27 places to buy restored vintage stoves

vintage stoveStove: From Dream Stoves

I have been blogging about midcentury home design since 2006, but my very first piece of published writing about home design in 1995 — an article about vintage stoves for the now-defunct Ann Arbor News. Vintage stoves were first becoming popular around then. I have been a fan ever since and today, have a circa-1959 GE Pushbutton electric in my kitchen. When we did a story a while ago about where to get your vintage appliances fixed, a number of readers had suggestions and experiences to share about vintage stove restoration experts. Over on the Forum, Karl T. also suggested suppliers. I did some additional research and came up with an expanded list — and readers continue to more in their comments, below, be sure to read them — and we now have 12 13 14 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 places to get your vintage stove restored… to buy a restored vintage stove… and to find parts and service for vintage stoves:

Note, before you buy, understand what you are paying for. Depending on condition, stoves may require *just* cleaning … an expert can tell you whether it needs new wiring, insulation, pilots, burners … and then, there are the so-called “remanufactured” stoves — in which the stove is completely disassembled, rechromed, re-porcelained, re-everythinged (pretty much), then put back together as “new”, for all intents and purposes.

Restored vintage stoves — West and Southwest

Restored vintage stoves — Midwest

Vintage stove restoration — Southeast

Vintage stove restoration — East Coast

Note: Thanks so many readers for the contributions to build this list — keep ’em coming. Also, thanks to Todd at chambers.net for a number of these leads. This seems to be the go-to place for Chambers’ info!

Please know: I do not have personal experience with these resources, so I am not endorsing them…. Please make sure that you do your own research to verify that you are working with safe, experienced, properly licensed professionals with a proven reputation. And, as Lara Jane commented in the original story:

To follow up on Pam’s post, I know a lot of people on other home improvement sites were scammed by a guy restoring vintage stoves (some they’d sent to him, some were advertised on his site). Be careful who you give your money to, and if possible, use a credit card with buyer protection!

Yes, as with any purchase of this magnitude — please do due diligence regarding the companies you are engaging with.

For Do It Yourselfers: Check out The Old Appliance Club. Please take care, though — consult with a professional about proper safety and environmental issues you need to know!

Other stories of interest:

1. Ronda says

I have found the website http://www.repairclinic.com has helped me with a new temp switch for my GE range. Mine has the push buttons for heat ranges instead of knobs. One of the heat rang buttons quit so the 8″ burner would only get warm. They were very helpful and the part came quickly. I have ordered spare parts for my old girl while they are still available so we can have a long life together.

• Jane says

That’s sounds like the stove I have found. I’m concerned about the electric bill and a vintage stove. Do they use more electricity?

2. Jerry Cruitt says

I hope I can I list a store for sale here? Sonoma, a Great area in Northern CA wine country. Johnny’s Classic Ranges. Owner passed away. over 70 vintage stoves and tons of parts. Thank you

3. Kelly says

I need help for repairs in the Denver area for a Chambers stove. It is an original owned by a friend and in working order until about a week ago. Has a gas leak. Do you know of anyone in the Denver metro area?

Kelly, check the list in the story — that’s who we know. Also see our FAQ on Kitchen Appliances.

4. Brittany says

Hi there!
    I have a 1950s chambers stove in my basement in good condition that I am looking to sell. Do you know of any dealers or places I could sell it to in Ohio or surrounding areas? We want to remodel the basement and it needs to go. It still works, I fired it up a few weeks ago. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

5. Sharon Mares says

There is a place in Key Center Washington that restores wood cook stoves and will convert to gas or electric also. Can’t recall the name of the business but it is a very small town on the peninsula.

I recommend craigslist. So many of these deals are local, due to the weight of the item and because folks want to see it in person before they commit. In addition, folks that are really scanning nationwide use sites like SearchTempest to easily expand their geographic search territory on craigslist.

Good luck.

6. Michael says

Hi Folks

I have an old antique gas stove that I am try to determine the make and date of the stove.

The ID tags dose’nt shows who it was made by, but say: “something VAPOR Stove Co. “. And shows Michigan as the state of manufacturing.

I have pictures I can send if you give me your email address.

Thanks Michael

7. Marquitta says

I am near the st louis area and trying to sell a 1940 roper stove. Do u know where I could do that at by chance???