F

From Hazel Dell Brown & Armstrong Cork Co. — 12 online catalogs from 1929-1951

hazel dell brown linoleum designs

Yesterday I published a history of Hazel Dell Brown, including why I believe she is the most influential interior decorator of the 20th Century. Today as follow-up, take a look for yourself at scores of her room designs, captured in catalogs from 1929-1951. Perhaps you will find some great ideas for your own home!

You can see a good selection of Mrs. Brown’s work in the vintage brochures archived in the Building Technology Heritage Library and my personal collection. I’ve done some work for you by organizing them in chronological order here:

Designers from the Mrs. Brown’s department continued making room designs like these into the 1950s and 1960s. They are captured in two books, which are huge favorites of mine:

1. Lori Tevis says:

Hey Pam, Thanks for giving us something FUN and so COLORFUL to look at. We all need something positive and interesting now for sure. Thanks again, you’re the best. Lori in N.C.

2. MaryAnne S says:

Pam,
    You have made me so happy with the links to these catalogs. I am rationing them so they will last longer. Love, love, love this stuff. Thank you so much!!!

3. Amber says:

I am going through these slowly and savoring them….imagining rooms to build around these lovely floors!

I wonder if someone wealthy wants to start a museum, with a collection of actual historic flooring pieces, laminate counter tops (or pieces thereof) wall paper and curtain fabric. I would love to visit such a place, see real pieces of these linoleum patterns that were large enough I could get a sense of the pattern. Same with wallpaper and curtain and maybe upholstery fabric….and while I’m dreaming there should obviously be a wing devoted to sinks, showers, toilets and tubs….and old tile.

Yup, back to dreaming!

4. K258 says:

Linoleum is alive and well. It’s my favorite resilient flooring. Colors and patterns are incredible. I don’t know why more people don’t use it. It requires no special maintenance. I had it installed in the kitchen of my previous house using a 3 color border design. I loved it.

5. Ranger Smith says:

I have a book titled Inspiring 1950’s Interiors by Armstrong Flooring, published in the ’90s. It mentions Hazel Dell Brown and is full of color pictures from the original Armstrong brochures. It has been a great resource for me.

6. Mary says:

When remodeling my previous home (built in 1947) I removed the carpet and found some of this vinyl. I loved it, but it was too worn to not recover with something else. Loved hearing about its origin. I feel a little part of history. Impressive woman!