R

Rare poppy red stove and refrigerator — original colors from Frigidaire circa 1975

poppy red frigidaire refrigerator and stoveAn original condition poppy red stove and refrigerator spotted roaming the wild! Along with avocado green, harvest gold and coppertone brown, poppy red was a color promoted for kitchen appliances in the 1970s. Poppy did not take off, so it’s rare to see these red appliances still around. Thanks to reader Trish who over on our Facebook page tipped us off to this terrific vintage stove and refrigerator in this rare and luminous color. [Update: Listing gone. Looks like these found a buyer!]I reached out to the seller, who gave me permission to feature these photos for our ever and ever archive. They are for sale in Des Moines, for just $350. And I bet if you ask real nice, the seller will even throw in that macrame owl, what a hoot šŸ˜‰

red vintage stove poppy color kitchen stoveoriginal poppy color frigidairevintage red refrigeratorHere is what the seller’s listing says:

-Mid 70’s Frigidaire Custom Deluxe Poppy Red Refrigerator and Stove for sale
-Both work, I just upgraded mine so these need a good home.
-Hard-to find poppy red, classic kitch/retro
-Super clean, like New
-Electric Stove and fridge with freezer produced between 1975-1977
-Selling them as a set, may consider an offer on the stove by itself but not the fridge alone.
-Asking $350 but make me an offer! First come first served

She also found this ad for Frigidaire appliances from 1972. This stove cost $289 in 1972. The refrigerator was $369. I think that’s way  more money, adjusted for inflation, than we pay for appliance today.

Come on, someone must neeeeeeeed these!

1960s-GE-poppy-stoveUpdate: Thanks to some keen eyes, reader Janet in CT spotted another rare red appliance — this 1960s red GE range, listed for sale on the Pensacola, Florida Craigslist.

From the listing:

Vintage 1960’s Range. Original paint (RED), push button setting,very clean in good condition.

Wow, what a beauty. Mega thanks to the Craiglist seller for allowing us to archive their photos of this retro-licious red stove. According to the seller, there are already several interested parties and they think the stove will be sold before the week is through.

Do you want kitchen appliances in a color or with retro style?

1. Toni says:

Becky from Iowa, HA! Ditto and I’m only an hour away! You never see gas vintage. I think they wore out quicker. I tried electric for 5 LONG years, gave up, sold my bells and whistles electric smooth top for less than half what I paid for it and bought a scratch and dent Kenmore gas with the money. I can cook again!! I had one of those owls, too, until a couple of years ago.

2. Chris colbern says:

Can anyone tell me what the model number of the stove is? I have one almost exactly like it and I need to replace the heating element in oven. I looked all over for model number and all I found is a yellow sticker on back that reads PC.NO.1125638-12-69-Frigidaire 94154. I don’t know if this is the model number or not. Please help! My stove is poppy also and I just love it! (My parent owned it when I was young) it has a lot of sentimental value to me and I would love to be able to repair it. F anybody can confirm the model number and part number for the heating element I would be forever grateful!

3. jh says:

I have that exact glass-grape-cluster whatever on that stove! My Granny gave it to me years ago when I was in college. Now that I’ve just purchased a mid-century ranch, I will have to dig it out of storage.

1. queenbeetv says:

This was called Poppy Red by Frigidaire. My mom bought this fridge when they first hit the market. She still has it and it works great! We love it! Wish we could have gotten that stove on the ad. We had a tall washer/dryer set too. The dryer was on top of the washer.

1. Silvercat says:

I’m not sure. Probably electric. Ventura, California. The closest thrift store to me has a big vintage section that nearly always has droolworthy stuff.

4. Bettie says:

I grew up with the Poppy Red fridge and stove in mom’s kitchen. That set was the envy of all that saw it! Guess what folks…..it is still being used in my parents kitchen as I type this! As of yesterday, mom has hinted that it may be time to get new appliances…but these ones still are in excellent working condition….nice to see that Poppy Red is still appreciated by some!