Vintage Geneva kitchen cabinets spotted in a Target commercial

vintage geneva kitchen cabinets spotted in a target commercial

Another first for the blog and our Retro Renovation journey: Last night I spotted vintage Geneva steel kitchen cabinets in a Target commercial. Don’t they look fantastic! Continue on for the close-up and more play-by-play commentary —>

I think the countertop is some variety of solid surface material — a very sleek, modern look. And, I’m guessing that is an Elkay double drainboard steel sink, or perhaps there are other brands – Franke, or something specifically for commercial use — I say that because the bowls are huge.  Anyway, I am divining great meaning into this TV commercial: Vintage steel kitchen cabinets are heading into the main$tream of collectibility. Hope you got yours while they were still super duper cheap.

geneva metal kitchen cabinets in a target commercial

P.S. yes, we watch the Vampire Diaries in my house. It was late when I spotted these and grabbed this photo (and tortured my co-watchers with my screeching and reversing and pausing repeat four times to get to the correct frame, and then the running for the camera and the snap snap snapping.) Perhaps when I have more time, I will get a better photo dead on. haha get it? vampires? dead on?

Comments

1. Trouble says

Huh. Well I’ll be. That’s all it takes for these things to be seen and make everyone start going OMG I want those! Lol. That’s alright “I got mines”!

Is it bad that the first thing I noticed in that first picture is that you watch Vampire Diaries? Haha, I got so excited. My sister and I have a girls night every week, make dinner and watch VD. We also yell at the TV. Ha. Yay for another fan who isn’t 16. 🙂

3. pattyoscar says

I wonder if that is a Just sink made by Just Manufacturing. They also make those and I think the bowls are bigger than the Elkay. What does it take for some business out there somewhere to realize there is a demand for steel cabinets and start making them again. The only ones I know making them today is St. Charles and they are tooooooo expensive. Fillip Metal still makes some steel kitchen cabinets, but only in a few sizes, but reasonable prices.

I need to go look at Fillip Metal. I think there are also some companies making steel cabinets for commercial purposes. On my list!

• Carol Cameron says

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed, as I am new to the forum, but it appears that Fillip Metal Cabinet Co. was sold several years ago. Their website is still online but nothing’s been updated since 2008 and none of the links to contact them work. I was going to order their kitchen cabinets and get formica tops with the old-time wide metal edging, and add my own retro-style chrome pulls. 🙁

• pattyoscar says

I actually talked to them on the phone. This was more than a year ago, though. The gentleman I spoke with said they were still family owned. Then number i have is 800 535 0733. The email they gave me is fillipcmf@aol.com they said they sell directly to the consumer and no middle man. I would have ordered right then and there, but the opening on the sink base would not fit my new (old) sink and they dont make any other sizes.

4. Dana says

Memory is a strange thing. A year ago, I changed out the cabinet pulls on my white cabinets to ones similar to these. Afterwards, as I closed one of the doors, I had a memory of closing a metal cabinet door. It suddenly felt very familioar and right. I couldn’t remember a house with metal cabinets. I emailed my mom and she said we did have metal cabinets in the house we moved out of when I was two. 48 years ago. Early metal cabinet love is lasting love.

I noticed the cabinets right away, too. I have a customer I am working with that has Geneva cabinets in her kitchen but wants to remodel. She is trying to decide if to keep them or get something else. I have been encouraging her to keep them. I let her know about the Target ad. The bad news is that other people are going to know about them and want them – competition. The good news is that people who have them and don’t want them won’t put them in a dumpster. As I keep telling everyone in Minneapolis, Mid Century is very much alive. They don’t think it’s here yet. That’s ok. Gives me more opportunity to build my business in kitchen and bath design around mid century.

6. 52PostnBeam says

That’s pretty cool … and to elaborate on the joke, if he actually cooked those plastic handle inserts wouldn’t be so clean. I think the counter is polished Corian. I just bought an Elkay and they don’t have those horizontal ridges in the drainboards, but Ikea’s do.

I do just have to say … as someone who has worked in advertising for more than a decade, ads are aspirational – especially Target, this has always been their strategy. Maybe .025% of actual Target shoppers actually live / look or have a lifestyle like those depicted in the ads. I wouldn’t get excited or nervous about this making much of an impact on the steel cab market. Just because a classic car is used in a Coke commercial doesn’t make everyone want to run out and deal with the headache of finding and owning one.

• 52PostnBeam says

I got the Elkay S4819R, it’s 4 feet wide and a single basin, which leaves approx 26″ of stainless drainboard for a workspace. It just arrived last week and isn’t installed yet – but so far I love it! It seems very functional and a classic design. I was afraid the single basin would be too small, but it’s quite larger than I expected, and I also love the integrated backsplash (no caulk behind the faucet).

7. A.W.Richards says

That kitchen looked really good. You got the vintage cabinets with the modern countertops. Not to mention Huey Lewis playing at the end.

8. Amy Hill says

Oh yeah, this is great! Makes using what you have seem cool, which is the way it has always been. I hope it encourages more people to go find an old hosue & enjoy living in it. I don’t think I’ll ever want to live in a new house again. The floors wouldn’t creak!

9. Lori says

Speaking of t.v……Has anyone seen the master bathroom at Adam and Kristina’s house on the show Parenthood? It is to die for!!!!!