Bargello needlepoint pillows: Troy gets crafty

Troy picked up on my newfound love (obsession?) for bargello needlepoint pillows and is making some for his fabulous Eichler. He writes:

Hey Pam, a very timely bargello post – I’ve spent the last two weeks learning to stitch – perfect for those chilly evenings by the fire when thar ain’t nothin’ on TV. Next in line is a version of that great geometric at the end of your post. Later – Troy

We convo and he explains how he larned:

i picked up two used books on amazon.com, some needlepoint cloth, and some yarn and started stitching! it’s really not that hard, if you can count (over and over and over again). the big one is 20×20-inch square, took about two weeks. small one was started last friday.

I am very impressed indeed.

Comments

1. gavin hastings says

Go Troy!
    You personify “Life is short-get busy”

There is nothing as rewarding as living with items created by yourself.

2. Nina462 says

i’ve still got a book that I’m willing to send -step by step bargello, 1974, by geraldine cosentino-lots of nice patterns.
    Bargello is not my style, and I am going to sell this in my garage sale–but if someone wants it (free!!!), I’ll be glad to send to one of my retro pals–

• Wendy says

I would love to have your bargello book! I am doing crewel right now and would love to delve into some great retro bargello pillows! Reply and I will send you my address and pay for shipping.

Wendy

Honestly, I didn’t think my foray into the wonderful world of bargello would warrant a post of it’s own, but thanks, Pam! Happy to share. As a graphic designer – and now owner of a 1962 Eichler home – I’m growing increasingly fond of 60s and 70s op art, graphics, and the like. What I find really interesting about bargello is that it’s a wonderful example of a contemporary art movement (think Vasarely, M.C. Escher, Peter Max, and in some respects the posters of Leroy Neiman for the Montreal Olympics and David Klein for TWA) filtering down to the masses, so to speak, through the vernacular of popular craft. Also interesting to note that the origins of Bargello are 18th century Italian and Hungarian so it’s also a “something old is new again” story. And I also need some cool pillows for the new house.

4. Tara says

More bargello ideas and yummy colours can be seen at bargelloneedlepoint.com — The lady there, Althea, is doing a design a day. She is also using the book by Margaret Boyles.

5. Annie B. says

Troy! What fabulous work! I was not familiar with Bargello needlework until Pam’s enlightening posts on it; now, I’m definitely a fan. Love those designs you’re stitching!. Keep up the lovely work.

T-TJJ, the two books are “Bargello, An Exploration in Color” by Margaret Boyles (1974), and the Golden Hands Pattern Book “Bargello” (1972). Enjoy!

7. Jean Gough says

Has anyone ever done a bargello quilt? I like quilting, but not the traditional patterns, as they don’t fit in with the mid century vibe. My husband’s cousin just showed me bargello quilting samples. They are beautiful!!