Denise is back this week, and finishing all the faux bois painting of the woodwork in my living room / dining room, which is being transformed into my Mahalo Lounge, is nearly complete. Yesterday, Denise reassembled the doors onto the cabinetry that separate the dining room from the living room. Tip: Make sure to number the doors, and as you are repainting inside and out don’t paint over the numbers.

The Early American hinges and pulls are all original to the cabinets. The black hardware on the faux mahogany looks great!

More fun: This is the book that I am using to make all my cocktails — the drinks all have stories — they’re historic!

Categoriespaint
  1. Denise says:

Also, set aside more time than you think you’ll need. It always takes longer than anticipated even when well organized.

If you have inset panels, that already have layers of paint on them, make sure to strip or sand the paint from the outside edges before re-painting. Those micro thin layers of paint add up when putting more layers on. The edges could end up rubbing, and remove some of your new paint job.

2. Jay says:

It’s beautiful! You have something spectacular to show for all your hard work. I see a bit of the leopard print wall covering and of course the new drapes. I am equally fond of Colonial Revival (and the original) as I am of Mid-Century. In your spare time (yeah right) look up R. Brognard Okie.

3. Kelly Wittenauer says:

Looking good – can’t wait for the final reveal ! Maybe number on the bottom edge of the doors, where a small unpainted spot wouldn’t be noticed?

4. Karin says:

The faux bois looks beautiful and it really makes the hinges stand out. Congratulations, looks amazing!

5. Christopher Mora says:

Or on a piece of masking tape that can be moved to a dry spot (and then the old spot painted). A little extra work but no one said renovations were easy! Cheers! Looks great!

6. Christine says:

Wow – you and Denise did a fabulous job. It looks amazing…it looks real! What a lot of work – but it is worth it for the end result you’ve achieved. Time for a drink?

7. Mary Elizabeth says:

Looks very good! I love the hardware.

What I do when I have to mark something I am painting on all sides is to put a bit of masking tape with the appropriate number or other marking (up, down, etc.) on the back side. After I am done painting the front and it is thoroughly dry, I switch the masking tape to the finished side so I can paint the back.

8. te says:

It does look great. I, unfortunately, don’t think those hinges belong in a tiki lounge setting with those cabinets. I hate to burst the progress bubble. I can’t even offer other suggestions other than that was my first and current impression of looking at the photos and maybe the hinges need to be hidden or bigger? Like I said, it does look nice but very colonial yet not tiki.

9. te says:

P. S. I am going to receive hate on this one but I really want your Mahalo lounge to be purrfect. Mahalo to you.

10. Pam Kueber says:

My lounge has elements of the Molokai Bar at the Mai Kai. So iron strap hinges — are fine!

11. linoleummy says:

What a milestone! It’s gotta feel great to have that done. It really looks sharp. The iron straps are like pirate’s chest hardware.

12. Steve H says:

The hinges are fine. Fancy brass Chippendale-y hinges would definitely be out of place. These have a rustic forged iron look. Makes me think Spanish Galleon visiting South Seas island – if that makes any sense al all!

13. Carolyn says:

I’d never heard of tiki before a few years ago on this blog. I’d seen tiki gods on tv/movies but didn’t know it was a “thing”. In the last week I’ve read about a half dozen cooking/lifestyle magazines with references to tiki food and drinks.
    I guess we just have to please be patient while the rest of the world catches up to us trendsetters, huh?