A

A granite countertop tried to kill me — my Saturday trip to the ReStore

I went to the ReStore Habitat for Humanity on Saturday to poke around and just get out of the house. A highlight (lowlight?): Looking at a stack of granite countertops that were on the floor tilted against some cabinets, I reached to move two of the pieces in the front to look behind them — and both big pieces crashed down on my toes. Irony: A granite countertop tried to kill me!

Fortunately, I pulled my foot back pretty fast so only a few outside toes — on my left foot — got smushed. Nothing’s broken, just very black and blue. I’m kind of a klutzy these days.

Photo dump, pretty much in order of my trip through the ReStore:

Above: Clay pipes, $5 each. Use these for plants!

House numbers.

A nice gray sink.

Lots of chrome bathrooms accessories.

Look everywhere: See that scalloped mirror?

Nice porcelain ceramic bathroom accessories. I almost bought these to sell online. But I put them back. I have no time or inclination to sell things online, who am I kidding?

Big ole three-section mirror in a wood frame.

Lots of twin- and full-sized beds. One day, “when I have nothing else to do”, I want to make a garden bench out of one of these.

Double robe hooks — these were nice. I also had these in hand to flip online. But I took them back; see above.

My favorite aisle: The hardward aisle!

Hammered copper hardware.

The stove.

Pretty dials.

Lovely bedroom furniture.

Sexy late 60s or 70s dining room set.

Me love black lacquer.

A mid mod piece!

Old Lane cedar chest with labels still on it — BUT, I told the ReStore staff that these had been recalled and are, I think, illegal to sell — children can get locked inside and suffocate!

IMPORTANT: See/CLICK >> this story for the news release about the recall of Lane and Virginia Maid chests — in this news release, the company and CPSC provide instructions what to do immediately and how to get new replacement latches for free.  The ReStore team looked it up while I was there and said, “You’re right,” and pulled this chest from the floor.

UPDATE: A number of readers are leaving comments on how to handle this issue; I am not approving the comments because when it comes to SAFETY issues, I want readers to consult with properly licensed professionals how to handle. In this case: Read the original CPSC news release HERE for instructions what to do immediately and how to contact the company to get new replacement latches for free.

This style — Casbah — is very mainstream-popular today.

A big ole dresser. It weighed a gazillion pounds. I think it’s cool.

Okay, again not midcentury, but very pretty.

I like looking at the woodpile, too. I could make something cool with these maple posts, for sure!

Five cents each for the switchplate covers.

Oooooh, very nice: All-steel Handyman Miter Box and look at that wonderful orange paint!

What did I buy: Some swag lamp chain, $3… three New Old Stock electric plug switchplate covers, on special sale for five cents each!…  $5 for dollhouse picket fences, stairways and bric brac…  some glider thingies, $1, to go on the bottom of barstool legs… and some picture hanging hardware and L brackets @ $1.  I love the ReStore!

Categoriesaccessories
  1. toni says:

That big ‘ol dresser would have come home with me! And then I would have figured out where to put it.

2. Diane says:

OMG, me, too! I would get so mad when other kids messed up the dance, or didn’t execute the moves properly! 🙂

3. Dale says:

Ceramic and chrome bath fixtures????? I would have gone crazy in that store!!! My closest ReStore is 32 miles away and doesn’t really carry vintage. Yours is great!! Thanks for sharing.

Hope your toes are feeling better soon.

4. linoleummy says:

The local ReStore here is fairly new and you helped them get off the ground by making me aware that there was such a thing. A lot of the hoard I inherited was donated to them. Recently they moved to where I can stop in all the time. Unfortunately they seldom have any really great stuff . Even worse, the city tore down a couple blocks worth of mid-century houses to widen an intersection and apparently none of it went to the ReStore.

5. Evan says:

BTW, I meant to add that I saw a 4′ x 10′ piece of light pink with gold speckles Formica for sale on my local Craigslist for anyone looking. It would be long gone if I could use it. I think they’re asking about $100 for it. Corvallis/Albany CL.

6. Susan Halla says:

I have that exact same Handyman miter box from my grandfather! It comes with a specific saw that you can lock into place.

I’ve since replaced it with a big ‘ol electric compound sliding miter saw, but I still have my Handyman because of it’s heritage.

And the comment about, “…when I have nothing else to do,” made me laugh because I, too, have many of those projects. Ugh!

7. Cindy says:

Had to laugh as I was so excited to read your latest post that I found when I went to check my email to avoid doing my own taxes!

8. kristin says:

The big ole dresser that weighs a ton? That’s mahogany. Should’ve brought it home (are you kicking yourself?) I’m sure it’s gone now, if you go back to look.

PS I love ReStore.

9. leslie l says:

The restore by me apparently only gets the stuff LEFT by the garbage collectors.
    In 6 years, I’ve never once seen anything I would have taken even if they were GIVING it away. 🙁
    I stopped going there about a year ago because I was concerned about getting BEDBUGS from the upholstered furniture which looked like it was given to the restore FROM the homeless shelter here. I was afraid to get any closer than 2 aisles away; this stuff made my skin crawl. YIKES!
    I wish we had some good used or thrift stores for furniture & misc. items like yours. All we have are upscale, antique ‘shoppes’ that carry overpriced crap. The Midwest cities are slim pickins these days. I’m truly jealous of your fantastic weekly finds, but I do love reading about them. 🙂

10. Lynn says:

Wow! Your ReStore is fantastic! I have to go to multiple ReStores multiple times to see this much great vintage stuff. Of course we have to stop at ReStores everywhere we go, and I have never seen one this great! I need to come to MA!

11. Dan Langdon says:

No one loves a vintage stove more than I do, but those burner knobs are very oddly placed. Not only would they be awkward to deal with, I’d be afraid of water getting into their controls.

On the other hand, the clock and that backsplash light on that stove would make any potential for injury all worthwhile 😉