Rare poppy red stove and refrigerator — original colors from Frigidaire circa 1975

An original condition poppy red stove and refrigerator spotted roaming the wild! Along with avocado green, harvest gold and coppertone brown, poppy red was a color promoted for kitchen appliances in the 1970s. Poppy did not take off, so it’s rare to see these red appliances still around. Thanks to reader Trish who over on our Facebook page tipped us off to this terrific vintage stove and refrigerator in this rare and luminous color. [Update: Listing gone. Looks like these found a buyer!]I reached out to the seller, who gave me permission to feature these photos for our ever and ever archive. They are for sale in Des Moines, for just $350. And I bet if you ask real nice, the seller will even throw in that macrame owl, what a hoot ;)

red vintage stove poppy stovevintage red stovered refrigerator original poppy color frigidairevintage red refrigeratorHere is what the seller’s listing says:

-Mid 70’s Frigidaire Custom Deluxe Poppy Red Refrigerator and Stove for sale
-Both work, I just upgraded mine so these need a good home.
-Hard-to find poppy red, classic kitch/retro
-Super clean, like New
-Electric Stove and fridge with freezer produced between 1975-1977
-Selling them as a set, may consider an offer on the stove by itself but not the fridge alone.
-Asking $350 but make me an offer! First come first served

She also found this ad for Frigidaire appliances from 1972. This stove cost $289 in 1972. The refrigerator was $369. I think that’s way  more money, adjusted for inflation, than we pay for appliance today.

Come on, someone must neeeeeeeed these!

Expert Patrick — can you give us more information on the history of this poppy color? xoxo Ugh. I *think* I have a story on the blog about these late 60s into 70s appliance colors. But I cannot find it.

1960s-GE-poppy-stoveUpdate: Thanks to some keen eyes, reader Janet in CT spotted another rare red appliance — this 1960s red GE range, listed for sale on the Pensacola, Florida Craigslist.

vintage-1960s-red-stoveFrom the listing:

Vintage 1960’s Range. Original paint (RED), push button setting,very clean in good condition.

retro-red-stove-1960mid-century-red-stovevintage-red-stove-GEWow, what a beauty. Mega thanks to the Craiglist seller for allowing us to archive their photos of this retro-licious red stove. According to the seller, there are already several interested parties and they think the stove will be sold before the week is through.

mid-century-red-stove-1960s

Do you want kitchen appliances in a color or with retro style?

Comments

1. Becky from Iowa says

Oh, be still my heart. If that stove was gas, I’d be heading down the road to Des Moines (I live about 3 hours away) this instant.

But I just can NOT go back to electric coils. Never again.

2. Ima Pam says

The poppy color was included in the retro Viking appliance colors blog from Feb 15, 2012..Is that the one you’re thinking of, Pam K?

no…. i thought i had a story showing the true vintage colors including 70s poppy. the blog has gotten so big, i can’t find my own stories anymore!

3. Chris says

The glass grapes! The glass grapes!!!!! Oh my goodness — I have had a flashback to my childhood. I don’t remember who had them, but someone we knew — someone very COOL — had those grapes. I wished and wished that we had some too.

Wowzer!

(Oh — and the stove and frig are pretty fabulous, too!)

• Ruth says

OMG, you just got me started with the grapes comment. My mother had wooden grapes in teak. A whole bowl full of wooden teak fruit (a snappy centerpiece) bananas, apples, pears! You made my day with that memory.

• gsciencechick says

YES! Someone in our family had the grapes, too, and I also don’t remember who it was. I was fascinated with them as a kid.

• Mandy says

We had the glass grapes and a bowl full of more lifelike rubber grapes..and I now have a bountiful collection of the sisal macrame owls like the one shown here, which are up to about 8 or 9 now. Some are hanging..some are stored away safely. They get very brittle. I don’t want to lose them..ever. :(

4. Annie B. says

Coincidentally, I was just this week reading Thomas Hine’s “Great Funk” in which he described the Poppy color’s failure to take off. Before this reading, I never knew that a Poppy color existed. There it is in living color. And I love it!

• Diane in CO says

The ’80’s? Really?

I agree, not mid-century (the ’70’s). I was married by 1970 so perhaps it depends on which decade you were living out your “formative years,” your youth…. My DIL is into the ’70’s! True mid-century = much more elegant/exciting design. Just MHO :-)

• says

My son was born in 1970 and he is really into the 70s. I float between space age 50s, hippie 60s and way out 70s. They all work together if you squint just right. I just scored me a 1970s Ethan Allen cogwheel coffee table that I coveted when I was setting up my first house and couldn’t afford!

5. lisa says

I love it! Wonder why that faded away while Harvest Gold took off? I’ve never liked the gold color, but the red is just beautiful. And really, any color in appliances is pretty nice.

I was just trying to convince myself that the red Bertazzoni stove would be worth its price.

6. Alexia says

Who were the crazy people who preferred harvest gold, avocado, and brown to POPPY? Those are gorgeous. And I only live about 5 hours from Des Moines…though I suppose I should buy a house before I start stocking up on large appliances…

Rare indeed! These would be so fabulous in a kitchen with some of that recently spotted mylar walllpaper, shazaam. I can just picture my preteen 70’s self in somebodies kitchen where these were in residence. If only I had a time machine. xo, suzy

When I was around 10, or so, my sister bought a house (she’s a lot older) and it had gorgeous poppy colored appliances. I remember thinking they were so beautiful and much more exciting than the plain white ones in our house. She hated them, thought they were “dated” and had them all replaced. Even at 10, I felt that was a tragedy, lol.

9. Paula says

I think this is the fridge my grandma had, which was funny because everything else was 1940’s (metal cabinets, drainboard sink, stove with a trash burner). Come to think of it I guess I need to go take a look!

• lisa says

Maybe your Grandma got it discounted at scratch-n-dent and didn’t have a choice of colors? I have a friend who has a new red washer/dryer set that I covet, and she doesn’t care for. It’s just that the floor model in that color was so much cheaper she couldn’t pass it up.

• Paula says

could be. They lived in a really small town and my guess is that the appliance dealer had it, she needed it and that was that. She did have red brick linoleum and she had yellow enameled cookware with a red pattern that was “just for show”

10. Kelly says

Ahhhh…my first fridge growing up! I remember being a rather precocious child and climbing up a stool to retrieve the Scooby Doo coloring books my mom hid on top of that fridge…then crashing down on the Spanish tiles and getting my first cast! Still wish I had that fridge though!!!

11. Laura says

I had no idea Poppy was a rare color!! I grew up with it – Poppy red fridge and matching dishwasher. We had a corning ware glass top stove that all my friends thought was so cool and cabinet mounted double oven but I can’t remember if the Poppy was on those too. We had this incredible floral vinyl flooring to match – bright orange, white and yellow flowers on a red back ground. It was padded – there were cuts in in from each time we dropped a soup can on it…. I wish I could find an example of that. The fridge stuck around in our basement after we “updated” to a late 80’s white side by side which at the time as a young teen, I thought was LONG over due. Oh what I would do to have that kitchen & those kitchen appliances now now!

12. Rick says

I had a poppy red sauce pan (Club brand) for decades; don’t know what happend to it. Poppy red had/has darker edges just like the vintage copper. It might be ‘this red’ just didn’t go with that many kitchens + avocado really taking off. Also, harvest gold was probably considered a ‘sunnier’ color. Then came ’80s almond when people didn’t want bold ’70s appliance colors.

13. Janet in CT says

I think GE tried a brighter truer red in the late fifties that didn’t take off either and didn’t last long. I too love this color. I swear Bea Arthur had this fridge in one of her sit-coms; I think it was the first one she did. It was a side-by-side in Poppy and even had a radio in the freezer door, which may have been split into a small door at the top and a long door at the bottom. GE brought out several colors I loved that they dropped right away because they didn’t take off. One was Sand, a slightly browner almond that was beautiful but by then, I believe in the mid eighties, neutrals were starting to fade away. At the same time they were doing silver, but they must have seen the writing on the wall and dropped it in favor or producing stainless instead. I love the really old fifties pastels the best, but I don’t think even then that the colors were popular. When I see appliances in color, be it pink or jade or poppy, I can picture a kitchen designed around them!

14. Janet in CT says

I think the stove itself, poppy color aside, is really interesting. I actually came across one on craigslist yesterday but it was just plain ole white. I think it is a deluxe top-of-the-line model, and it looks like it has a fluorescent light on the top under the poppy band. GE stopped putting fluorescent lights on their stoves at one point except for some really high end ones, and you would not believe how many people got angry at that change! I guess alot of people used it for a nightlight, not just cooking. Funny what we get used to and many of us just don’t like change!

15. Toni says

Becky from Iowa, HA! Ditto and I’m only an hour away! You never see gas vintage. I think they wore out quicker. I tried electric for 5 LONG years, gave up, sold my bells and whistles electric smooth top for less than half what I paid for it and bought a scratch and dent Kenmore gas with the money. I can cook again!! I had one of those owls, too, until a couple of years ago.

16. Chris colbern says

Can anyone tell me what the model number of the stove is? I have one almost exactly like it and I need to replace the heating element in oven. I looked all over for model number and all I found is a yellow sticker on back that reads PC.NO.1125638-12-69-Frigidaire 94154. I don’t know if this is the model number or not. Please help! My stove is poppy also and I just love it! (My parent owned it when I was young) it has a lot of sentimental value to me and I would love to be able to repair it. F anybody can confirm the model number and part number for the heating element I would be forever grateful!

17. jh says

I have that exact glass-grape-cluster whatever on that stove! My Granny gave it to me years ago when I was in college. Now that I’ve just purchased a mid-century ranch, I will have to dig it out of storage.

• Silvercat says

I’m not sure. Probably electric. Ventura, California. The closest thrift store to me has a big vintage section that nearly always has droolworthy stuff.

18. Bettie says

I grew up with the Poppy Red fridge and stove in mom’s kitchen. That set was the envy of all that saw it! Guess what folks…..it is still being used in my parents kitchen as I type this! As of yesterday, mom has hinted that it may be time to get new appliances…but these ones still are in excellent working condition….nice to see that Poppy Red is still appreciated by some!

19. melisa says

I just found this same fridge! Trying to buy it before the other person shows up…They are selling it for 50.00 runs great!..wish me luck!

20. Erin says

I’m looking for a red stove and refrigerator here in Columbus, OH. Does anyone know of possible sites/places to go to?