Lane Perception is a lovely suite of midcentury furniture design attributed to Warren Church, Lane’s lead designer during the midcentury era. I spotted ads for Lane Perception as early as 1959, but I am not sure if the entire line was available then or whether it grew over time. This is actually story #5 about weebit’s apartment. She spotted these gorgeous Lane Perception side tables at the ReStore, and came to run and find me. We snapped them right up for her planned living room. But then, they didn’t end up fitting the final room plan, so this weekend I put them on craigslist.

These are long, low, leggy beauties.

Notice the “Wovenwood” panel on the drawer …

…the brass (?) balls on the curvalicious legs that give the tabletop a “floating” look …

… and even the attention to detail in the design of the back. These Lane Perception side table look great from every direction.

The set we found was in overall great condition, with some exceptions. See the top of the table, left, above? There is irregular oxidation/darkening of what surely was the original finish where — what? — someone left a tray or something. I priced them accordingly, given the condition issue, and to move for local pickup only. As usual, it’s fall, and I am recommitting to cleaning out the house. Wish me luck with that. Note: Ack, I would never refinish them, even with the irregular fading — the finish is to tough and shiny and beautiful. Decorate around the fading… As you can see, these side tables are a whopping 30″ deep — that’s a lot of room for side table stuff!

Googling around, I see there were many pieces in the Lane Perception line — living room, dining room, and bedroom furniture alike. I quite like them. The are an interesting combination of minimalist midcentury lines married with more decorative elements coming into play in the 1960s. The wovenwood detail in particular — nice! “My” set is the “Burnished Walnut.” I am not an expert on furniture construction, but golly, the things are sturdy.

American furniture makers — names like Lane, Drexel, Staney Furniture, American of Martisville, Baker / Milling Road — all made lovely, often transitional midcentury modern furniture. Prices were lower than big name midcentury makers, but golly, the quality seems awesome, to me at least.

Categoriesfurniture
  1. Tarquin says:

This is a super duper great find. Not only are they unique, but they are a PAIR. When shopping vintage, it’s hard to find things in pairs. So much gets separated over time.

2. Lynne says:

Bob and I each have one! Its funny tho, I just sent a pristine Heywood Wakefield knee hole desk and the matching dog bone chair to the Habitat for Humanity. I tried Craigslist, EBay, and a couple local -ish retro resale stores. No takers! I guess desks aren’t in much demand?

3. Cynthia says:

I have a stepped end table, a matching one to your, the long surfboard coffee table with the V legs and a beautiful high dresser in Perception. Originally bought them to clean up and resell but they never made it online! Lol
    You hit the nail on the head about the manufacturers back in the day….well made, reasonably priced and meant to last. I also have pieces of Tuxedo from Lane, along with some American of Martinsville. I ❤️ Walnut furniture!

4. Carolyn says:

Lynne, I wonder if they aren’t in demand since its successor, the built-in “home office” in the kitchen, is now being phased out. I don’t think houseplans even include an office or den. Everything’s done online and paperless, laptops are nearing dinosaur status with so much done with your fancy phone talking to your fridge and HVAC.
    Huh. During the Atomic Age we were so looking forward to having the Jetson’s lifestyle and conveniences but, to me, now it’s kinda creepy…how many steps between Alexa and Hal – yikes!

5. CarolK says:

Then maybe my husband and I are a couple of old dinosaurs. We both have laptops, but we also have smartphones and I’ve got an iPad. I’d HATE to do anything important on my iPhone. The keyboard is so freaking tiny and my fingers are not as nimble as they used to be although I’m not sure they were ever THAT nimble. One of my daughters and her husband each have a large Apple desktop at home and my daughter used to have a home office. Having a home office or office corner allows my daughter to do much of her real estate work without going in to the office. As far as Alexa is concerned, my husband is kinda creeped out by electronic voices and so he’s not interested in that technology. And I don’t want an oven that can turn itself on.

6. Pam Kueber says:

Yes, count me in: I work on my laptop. Greatly prefer a full keyboard. I also work on a standing computer — the laptop nests into a receiver, the computer monitor is ginormous, and I have an even larger more ergonomic keyboard. I use the iphone only to text, occasionally. Too many computers in my life! Don’t get me started on the TV remotes.

7. CarolK says:

I was thinking after I posted how many people on Property Brothers and Love It or List It want a home office in their new home that will be renovated (PB) or the reno of their existing home/new home (LIoLI).

8. Jay says:

I suspect there are a lot of us that are of the same age group with similar thoughts. For years I only had a lap top, 3 yrs. ago bought a tablet and this summer finally went to a smart phone. It’s great but don’t like the tiny keyboard, constantly mistyping or performing functions I had no intention of doing. Still like the large format keyboard and screen of the laptop. No Alexa for me!

9. Sara says:

Ahh! I wish I lived closer to you! I have a gorgeous Perception buffet. One of my favorite pieces. I also have the coolest Acclaim “boomerang” hinged coffee table. These end tables would look *AMAZING* in my living room. Serious swooning going on here. Actually I think I might cry.

10. Sandra says:

I think the dark patch could have been caused by a tray or cloth shading the surface from the sun. I’ve seen that before, where a leaf is darker than the table-top because it was kept in a closet. Sunlight lightens the finish. There might be a way to lighten the patch, but I don’t know what it is besides time in the sun.

11. Tracy says:

My mom recently passed and she was still in possession of the Perception credenza, chest of drawers, mirrors and bed. I nearly gave them away! Something told me to Google the set. I’m
    about to clean it and sell. It’s not my style, and no great sentimental value. Looking back I recall that we had the surfboard table in our home. When I think about all of the classic pieces she tossed when selling her home. Sheesh!