27 places to buy restored vintage stoves

vintage stoveStove: From Dream Stoves

I have been blogging about midcentury home design since 2006, but my very first piece of published writing about home design in 1995 — an article about vintage stoves for the now-defunct Ann Arbor News. Vintage stoves were first becoming popular around then. I have been a fan ever since and today, have a circa-1959 GE Pushbutton electric in my kitchen. When we did a story a while ago about where to get your vintage appliances fixed, a number of readers had suggestions and experiences to share about vintage stove restoration experts. Over on the Forum, Karl T. also suggested suppliers. I did some additional research and came up with an expanded list — the readers added more in their comments, below — and we now have 12 13 14 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 places to get your vintage stove restored… to buy a restored vintage stove… and to find parts and service for vintage stoves:

Note, before you buy, understand what you are paying for. Depending on condition, stoves may require *just* cleaning … an expert can tell you whether it needs new wiring, insulation, pilots, burners … and then, there are the so-called “remanufactured” stoves — in which the stove is completely disassembled, rechromed, re-porcelained, re-everythinged (pretty much), then put back together as “new”, for all intents and purposes.

Restored vintage stoves — West and Southwest

Restored vintage stoves — Midwest

Vintage stove restoration — Southeast

Vintage stove restoration — East Coast

Note: Thanks so many readers for the contributions to build this list — keep ’em coming. Also, thanks to Todd at chambers.net for a number of these leads. This seems to be the go-to place for Chambers’ info!

Please know: I do not have personal experience with these resources, so I am not endorsing them…. Please make sure that you do your own research to verify that you are working with safe, experienced, properly licensed professionals with a proven reputation. And, as Lara Jane commented in the original story:

To follow up on Pam’s post, I know a lot of people on other home improvement sites were scammed by a guy restoring vintage stoves (some they’d sent to him, some were advertised on his site). Be careful who you give your money to, and if possible, use a credit card with buyer protection!

Yes, as with any purchase of this magnitude — please do due diligence regarding the companies you are engaging with.

For Do It Yourselfers: Check out The Old Appliance Club. Please take care, though — consult with a professional about proper safety and environmental issues you need to know!

Other stories of interest:

Comments

1. suzanne says

For exquisitely restored antique and classic stoves D. Anderson 303 -779-0074. Dave has been in the business for over 40 years. His work is excellent!

2. Dwayne says

Tyson’s in OKC is great. They restore as they sell (you pick it out and they restore it as needed) even do layaway and give a 1 YEAR WARRANTY on vintage stoves. While there check out the historic OKC stock yards and eat at the Cattleman’s Restaurant (its about 100 years old).

Went to Tulsa Stove Hospital, it is 100 miles closer. They may be open, they may not. If they are open, they are marginally helpful and only wanted to discuss $3000 stoves, unrestored.

3. Paula says

Macy’s Appliance Repairs in Houston is an awesome vintage appliance repair / sales facility. They treat you right.
    Macy’s Classic Stove Works
    Address: 2706 Collingsworth St, Houston, TX 77026
    Phone:(713) 229-0250
    macysclassicstoveworks.net

4. Sue says

I have a 1958 Frigadaire 40″ double oven stove I would like to restore. The two left burners are not working and the oven elements need to be replaced. Is it worth fixing?

I restore antique refrigerators for less than the competition, I give you a high quality finish and a safe appliance. The reason I’m cheaper is because I am just starting out and I don’t have much overhead. Also I only restore what needs restoring keeping costs lower. If you want a museum piece you will pay 4 or 5k. I sell very nice pieces for 1 to 2k. Check out my facebook store for some examples.

6. Suzanne says

The best restorations ever come from David Anderson in Denver CO. He also has the largest inventory of antique and classic ranges and parts in the country. 303-779-0073.

7. Leah Whiteman says

We just bought an older house that has the original Coolerator Electric Range and Oven Circa 1955 possibly a little later. It works pretty well except for one of the burners, but it needs a little love. Does any one know of any repair or restoration in the Nashville, TN area? Thank you

8. Natalie says

I have a 1950s Okeefe and Merritt gas stove. It needs a tune up/maintenance check. I’m in Schertz Tx. Any referrals in San Antonio or Schertz?

• Teresa says

Hello Nancy, I am also looking for someone to maintenance my O’keefe & Merritt, I am in the Dallas area. Did you have any luck finding someone closer to home or are we stuck with shipping the stove for repair.

9. Paula says

In Houston, TX, we have an amazing resource since 1970 for restoration and purchase of restored stoves at Macy’s Appliance.
    Ken at Macy’s restored my Kenmore 1955 stove and it is amazing. He has a huge selection of stoves available for sale. There website does not get updated often, but they are very helpful on the phone.

Thanks for these articles. They are inspiring.

10. Ronda says

I have found the website http://www.repairclinic.com has helped me with a new temp switch for my GE range. Mine has the push buttons for heat ranges instead of knobs. One of the heat rang buttons quit so the 8″ burner would only get warm. They were very helpful and the part came quickly. I have ordered spare parts for my old girl while they are still available so we can have a long life together.

• Jane says

Ronda,
      That’s sounds like the stove I have found. I’m concerned about the electric bill and a vintage stove. Do they use more electricity?
      Thanks
      Jane

11. Jerry Cruitt says

I hope I can I list a store for sale here? Sonoma, a Great area in Northern CA wine country. Johnny’s Classic Ranges. Owner passed away. over 70 vintage stoves and tons of parts. Thank you

12. Kelly says

I need help for repairs in the Denver area for a Chambers stove. It is an original owned by a friend and in working order until about a week ago. Has a gas leak. Do you know of anyone in the Denver metro area?
    Thanks

Kelly, check the list in the story — that’s who we know. Also see our FAQ on Kitchen Appliances.

13. Brittany says

Hi there!
    I have a 1950s chambers stove in my basement in good condition that I am looking to sell. Do you know of any dealers or places I could sell it to in Ohio or surrounding areas? We want to remodel the basement and it needs to go. It still works, I fired it up a few weeks ago. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
    ~Brittany

14. Sharon Mares says

There is a place in Key Center Washington that restores wood cook stoves and will convert to gas or electric also. Can’t recall the name of the business but it is a very small town on the peninsula.

I recommend craigslist. So many of these deals are local, due to the weight of the item and because folks want to see it in person before they commit. In addition, folks that are really scanning nationwide use sites like SearchTempest to easily expand their geographic search territory on craigslist.

Good luck.