Lane Perception is a lovely suite of midcentury furniture design attributed to Warren Church, Lane’s lead designer during the midcentury era. I spotted ads for Lane Perception as early as 1959, but I am not sure if the entire line was available then or whether it grew over time. This is actually story #5 about weebit’s apartment. She spotted these gorgeous Lane Perception side tables at the ReStore, and came to run and find me. We snapped them right up for her planned living room. But then, they didn’t end up fitting the final room plan, so this weekend I put them on craigslist.

These are long, low, leggy beauties.

Notice the “Wovenwood” panel on the drawer …

…the brass (?) balls on the curvalicious legs that give the tabletop a “floating” look …

… and even the attention to detail in the design of the back. These Lane Perception side table look great from every direction.

The set we found was in overall great condition, with some exceptions. See the top of the table, left, above? There is irregular oxidation/darkening of what surely was the original finish where — what? — someone left a tray or something. I priced them accordingly, given the condition issue, and to move for local pickup only. As usual, it’s fall, and I am recommitting to cleaning out the house. Wish me luck with that. Note: Ack, I would never refinish them, even with the irregular fading — the finish is to tough and shiny and beautiful. Decorate around the fading… As you can see, these side tables are a whopping 30″ deep — that’s a lot of room for side table stuff!

Googling around, I see there were many pieces in the Lane Perception line — living room, dining room, and bedroom furniture alike. I quite like them. The are an interesting combination of minimalist midcentury lines married with more decorative elements coming into play in the 1960s. The wovenwood detail in particular — nice! “My” set is the “Burnished Walnut.” I am not an expert on furniture construction, but golly, the things are sturdy.

American furniture makers — names like Lane, Drexel, Staney Furniture, American of Martisville, Baker / Milling Road — all made lovely, often transitional midcentury modern furniture. Prices were lower than big name midcentury makers, but golly, the quality seems awesome, to me at least.

Categoriesfurniture
  1. Melinda says:

Good for you for having the fortitude to get rid of them. If it were me, they’d live in my garage forever in hopes that some day, I’d find a place to fit them in.
    Hoping whoever scores them has never heard of chalk paint.

2. Pam Kueber says:

Yes, seems like Lane still exists — looks like they only make upholstered pieces now, sofas, sectionals, recliners….

3. Carol says:

I have these and the matching coffee table with the V shaped legs. That coffee table is LONG! They are very sturdy and sculptural. Beaver Cleaver was visiting a friend on the show and there was my set in the living room, all shiny and new, with all the appropriate MCM furnishings. It was just one quick scene in the coolonial house they were in. If only I had a snapshot of that room. Sigh……

4. Kathryn Asbahr says:

My mom only bought Lane furniture. The preferred the blond wood. Lane was so well made. My husband refinished a blond sewing cabinet made by Singer many, many years ago. My mom was a professional seamstress and tailor, so the cabinet had suffered through the years of all the sewing. There were so many layers of finish to achieve the blond finish that most of the damage was all in the finish. That cabinet is still going strong with all my sewing and quilt making.

5. Mary Anne S says:

Weebit has a good eye, those are beautiful tables and I love the drawer for stuff. Good for you for passing them on to [hopefully] someone else who will appreciate them.

6. Carolyn says:

Luckily for you you didn’t have a history with them. That’s when it’s tough. Way back when, Oprah had someone on who said that “…by holding on to something for which you no longer have a use, you are preventing someone else from using and enjoying it.” When we moved into a much smaller home, I was able to give away five decades (300 m/l) of Readers Digest Condensed Books (although I wish I’d been a little more tight-fisted with the 1950’s & ’60’s since I didn’t have as many). I was holding on to them because (1. instant la-di-dah library, (2. thought my grands would enjoy reading them (i’net & phones hadn’t yet turned into such a “thing”.) I’m realizing I’m the only one who inhales books & stories – pouty face.

7. Jay says:

What a shame you could not make use of them. They are lovely. The top may only be a veneer, not uncommon; so another reason to avoid refinishing because you have to exercise great care. Such attention to detail. One hallmark of quality drawer construction is in the dovetailing. I think replicating the furniture quality of the mid century today would entail prohibitive cost.

8. CarolK says:

When I was a high school senior (class of ’73), a local furniture store sent all the girls in my class a coupon for a free Lane mini cedar chest. It was to introduce us to the line of Lane hope chests. I still have my little cedar chest on my dressing table, but I just could not get into the whole “hope chest” thing. I thought then (and still do) it was ridiculous to suggest that we women should only aspire to get married. That’s what hope chests suggested to me.

I was watching an episode of Flea Market Flip yesterday where one of the teams repurposed an old cedar chest into a coffee table and didn’t actually ruin it.

9. Lynne says:

The desk I have in my little office was the same one Millie and Jerry Helper had on The Dick VanDyke show. In only one episode, you saw it only twice, but there it was!