Amy saves a 1957 Harrison pink steel kitchen — now on display in her vintage shop

vintage-pink-kitchen-cabinetsAmy-250Amy was at an estate sale searching for vintage goodies to stock her shop Vintage Déjà Vu, when she spotted this 1957 Harrison pink steel kitchen — perfect to use as a display in her store. She expressed her interest in purchasing the kitchen and to her surprise, a day later she received a call from the homeowners agreeing to sell it to her — yet another story showing that it always pays to ask.

Amy writes:

I own a small vintage store that I just opened in February. Just this week we installed a 1957 Harrison Pink metal kitchen as a display piece. I was told by a few people that I should contact Retro Renovation to see if you were interested in posting the story. I also hope that more people would see my story and learn to ask if these things are for sale at estate sales or leave notes to save the few that are left!

vintage-pink-kitchen-cabinets

The story….

I was at an estate sale and noticed the pink kitchen, and it was love at first site! I took a chance and asked the people at the sale if it was for sale. They said they didnt think so, but they would pass along my number to the owners. A few days after the sale I got a call from the owners saying, YES, it was for sale just make us an offer! I made them an offer and picked up the kitchen. Sadly, I found out the house is more than likely going to be torn down, so it made me love this piece even more knowing that I saved it! It’s far from good condition, but perfect for a display piece to hold all my kitchen items. I would have put it in my condo if I didn’t live in a studio, but now I get to enjoy it every day at work!

AmyYou can see more of the goodies from Amy’s store and photos of the installation process of her 1957 Harrison pink metal kitchen on her Facebook page:

Mega thanks to Amy for sharing her story and photos with us — and thanks, too, to the readers who told her to contact us — woot!

Read all our stories about vintage steel kitchens

Comments

1. Jennifer says

What a terrific save! And a great lesson–ask, for your own sake, and ask for the owners’ sake! (Frankly, I would never have thought to ask!)

2. Gearhead1960 says

I also share a similar story. I was at an Estate Sale where there were circa 1955 GE Turquoise Steel Cabinets outfitting the entire kitchen. I asked if the cabinets were for sale and was told no. A week later, the Estate Sale Company sent out an email stating that the heirs decided to sell the cabinets for $500. Too much for my blood, but made an offer of $300 which was accepted! I now have these cabinets installed in my garage and laundry room for storage! It also included a section of Butcher Block for counter top which I sanded down and oiled. http://goldberg60.blogspot.com/2013/02/new-home-for-butcher-block.html.

3. tammyCA says

Nifty! Another reason to go to estate sales. More than likely the vintage appliances/kitchens will be ripped out by new owners so it’s a great idea to ask to buy or cart away.

4. Andi says

What a great re-use of those great pink cabinets! Uniquely appropriate for your display, and saved from the wrecking ball. If you weren’t halfway across the country I’d come browsing in your shop…I spy several items that would go in my kitchen!

5. Karen says

#1 Yeaaaa!
    #2 Envy – I love pink
    #3 Several times now, I’ve been at estate sales where the toilet and sink are our kind of vintage. I already have a pink set, but always ask if the items are for sale. The estate sale person is always surprised that there is value in the bathroom. I give them the RetroRenovation and Save the Pink Bathroom websites in hope of saving things some of us are eager to acquire.
    Anything to save these beautiful, colorful, well made items!

🙂

Reminds me of how I keep trying to buy the heavy duty vintage marbleized Church toilet seats right off the toilet. I need to start leaving notes for the next owners – I will bet that 9 times out of ten, they throw them out. Break my heart.

• Mary Elizabeth says

I remember those beautiful marbleized Church seats! When I was a little girl, I lifted up the seat in Grandma’s house and found the “Church” name on it. I told her, “We should call them Pee-ews! Get it, Grandma? Church seats are ‘pews.'”

6. Joe Felice says

Not sure why, but pink kitchens don’t have the allure for me that pink bathrooms do. For some reason, when I think kitchen, I also think turquoise, aqua, or yellow. But that’s just Joe. That having been cleared up, I want the copper canisters, and all the yellow stuff!

I have a (faux) copper backsplash behind the range, and my accent color is yellow. The main color is aqua.

7. Lenier says

If the Harrison cabinets are rare to find I have to consider myself lucky, I’ve recently bought a 10 pieces set of a pink Harrison kitchen in South Jersey and they’re in a marvelous shape despite the time, though. I really love my cabinets and I can’t wait to upgrade my kitchen with them…