Factory built houses: 28 pages of Lincoln Homes from 1955

1955-Retro-Lincoln-homes-catalogThe idea of building the shell of a house in a factory has entranced American home builders for decades. Hodgson Houses claims to have made the first prefabricated homes in the U.S. The Aladdin Company, out of Michigan, was building kit houses as early as 1908. Sears offered them, too. In mid century America, we’d say this fascination was as strong as ever. The country was focused on scientific production methods… There was sheet metal and factories to put to work… And most importantly, the biggest housing boom in American history was “on.” Put these factors all together and: Lots of experiments in factory-built housing.  So it’s great fun to look at today’s catalog — 28 pages of houses manufactured by Lincoln Homes in 1955. They were based in Belle Vernon, Penn., and it looks like they sold into Pennsylvania, Ohio, and a bit of West Virginia. These houses are such classic mid century modest houses … and inspecting the illustrations, you can get lots of ideas for siding, masonry, shutters, and other features to improve the curb appeal of a small house.

building-lincoln-home-steps

Above: Photographic proof that Lincoln Homes go up quickly. Seems like they gave you everything for the shell, plus the kitchen cabinets. You then used subcontractors for the rest.

A few of our favorite factory-built houses:

Carol-ranch-house-exterior-planNow the only problem is deciding which one of these delectable styles would be the most wonderful to inhabit. I’m calling out just some of my favorites — there are even more in the slide show at the end of this story.

Above: The Carol has a nice long and low profile with just enough interest — generated by stone built in planters and a two-leveled stone knee wall — to be a quintessential mid century ranch.

Jane-retro-cape-cod-style-houseIf your taste is a little more traditional — why not go for this lovely cape cod style two story. The gabled windows, jutting entry and possible sunroom or breezeway between the house and the garage make it particularly charming.

heather-ranch-house-Lincoln-homes-retroThe Heather is a much more modernistic style for the time — though it gets a breezeway, too. Notice how the front, plant lined walk creates a small patio next in front of the wall of windows.

Betty-retro-stone-ranch-house-with-carport

The Betty is a ranch that looks like it’s designed to fit on a narrow lot. Its hip roof masks its narrow profile (versus having you look at the side of a gable end, as you see in many southern shotgun cottages.) Also notice  how the home designer has made the stone wall at two different heights on the front of the house — which in turn makes room for a large picture window on one side and smaller bedroom windows on the other. Balanced asymmetrical design details like this are very true to mid century style — the challenge was to figure out more, novel ways to make a small box not look so much like a small boring box.

Patricia-retro-brick-ranch

The Patricia is such a sweet ranch — a built-in planter and cute ladder support greet visitors as they approach the front door. The house is very balanced — the ratio of darker brick to white siding is spot on. The strong horizontal lines of the roof and brick facade are balanced by the verticals in the board and batten siding. Very nicely done. We love vertical board and batten on a long low ranch — keeps your eye moving.

Janice-Lincoln-home-ranch-househmmm. Design critic here. It might be that Janice has a leetle too much going on when it comes to varieties of siding and masonry. Maybe keep it to just four — even three key materials? And, the more materials you use, dial down the color combos? Even so, this house has much fundamental charm.

Marge-Lincoln-homes-retro-stone-ranchAnd here is Marge — don’t you just love the front door, the bumped out stone and picture window combination, the built in planters, the gently sloping roofline?

Factory built vacation houses, too:

Sportsman-Lincoln-home-vintage-planLincoln Homes also offered several small, factory-built vacation houses — like this cute Sportsman model, above. Even the miniature house plans are big on style.

Lincoln-holiday-home-retro-planWho wouldn’t want to take a holiday in this cute little ranch? An exposed chimney adds interest to the porch that runs the entire end of the house — a perfect place to line up the metal lawn chairs and enjoy a cocktail. When the weather tuns chilly, head inside and warm up by the fire in this cozy and quaint house.

Thanks to MBJ Collection, contributor of this catalog via archive.org for sharing and making this catalog available via Creative Commons License.

SeeAllOurVintageCatalogsSMALLTips to view slide show: Click on first image… it will enlarge and you can also read my captions… move forward or back via arrows below the photo… you can start or stop at any image:

Comments

1. Linda says

I love the “Jane” The price was a 1955 price, $1500 was a lot of money for the average middle class family. We so so very little middle class now, it is what the country needs.

Well, I’m a bit of an authority when it comes to kit homes, but I had never heard of “Lincoln Homes.”

Very cool. And the houses are sweet!!!

Thanks for posting all those pages! Now I’m wondering if “Lincoln Homes” migrated as far as Norfolk, VA (where I live).

BTW, despite the fact that I am immersed in studying and researching early 20th Century architecture, I’m the proud and happy owner of a 1962 brick ranch, replete with the world’s most perfect (and all original) pink bathroom!

Rosemary Thornton
    author, The Houses That Sears Built
    author, The Sears Homes of Illinois
    co-author, The Mail-Order Homes of Montgomery Wards

I like Heather, but I really think me and Marge would get along just fine! It looks alot like my parents’ first home in Indiana, built in 1963. I don’t think it was a kit, but you never know, I guess!
    Speaking of knowing whether a house was a kit, I’d like to know if there is some archives somewhere that has documentation on where all these kit homes were built. I’d sure like to know where some of them are – especially in northeastern Ohio – so I could go gaze at them (or see if they’re still there)!

4. Cat says

A little late to the party, but…

More mid century modest kit homes fabulousness:

If newspaper ads of the time are any indication, there was some fierce competition between (Gordon, Murphy) Swift and Lincoln Homes in PA. You will note that Swift insists that their were homes are pre-CUT, not pre-fab… Hm.

Readers who are now wondering whether their home might be one of these may consider looking inside their attic. The “asphalt insulation boards” exposed inside my gable ends proudly display the Swift Homes logo. One Westbrooke, confirmed. What might the Lincoln telltale signs be?

5. Erin says

Very cool resource. I live in the Pittsburgh area in a typical mid century modest home. By looking at his catalog, my house as well as every other house on my street look like the “Deborah” style.

6. Ruth says

Don’t know how in the world I missed this when it was first posted. I live in a kit home (not a mid century cutie unfortunately, mine was built in 1939). My home, alone with quite a few homes in my town was built by the Aladdin company of Michigan. They were a big player in the kit home building business, and one of the few to survive World War II. Here is a link to the 1954 home catalog, complete with ideas for furnishings and all the floor plans. http://www.cmich.edu/library/clarke/ResearchResources/Michigan_Material_Local/Bay_City_Aladdin_Co/Documents/1954_annual_sales_catalog.pdf
    Also a list of all the years catalogs, and links about the company and how to research your own house for evidence of being mass marketed. http://www.cmich.edu/library/clarke/ResearchResources/Michigan_Material_Local/Bay_City_Aladdin_Co/Catalogs/Pages/default.aspx

Yes, we’ve featured the Aladdin catalogs before. Thanks for the reminder about them. And lucky you, for living in such a storied house!

7. Roger says

My home is a modified carol 8 Lincoln home. By modified , I mean I moved the kitchen wall out 2 feet, the bedroom wall out 2 feet, and made the back of the house even, not horseshoe shaped. The walls outside walls came assembled, but the interior walls and roof were stick built with material provided. I’ve been here (Gary Paul Lane) since Oct. 1967 .

• Roger Warren says

I ordered a modified Carol 8 Lincoln home in 1967, oversaw its construction and moved in on Oct. 1st. of that year,and I’m still living in it. Most of the houses on my street (Gary Paul Lane) are Lincoln homes.

8. Vickie says

if I gave you my address can I find out if you guys have the plans for it? I’d really like to find out if it was actually built with two bathrooms.

9. Kathy Dudek says

Do you have any catalogs I can order of your homes?
    We are looking to downsize to a 1200 sq ft. home and my husband does not do computers. He likes the books better.

Kathy