Drexel Declaration

Drexel Declaration was designed by Stewart MacDougall and Kipp Stewart.

I was recently so fortunate to connect with Stewart MacDougall — principal designer of this furniture line. I need to do a complete write up — and what a great story. Mr. MacDougall told me that Kipp Stewart was generally responsible for designing the upholstery. Stewart MacDougall’s interest lay in the design of the furniture. MacDougall put incredible thought and craftsmanship into designing this line of furniture, and it really hit the mark in terms of its consumer appeal. Watch for an update soon!

Here is a short biography of Kipp Stewart (drats, link now gone). He is also a painter, and the Ventana Gallery in Big Sur, California (link also gone…) carries works like “Three Lemons” to the left. There also is a series of three, less expensive art prints available at various e-stores; find them easily via google. An article in the Sept. 200 issue of Interior Design said: “Inspired by furniture from early Greek to Art Nouveau, from 18th-century European to Art Deco, Stewart’s main aim is ‘to create forms that are not fashionable so much as timeless.'” My online research indicates that Stewart is still a very active designer today, working mostly on outdoor furniture for such companies as Summit Furniture.  Also see, for example, this outdoor bench from Smith & Hawken.  He is a founder of the Big Sur Land Trust, and with Jeff Norman, he is the author of Big Sur Observed.

He’s also an architect, here’s a house that he designed in 1984. Here’s another one, which was owned by Philip Johnson and David Whitney. Stewart also designed the Ventana Inn & Spa in Big Sur. His son Bradford Stewart is a renowned LA-area artist.

To view slide show, click on the first image, it will open larger on your screen, click anywhere on the photo to move forward, use the arrows on the left to move back; you may start or stop at any image.

1. Ski Sullivan says:

We are settling my mother’s estate in northern Ohio. She has an entire bedroom suite of these beautiful pieces. Are there collectors or markets for these pieces?

2. Amelia RossGilson says:

Hi There! I have searched the internet (in vain) for one missing Brass and Walnut drawer pull for the Drexel Declaration bedside table I just bought. Do you have any recommendations for where to find such parts online? Thanks for being a resource!

3. Ralph says:

Hi, I’m looking for retail cost on a Drexel dining room set back when it was purchased. I hear Drexels arent made like they used to be. Is that true?

TABLE – Dining Room Table Oval Says Francis Ca (Francesca) By Drexel No. 562-336-3 / 3- 736233684931972 64In X 44In X 29-1/4In High

BUFFET – 1/1 Hutch Says Francis Ca (Francesca By Drexel No. 562-134-6 63-1/2In X 19In Wide X 30-1/24In
    High

CHINA CLOSET – China Cabinet 2-Piece Set 3-Glass Doors On Top Half & 3 Cabinets On Bottom No. 562424-6 Says Francis Ca (Francesca)By Drexel

ARM CHAIRS – 2/2 Dining Room Chairs With Arms Upholstered Seat Wicker Back

CHAIRS – Dining Room Chairs Armless Upholstered Seat Wicker Back 21 1/2 X 17 1/2 X 40In. High

1. pam kueber says:

We do not do valuations here. And, I don’t know whether and if so how manufacturing has changed – you would need to ask the company about that.

4. Brandon says:

Hi, I am looking for any help, I just bought this coffee table, I think. It has 3 sliding covers to open to storage, and one open area that can be closed by sliding covers on the bottom it Says Drexler 514-4 declaration. I can not find any info just that it has the same style as this series. Any help given would be appreciated

5. Tami Gallegos says:

Hi, I’m looking for details on a desk I just bought at a yard sale. The markings are 09/01…980-101-2… Parallel… By: Drexel. I’m not sure how to read the date code on this piece of furniture to figure out a value. Any info would be appreciated!

6. Teri says:

I recently aquired what i think to be an out door furniture set. A couple of wood peices need replaced. Also im wondering how to figure out when it was made and how much to sell it for? It says kipp stewart design, summit furniture, carmel by the sea, indonesia? Do you have an email address for him?

7. Melissa Gheith says:

Any information provided will be greatly appreciated. I recently purchased a pair of nightstands that have Drexel stamped inside the drawers. On the back of the nightstands it says 801-612-2 Declaration by Drexel. I have found very limited information on these nightstands. Possibly, they are Kipp Stewart? Thanks in advance.

8. Bonnie says:

I have a ? I recently bought an adorable coffee/side table and there was a tag saying that the seller tho’t it might have been designed by Kipp Stewart. It’s a small square/round with the most wonderful set of legs, a shelf, and I’m thinking it’s walnut. The only mark I can find looks like a small red stamp, but I cannot make it out. Does anyone know anything at all about any markings on Kipp’s designs or whoever mfg’d it? Any ideas would be appreciated.

1. pam kueber says:

Hi Bonnie, hard to say. Be sure to type drexel declaration into our Search box and get to all the stories we’ve written

9. Dawn says:

Hi! Just wondering if you ever got around to that follow-up post about Stewart MacDougall? You alluded to a “great story” after speaking with him… Did I miss it??

1. Dawn says:

I am working on a project and would love to learn more… If you were amenable… my website has my contact info… I understand if not… Either way, great post!

1. pam kueber says:

Dawn, it was so long ago, I fear my memory is not good and my notes, ummm, golly where are they? I think that SMcD can be found on the internet — that’s how I found him!

1. Dawn says:

Will do; just think it’s interesting there is so little info about his partnership with Kip Stewart and wondered if you knew of any backstory as to why. Ah, well… search and research!

10. Sandra says:

Hi! I just purchased a 2000/2 “The Kent Group” by Drexel side table/nightstand. I believe it is Mohogony. Any information. You can give me would be lovely!

Thank You!