8 places to find drop in stainless steel drainboard sinks

Drop-in-ss-drainboard-sinksIf you love the functionality of the classic farmhouse drainboard sink – but don’t necessarily want vintage or reproduction porcelain – perhaps a drop-in stainless steel drainboard sink is just the ticket. After searching far and wide — I’ve come up with seven places where you can find drop-in stainless steel drainboard sinks today — in a range of sizes, styles and prices sure to fit any kitchen and budget.

Note: We are not experts on manufacturing and materials specifications issues, so we did not try to try to assess these sinks for gauges / construction / durability. There could well be differences model-to-model, so if you are in the market, this is something you should/could research further. We do tend to believe that if your stainless steel drainboard sink is of good quality, it will last virtually forever. Regarding scratches and the like, we do not get in a tizzy when it comes to hard working surfaces like this. We quite like patina, actually.

#1 Elkay:

Elkay-drop-in-ss-drainboard-sink10-drop-in-drainboard-sinks-from-Elkay

We already know that Elkay makes stainless steel drainboard sinks — perfect for a mid century kitchen remodel – but they also make several drop in drainboard sinks — 10 different configurations by my count. These sinks are pricey, so make sure to save your pennies if you fall in love with one.

#2 Franke USA:

Franke-ss-drop-in-drainboard-sinkFranke sinks are made in the USA — always a plus — and this model (the only drainboard stainless steel sink I could find by the company) sells for right around $100 and is available at big box stores like Lowes, Home Depot and Menards.

#3 American Standard:

American-standard-drop-in-drainboard-sinkAmerican Standard also appears to only have one drop in stainless steel drainboard sink — the Culinaire top mount dual level sink & drain board. At just under $1,000 — it is pricey — especially if you were hoping for more sink bowl space.

#4 Fluid:

Fluid-SS-drop-in-drainboard-sinkThe Fluid Company has one very modern and streamlined stainless steel double bowl drainboard kitchen sink — available for about $800.

#5 Ikea:

Ikea-Boholmen-stainless-drop-in-drainboard-sinkThe Ikea Boholmen sink series — available in four configurations ranging from $85 – $202 – is as affordable as it is reversible — since there are no faucet holes, faucets must be placed in counter top or backsplash.

#6 Whittington:

whittington-ss-drop-in-drainboard-sinkIf you are looking for a drop in stainless steel drainboard sink with a single bowl, single faucet hole — look no further than the Infinite stainless steel rectangular drop in prep sink with drainboard from Whittington. At $165 it won’t break the bank, and its compact size won’t hog the counter top either. They also make a round version.

#7 Kindred:

kindred-stainless-steel-drop-in-drainboard-sinkThere is also a modern looking stainless steel drop in sink model from Kindred sinks. I couldn’t find any pricing information — but if you are looking for a double bowl model with a sleek design — this sure fits the bill.

#8 Buy vintage:

stainless steel drainboard sink

Pam spotted this vintage sink at her local Re-Store just last week — it was $40.

We guesstimate that this style of sink has been around for decades — especially from Elkay. So if you want to save big bucks, keep your eyes peeled at the Restore Habitat for Humanity and maybe craigslist — you might find one at a small fraction of the retail price today. The photo above is Pam’s. She said that this sink seemed “pretty honkin’ heavy duty.” She could not easily see a label. It was priced at just $40. If you have a ReStore, and you have the time to stalk it, you can find amazing bargains.

Want a complete stainless steel counter top? See our story — 5 ways to do stainless steel counter tops.

And, we have a mega round up page — All about Farmhouse drainboard sinks.

Comments

1. lynda says

I have had the 18/8 stainless large single bowl sink with the right side drainboard and 3 holes since 1977 dropped into our maple butcherblock counters. Both sink and counters still look great after all these years. The quality of the stainless is important if you want the sink to last and look good for a long time.

• sprayfaint says

@Lynda how do you find the drop-in works with your butcher block? I want to do the same with my upcoming kitchen reno but was advised that a drop-in sink may catch water and warm the counter faster than an undermount would.

• lynda says

Sprayfaint, We have had no trouble with the 2″ thick maple butcher block warping. I do not leave water standing on the counter. I use cutting boards for prepping food and wash them or put them in the dishwasher. We used to put Watco Danish Oil on the counters and then maintained them with mineral oil. A few years ago we sanded them and put on Waterlox. Waterlox is a better product, however bleach, even Oxiclean will mar the surface and they do not touch up easily. Our tops are 36 years old and look great. The Waterlox does not need further maintenance, but another coat should be put on every 3 years or so. You do not have to sand the surface for a new coating of Waterlox.

2. lynda says

Hmm…forgot to say the sink above is an Elkay Sink from 1977. I will say that if you use wood counters, you may want the type of sink that has the stainless back splash too. That has been the only area of my butcher block counter that has been troublesome over the years. I keep the wood well sealed and use a towel to cover the area when using the sink. The drainboard area of the stainless sink is such a nice feature in the kitchen.

3. Lynne says

I can vouch for the quality and durability of the Franke sinks. I have had other brands in my past houses, and the two Frankes were the absolute best. Franke puts a nice amount of insulation on the bottom so its nice and quiet when the water hits the bowl. No tinny hollow sounds. As a matter of fact, when we remodeled our last home, I kept the Franke sink and reused it in the new cabinets. They sell nice faucets, too.

• lynda says

Franke is a great brand. Just make sure you get the thicker gauge and the 18/8 stainless. My daughter bought the Franke for her kitchen after a lot of research. I think there were two different sink lines and the quality was not the same. From the site: ” Franke uses nothing but the best when it comes to top quality stainless steel. Their sinks vary anywhere from 16 gauge, which is commercial gauge, to 20 gauge sinks. Franke has a line of Professional Series sinks at 16 gauge giving you the highest quality stainless steel used in commercial kitchens.” (Remember the lower the gauge, the thicker the stainless.)

4. midmichigan says

It’s always good to know what you’re paying for and how “stainless”, stainless steel is. A quick test is with a magnet. Any magnet will do, even the promotional, “stick on” type. The more attracted to the metal it is the more ferrous content it has which means it will have an easier propensity to oxidize or “rust” depending on its application.

5. Jeannie says

My sweetie and I are in the process of restoring a sprawling 1951 ranch…the kitchen needed a new corner stainless steel sink. We searched everywhere for one…..then found one in the UK. It’s being delivered today!!! It’s a CDA, and I love the drainboard.

6. Mary Elizabeth says

I love my stainless sinks in my home and in my camp trailer. I have been using Cameo Aluminum and Stainless Steel Cleanser on my stainless steel sinks forever, because my mother and grandmother did so. (It’s been around at least since World War II, if not before.) It is not available in every store, but I can usually find it in ShopRite grocery stores. It does a fantastic job of cleaning and polishing the sink, but I worry because it is sightly abrasive. Does Pam or anyone out there have a great nonabrasive product for polishing and cleaning stainless?

7. lynda says

Kindred is another good stainless brand and I think they have a drop in with a drainboard. I have Kindred undermounts in the master bath.

8. Laura in PA says

Ikea sells a cutter-tool that can cut a hole in the sink for a faucet, in that triangle of space at the back where sink and drainboard meet. It is not pre-drilled, because the sink is reversible. The faucet will be at an angle. If you install it this way, the faucet does not have to be in the back splash or counter top. We have had ours set up this way for several years and it’s held up great!

9. Gail DeVore says

Pam, may I respectfully add: IKEA has more than the BOHOLMEN line of stainless sinks, also check their NUMERAR, FYNDIG, and BREDSKAR

We installed the double bowl/drainboard BOLOLMEN $203, last summer in our retro kitchen and couldn’t be happier!

By the way, the faucet hole IS cut in the sink by your self, or your contractor.

We used Formica’s brand of solid surfacing Signatures (like corian) to get a vintage look for the sink area in Citron Ice (lime green ice)
    and gave it the stainless snap on edging and cove mouldings from New York Metal
    The entire look is perfect (I need to get pictures to you)
    thanks to you and your sources Pam!

Thanks for the clarification. I will ask Kate to update the information to clarify who has multiple models…. And YES, dear, send me your pics!!!!!

• Kate says

Thanks for pointing out the FYNDIG drainboard stainless steel sink — I’m adding it to the story. The NUMERAR and BREDSKAR are nice, but they don’t have drainboards…

10. RG says

I just looked up the Franke sink as I always try to buy American whenever possible. According to the specifications, this model is made in China. I didn’t check out any of their other models, which may be made here. I’m just commenting on this model.

11. Laura T says

Just put the Elkay double sink, double drainboard in my delightful new kitchen, with mid-century feel. Love it!