tore down 4 more of the buildings (including the one that was my daughter’s first home). Again, I tried to get some of the block. I was ignored at every turn – probably thought I was nuts or something. Well, they are now doing asbestos abatement on the last 4 buildings in preparation for bringing them down. Do you think I can get anyone to get me some of the block?? So at some point, very, very soon, all of that lovely block will be in a landfill somewhere! All along, I’ve also tried to get them to at least contact the 3 local Habitat ReStores to see if they can use any of the materials. Alas…

3. David in Marietta says:

I have had luck talking to the demolition person. That would mean that you would have to watch when the trucks show up to demo the property. Many times the demo people do not care what you get. Other times they can be super cautious and not want you on the property. It is all by chance. I have had both. Talking to the one in charge of property development at the school might do too.

4. CJ Dunbar says:

For anyone that lives in Southern California, Orco Block (which has been featured on this site) is a great current resource for all sorts of block, including screen block and shadow block (one of my personal favorites). We’ve been to the showroom in Stanton (down the street from Knott’s), and you can look at a lot of the samples and different finishes. I feel pretty lucky that we have so many companies out this way that still manufacture these fantastic designs. Of course, there are some screen blocks around town from back in the day that are just really distinctive and special and nowhere to be found in modern production.

5. DIY April says:

Love… LOVE the color! I’m struggling with the color for my 1950s home. The brick is pink. Right now the rest is white.

6. oceana says:

That’s cool! My grandmother’s home has always had one of those medallions near the doorbell. I have never seen another and never knew what the deal was with it!

7. Amy Hiles-Maynard says:

Hello Alysia — I know you posted awhile back about your courtyard pool and I wonder if you have any pix to share? I am considering buying a house that is VERY similar to your on the front, including the decorative block, and I’m wondering how you treated the pool and entry. Many thanks in advance. Amy