1957 Sputnik house — midcentury modern time capsule house in Houston’s Glenbrook neighborhood

midcentury modern house in houston the sputnik house in glenbrookOne guess why everyone calls this the ‘Sputnik House’. Yes, the original owner put that huge sputnik light in the entrance when the family moved in, in 1957, says real estate agent Robert Searcy. Robert has just listed this gorgeous mid century modern house in Houston’s Glenbrook neighborhood for sale. You may recall that Robert is the agent who sent us the photos of the Swankienda house. It’s right down the street from the Sputnik. Oh my, what a street! Thanks and link love to Robert Searcy and to TK Images for immediately supplying me with these photos to feature. We love our time capsule houses, yes we do. Although they make us all jealous because we do not all have rooflines that look like eagles ready to take flight, where we can hang fantastic sputnik lights.

Here is what the listing says about this 2,334 s.f. house, which has three bedrooms, two baths and is listed for $192,500:

The Sputnik house, one of the Glenbrook historic districts most iconic homes. A stellar restored mid-century mod on a premier block with many upgrades yet original character intact. Original vintage tile baths & swank light fixtures. Mod doorplates & original hardware professionally polished. Study ith wall of storage, front living + open den/dining area w/vaulted beamed ceiling, poured terrazzo & fireplace.

And, sit back, here is the photo tour:

And Robert sent me these from his cell phone:

The original owners had the groove thing going on, that’s for sure!

The original pink appliances were replaced but stored in the garage. If you want to have them repaired and reinstalled for a more vintage look, they can be conveyed with the property.

Gorgeous. Thank you again, Robert and TK Images, keep sending these my way, and we’ll show them to the appreciative mid mod world — including potential buyers, stat!

Repeating the link love:

Comments

1. Lee says

I went to an estate sale at this home a couple of years ago. The photos only give a hint of how fabulous this house really is. I purchased two pieces of multimedia art depicting peacocks in an abstract form. They hung at the end of the den near the built in china cabinet.I fell in love with this place the moment I walked in the door; if I didn’t already own a home I would be all over this one.

2. Christa says

*Drool* Can’t STAND it! It is Ah – MAAAY- ZING! But alas, I do not live in TX, and have no reason ( other than this FAB house) to move there. Ah well…perhaps in my next life :)

3. John says

Hi Pam, amazing house, I’d buy it in a second if I lived in Texas. Even the landscaping is gorgeous. What really blows me away though is the asking price of under $200,000.00. If this was in Northampton I’m sure it would go for over $300,000.00.

John

4. Sarah says

Houston is strange like that, it’s one of the biggest cities in America but the real estate is super cheap! I think it’s because it is so big, they built too many houses lol. Their market is just like my neck of the woods (Lake Charles, LA) houses go for well under $100 a square foot

5. Annie B. says

I want to weep. All that MCM grandeur for 192.5, and that’s the listing price. This house exhibits the essence of my favorite mid mod era: when we reached for the stars. Sputnik and starburst designs particularly tug at my heartstrings and fill me with sweet memories of those times.

6. Nate says

Glenbrook Valley is THE most beautiful neighborhood in Houston if you love MC. They even have an historic designation now. The homes there are all beautiful in their own right. BUT…personally, even though the price on this house is awesome and it could easily be called my dream home, I’ll stick with looking for something in Oak Forrest. Too much drama in Glenbrook Valley! http://www.houstonpress.com/2011-06-23/news/war-zoned/

• Sarah says

When I saw the house I thought, man it’s so cool but yuck I’d have to live in Houston. After reading that article and the comments! Boy was I right!

• Robert S says

Don’t believe everything you read. That article was heavily dramatized and represents very little reality.

7. Ana says

Love love love the house. I live in Austin and my tiny bungalow cost about as much as that huge, beautiful house in Houston. If I were looking to move to Houston, I’d buy that place in a second … and invite everyone here for a tour. :)

• ErinInOhio says

Ha! Every single time Pam posts a “time capsule” for sale, I send my DH an email with the link and write, “We’re moving to _____.”

• Just another Pam says

Me too Desirae,

Take down the fan, move in, never read the paper or internet again….perfect.