• Jubilee kitchen wax — aka Johnson’s wax — is back!

jubilee
    Jubilee kitchen wax — is back. I received the news this morning. (Doesn’t this bottle look so pretty at the top of our homepage?) Here’s the scoop, so far:

UPDATE: We received a tip from reader Janice today (10/22/13) that The Vermont Country Store is now selling single bottles of Jubilee Kitchen Wax. Previously, Jubilee had only been offered for sale by the case.

The consumer sales representative for Malco, Products, Inc. wrote me:

We just licensed Jubilee® Kitchen Wax from SC Johnson and have it available on our website. I was hoping that you might be able to write about the product relaunch so consumers know they can find it now. As of know, it is only available on our website but we plan to have larger distribution soon.

I know that this was a very popular wax back in the day. I think that readers have brought it up before as a product they’d like to see back on the market. Here’s what Malco’s website say Jubilee can be used for:

Jubilee is an easy-to-use liquid furniture wax made especially for protecting while cleaning appliances, Formica laminated plastic, ceramic tile, enamel and wood.

Jubilee cannot scratch, never dulls, is stain resistant and puts down a tough, hard shine that protects surfaces while making spills easier to wipe clean. Jubilee removes: grease spots, soot, lipstick, food stains, crayon, fingerprints and yellow cooking films.

I asked the Malco rep right away, “Is it the same formulation as in the way-back-time-machine days?” and, when it might be available as single bottles — right now the only way you can buy it is by the case on the Malco website. She quickly replied:

As of now it is only available in a case of 12.  We just had our first run last Thursday and have not gotten samples out to reps yet for distribution.  I am guessing it will be available at Hardware stores and online specialty stores but cannot say who will pick up this re launch.

As far as the formula goes, it is the original formula but we did have to change one raw material that was no longer available and made the product VOC complaint. We also re launched the product Grease Relief last year just FYI!  It is available on our website, Amazon and other online stores.

If you send me your address I am happy to send you a sample of Jubilee® to try for yourself!

Heck to the yeah, I said! Send me a sample.

Can Jubilee really be used to brighten up laminate counter tops?

Grace Jeffers has told me “no” – that plastic doesn’t like wax, it likes polymers, because it’s a polymer. On the other hand, didn’t our moms and grannies etc. use Jubilee a lot a lot?

And look closely at the label in the lead photo on this story: “Fatal if swallowed.” READERS, NOTE!

Disclaimer: Here on the blog, as homeowners ourselves, we may try new cleaning products aimed at solving our own cleaning problems; if we think we’ve found something promising to consider, we may write about it. But, we are not professional chemists or engineers or home economists. So, please: Do your own research into these products and their suitability for your projects before trying them. More info in Terms of Use.

Jubilee kitchen wax video from back the 1960s (?)

Thanks reader Chad for spotting this!

Again, the linky link: Jubilee kitchen wax from Malco Products, Inc.

Readers, do you have memories of using Jubilee? What do you think of this announcement?

• Get our retrolicious free newsletter.

Comments

1. Pat Boehm says:

Jubilee is now available in single bottles thru the Vermont Country Store. Visit their website.

2. Joan Leighton says:

I have been gripping to everyone since Johnson’s took Jubliee floor wax and the emamel wax for appliances off the market I loved them back in the 50′s and would love to buy them again now. I have missed them soooo much. Greatest products ever made.

3. Barbara Johnson says:

Years ago, we had ‘real’ Formica. Today, we have a derivitive of that, formica “laminate” with indicates a type of “plastic”.

I actually bought the last bottle on the shelf of an old fashioned 5 &10 cent store in Concord Center, Concord, MA, and the propriator told me then this exact same story. I then called the company and was told the only way to buy this was to buy the case. Thank goodness I was able to find a bottle, and I had searched for quite awhile on the internet. Barb J.

4. I received a bottle from Vermont Country Store last week and used it on our island countertop (Formica solid surface) today. It left the sheen as-is, rather than changing it from satin to gloss, which is nice. As for it also being a cleaner, I guess I was expecting a miracle when it came to water spots. Some very vigorous scrubbing with the Jubilee on the damp cloth pretty much got rid of them.

But yeah, the aroma is neat. Also, my hands felt silky smooth afterward, thanks to their new wax coating. :)

5. Patricia Brown says:

I loved using Jubilee Kitchen Wax and I am so glad that it has returned! Thanks for the email advisory!

6. Sherry Perdue says:

YES ! I remember this stuff – My mother used it faithfully on all the kitchen appliances and it was GOOD stuff !

I couldn’t remember the name of it but when I finally came across it – it came back to me instantly – Jubilee – Of Course – I could even see the bottle in my mind.

I want some but do not need a case. Where can I get it in a single bottle ?

• Check the Vermont Country Store, although other places have it by the bottle also, and you may find a better price there. I have found that Jubilee replaces a good number of other cleaners though, and it has been worth ordering a case directly from Malco Products, as the unit bottle price is MUCH lower. It really cleaned up the keys on my piano!

7. Berma Holub says:

I have looked for Jubilee. In the ’60s and ’70s I used it in my bathtub & shower tile walls and it keep them clean for a long time. I want it again.

8. I stil have some in a bottle – I used the spray a lot. I loved using it on porcelain as it kept gook from sticking to it and we did use it on the laminate counters, which I still have. Can’t wait to get some more and actually use it again!

9. Joe Felice says:

I know EVERYBODY used Jubilee for everything back in the day. I remember always seeing a bottle of it around the house when I was growing up. But personally, the 2 products I miss the most are Big Wally, which cleaned walls wonderfully without taking off paint, and Kleen ‘n’ Shine, which was great for everything else, especially appliances. I had some appliances that had been painted, and this was the only thing that worked without dulling or scratching the painted surface. And I do believe both of these were made by S C Johnson, also.

10. Dan Dexter says:

I have found Turtle Wax’s Express Shine to work very well on all surfases, including glass. I use it on all my vintage painted appliances to keep them gleaming and easy to clean. Also works extremely well on my LG top loading washing machine. It easily removes all that soap residue that tends to accumulate on the lid, especially since the lid has a glass window in it. Plus, it smells really nice. You can find it nearly everywhere, but definitely at any auto store.

11. Richard Buckner says:

Jubilee was used in my home and I used it early in my household. For some reason, my wife, who did most of the cleaning, quit using it. After a long illness I started helping clean up the kitchen and went to the grocery looking for it and could not find it. I Googled it and found this URL. I would love to be able to buy it in single bottles; I would be dead before I used 12. I just bought a new white freezer and want to give the old one to a charity and clean both (and all of my other kitchen appliances) with it. Too bad it went off of the market; does anyone know why it did? Why is it not available in single bottles? How much is a case of 12?

12. Joe Felice says:

Why not buy a case and give bottles as gifts? I bet people would be thrilled.

13. Jubilee is a lot cheaper on amazon thru aceandbuggybookstore….

14. I’ve been thinking about this product for over a year and couldn’t remember the name of it! The minute I saw “Jubilee” by Johnsons Wax I knew I’d found it again. I loved the smell of it and it worked like a charm. I just happened upon this site and am delighted to find out that I can purchase it again!

Thank you so much!

15. I miss the Jubilee kitchen Wax spray. I had used it for over 50+ years on everything in the kitchen, bathroom, marble counters and of all the best on “My patent Leather Pumps/Purses” back in the days of my youth. I still have patent purses and it still works, although I am sure they are plastic. It works on plastic too! My last supply was ordered directly from Johnson (1 case) and if I had known they were going to discontinue this excellent product I would have purchase several more cases to last me for the next years.
      Hopefully this company will bring back the spray cans also. I have 1 partial can left and am using it sparely on my marble tables/counters.

16. I have a few spray cans i got a few years ago on ebay [no, not for sale!!]. and use jubilee in nearly everything in the kitchen… an amazing product that has in my estimation, never been equaled. My can does NOT state that it not to be used on granite… I DO use it on the granite and nothing protects and shines like it does. We DO NOT ever put food directly on the countertop.. [think of the TV ad where the woman is wiping her countertop with a chicken.. GROSS] We ALWAYS use plates, cutting boards etc. So, unless a cloth or paper towel wipes the counter first and then is used ON the food item, I see no problem.. I will probably buy a few bottles to give as gifts, and will put the spray cans in my will for my kids.

17. yup, i miss the spray can, but i just got my bottle from amazon seller
      (aceandbuggybookstore) at a good price, and put it in a fine spray bottle…works almost as well

sweet memories

carole

18. I am so very pleased to see that I can again purchase Jubliee I have missed it so much, I used it on bathroom tiles and counter tops too. I hope it has the same smell, because I miss that too:) Color me excited to find that it is back. Funny I was just cleaning the kitchen, and wishing I had Jubliee for the counter tops so came online and searched, and well here you are:)

19. I am sooo happy to be able to get Jubilee wax again….I found it on Amazon this week, selling single bottles….got mine from a seller by the name of aceandbuggybookstore….the name caught my eye as my nickname is ace…

it came today, and I am waxing, waxing, waxing…

20. For all you pursuers of trivia like me … Out of curiosity I contacted S. C. Johnson & Son, Inc. and was told that Jubilee Kitchen Wax was introduced in January 1959.

21. Terri Ring says:

So glad to hear Jubilee is back. My mom used it when I was growing up and I did too, until sometime in the 80′s, when it disappeared (my guess is because it was so toxic). Nothing else got greasy smudges off cabinet doors and appliances like Jubilee. I’m going to order some!