1949 time capsule house filled with original charm

vintage house exteriorTour-a-Time-CapsuleSmall is good. And this small, midcentury modest time capsule house in Omaha, Nebraska, (now sold) listed for sale by agent Rachel Tiller… well, it’s  pretty much 1949 perfection.  Two bedrooms, two bathroooms, coved ceilings, a coolonial knotty pine basement — all in 1,119 s.f. — what a sweetheart.

vintage living roomFrom the listing:

• Price: $95,000
  • Year built: 1949
  • Square footage: 1,119
  • Bedrooms: 2
  • Bathrooms: 2

Well maintained all brick home 2 bed 2 bath ranch in desirable Benson. Beautiful wood floors on the main and fireplace in the living room. Kitchen has lots of cabinets for storage. Master bedroom has double closets! Large flat yard with porch and mature trees. Great location close to schools and downtown Benson!

vintage bathroomThis pink and blue vintage tile bathroom is perfection. I love all of the little details like the random mosaic flooring, the decorative liner tiles and the contrasting bullnose tile. The addition of the white fixtures and ceramic bath accessories keeps the bathroom sweet without going overboard. Love.

knotty pineThen there is the warm toned knotty pine basement rec room– a cozy spot for family to gather and unwind together — complete with a fireplace.

knotty pine built in radioReader Brenda, who tipped us off to this charming home, wondered if this was a built-in wall radio. What do you think?

vintage kitchenI spy a vintage stove in the cute wood and white vintage kitchen, too. Just lovely.

I predict a home with this much personality at such an affordable price won’t last long. Mega thanks to realtor Rachel Tiller and photographer Minchu Yi for allowing us to feature this gem.

Link love:

Read more about the ’40s:

Tips to view slide show: Click on first image… it will enlarge and you can also read my captions… move forward or back via arrows below the photo… you can start or stop at any image:

1. Linda Hansen says

What a charming home. I hope someone gets it who appreciates the charm. To many of these beauties are lost to the people who just think BIG!

2. Pat says

I live near Benson, wish we could get by with only 2 bedrooms, I love it! I couldn’t find it on the real estate site though, wonder if it’s sold already.

3. Ellen says

This is such an amazing house but I bet I couldn’t withstand Nebraska winters! What a fabulous layout for just over 1,000 sq feet. Our Florida 1949 stucco house is 1,700 and doesn’t seem as big as this one. Plus the basement! I would buy it in a heartbeat if it were in Florida. Thanks for the photos. Really enjoyed looking it over.

4. ineffablespace says

I particularly love the bathroom color scheme– the text pattern color combination is great– and the basement paneling.

Pam/Kate: I am sending the link to a time capsule with a Googie-ish kitchen. Be on the lookout. I am posting in here because I know you get lots of email. I hope you can use it.

5. DgLvr says

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it – makes me want to move to Omaha! I could just move in, there is NOTHING to do with this house!

• Mark says

Oh thanks for posting this. I almost want to move to Omaha after seeing this. Exceptinally well preserved. Knotty pine basement to die for! I hope it finds an appreciative owner.

6. Mike says

Now THIS house I LOVE! About that built-in wall radio, my grandparents’ ’50s house had one very similar to it in… wait for it… a knotty pine wall! Was located in their basement under the stairs. And this house’s bathroom’s layout is exactly like the one in our ’62 ranch, except it was flipped the other way. ’40s mid mod is RIGHTEOUS!

7. AmyS says

What a perfectly charming home! It has everything a home needs. Where & when did people get the idea they needed more space than this? It reminds me of my grandparent’s home which my grandfather built completely by himself (& w/a little help w/ lifting, I’m guessing But electrical, plumbing, everything was all him) for his new bride, my grandmother. Throughout the years he’s done updating and all repairs. Last time I visited, my 97 yr-old grandfather was updating the bathrooms, modernizing it. Seems whoever owned this home felt the same way about their home &kept it up.
    I’m imagining a young Omahawan soldier returning home from the war & built this house for his bride! What a generation!

8. Linda Haas says

What a beauty! My favorite is that bathroom! It’s perfect! How awesome that it was not updated!!!