M

My Medallion Home Live Better Electrically doorbell — oh happy day (and night)

Lookie what just came up for sale on ebay: >> New Old Stock Electric Living Doorbell for sale on Ebay <<(affiliate link)

Medallioan-Home-Living-Better-Electrically-1Lookie what’s new at my house: A “Medallion Home – Live Better Electrically” doorbell! The bell even stays lighted! Dear Husband LOVES it!

After 65 years, the plastic push-button on our original doorbell kinda caved in and disintegrated. When DH went to look at the issue, I remembered I had bought this NOS doorbell a whiiiiiiile ago. I kernoodled a bit re: where had I stashed it. And in about three tries, I found it. It hooked right up to the existing doorbell wires, easy peasy.

Seriously. My husband LOVES it.

He gazes lovingly every time we drive up to the house in the dark.

He wanted to make sure I. Did. Not. Throw. Out. The. Box.

As if.

Medallioan-Home-Living-Better-Electrically-2The Medallion Home Live Better Electrically campaign was A Thing, back in the day. But I am so busy working on my speech for Las Vegas that I have not a minute to go find links that explain it. Can you help, dear readers? If you find any good stories, can you post the links in a comment?

Medallioan-Home-Living-Better-Electrically-3Anyone else have memorabilia of this campaign? Or — something original on your house from it?

Ding dong!

1. Sara says:

I bet you anything we either had one of these on the house I lived in when I was little, or else my grandparents had one. It looks so incredibly familiar to me! Kind of like when you smell something and it reminds you of your childhood…I look at this and I remember being about 6 years old. Very cool. I am a bit jealous!

2. Grama Robin says:

When I was in elementary school in the 1950s the local Edison Co would have classes (for girls only, of course) to teach us how to cook on electric ranges. It was part of the all-electric house movement. They had a whole set of kitchens set up like a home ec room. We loved it because we always made sweets and we got to eat what we cooked. But now I swear by my vintage GAS O’Keefe & Merritt. I guess the electric stove cooking classes didn’t stick. . . .

3. Joe Felice says:

Now, I’m convinced you did this only to make me feel bad. Our 1964 all-brink rancher in Aurora CO was a GE Gold Medallion Home, and what a home it was/is. Next to the front door was a plaque similar to the one on the doorbell pictured, only larger. I took that off, but thought I “saved” it somewhere. Of course, it was never found, and I am just sick over it. The all-electric features were great until the Arab oil embargo of the late ’70s, when the cost of electricity skyrocketed due to demand. (In Colorado, there was a moratorium on gas taps.) Seemingly over-night, it became prohibitively expensive to heat the place, but it did have the advantage of having each room controlled by indidual thermostats, even the bathrooms! So, we ended up closing off some rooms and turning off the registers. also, they were noisy. They popped when expanding or contracting. We got used to that.

4. MissTrixi says:

Our New-To-Us house (built in ’58/’59) is a Medallion home. We bought it from the estate of the original owner who was also the widow of the builder (who also built many of the homes in the area). She kept every brochure for every electronic device in the house. The basement also has heated floors. Sadly, the medallion itself was taken or fell off years ago. We just have the house numbers with the Full Housepower lettering 🙂

1. Kate says:

We have a “Full Housepower” address tile holder, is that what you have MissTrixi? It is a metal frame that holds the old ceramic tile house number tiles and then there’s a small overhang with lights in it and underneath the overhang it says “Full Housepower” on a decal. Ironically, ours has not worked since we moved in.

1. robert says:

That is what I’m guessing she’s talking about. I have one on my house too. Mine recently stopped working. I’m going to rewire it soon.

1. cornelia says:

How is the number sign wired, I have the same but cant get my lights to work? Have new bulbs and the door bell works

5. Eric Schmitt says:

As a promotion home builders were encouraged to include electrically powered appliances and systems in homes and were awarded Bronze, Silver and Gold level depending on how complete the electrification was. Electricity was on its way to being so cheap, it would not even be metered at the home, just a flat access fee and use all you want!

1. pam kueber says:

It’s funny you should bring up metering. When we moved into our 1951 house, we upgraded our electric panel. The technician showed us where we could tap directly into the grid, still, without ever having to pay anything! We didn’t, of course, but it was sort of *amusing* to know we could have!

2. Bob Connor says:

Perhaps your area was near where a nuclear power plant would be located. Back in 1954, the head of the Atomic Energy Commission made the remark that with nuclear power in the future, electricity would be “too cheap to meter”. What he actually meant is that people might pay a flat rate, but some reporter took that to mean that electric power would be free. Now people who are anti nuclear use that remark against the industry, because power from nuclear sources is actually more expensive, so much so that some NPPs have shut down for being uneconomical. I remember my folks bought an “All Gas House of Savings”, but it did not have a medallion. I wonder if a medallion for that was ever made?

6. Adrian Stroud says:

My parents custom built a house in Raleigh, NC in 1961. It was a “gold medallion” house. I remember the plaque on the house. The walls had radiant electric heating Everything in the house was electric. They built it for $13k. It just sold recently for about $500k.

1. ineffablespace says:

Yes, that would be like paying $103,000 today, so the house appreciated quite a bit more than inflation

7. Tara says:

Our house doesn’t have the medallion on the doorbell, but it is cemented into the concrete on our front porch! It’s been worn down from wear, and the previous homeowner painted over it, but you can still make out most of it.
    I’d actually spent the last several years wondering what it was, because the words are no longer legible. My husband and I had just assumed it was some sort of union stamp, but this is much cooler!

Comments are closed.