DIY Putz house #9 — Palm Springs rick rack roof — download our free pattern

midcentury-putz-housekitschmas-krazyOur third Putz house pattern for this year — ninth in our series — is what I like to call the Palm Springs rick rack roof ranch (try saying that three times fast!). This model is challenging — that rick rack roof, combined with large windows means lots of careful cutting and scoring — but oh what fun it is to decorate!

midcentury-putz-houseFirst of all, I want to note that it would have been much easier to use a thinner piece of cardboard for the roof. The accordion folds were not easy to do with thick cardboard at all. Thinner card stock would be much less bulky in the valleys of the roof, folding and lining up with the front wall much easier.

midcentury-putz-houseThat being said, gaps and a multitude of other sins can be covered with hot glue and glitter.

midcentury-putz-houseThe carport would be a great place to park a matchbox car or the like. Those festive striped support posts are none other than a paper drinking straw that I cut down to size and glued in place. Paper drinking straws (or plastic straws) in combination with just the right bead or bauble would also make a great light post.

midcentury-putz-houseYou might recognize another new addition…

midcentury-putz-houseA mini Modbox — larger than scale of the house — because if it was to scale, you would need tweezers to put it together.

midcentury-putz-house midcentury-putz-houseYes, this Palm Springs ranch house even has a yard ornament. I purchased this four pack of pint-sized Department 56 Village flamingos at the end of season sale at Menards last year for just such an occasion.

midcentury-putz-houseDon’t forget to make sure a little snow falls on your flamingo too!

Click here to download Kate’s free Putz house pattern

For basic instructions and a list of materials needed for this project, see my first mid century Putz house pattern.

Make a whole neighborhood of mid century “Putz” style houses:

Comments

These are fabulous! We host a gingerbread party every year for our daughter and her friends (she’s 16 now and we are in our 11th year). I am definitely rocking the Palm Springs house this time. THANK YOU

YAY, Yes, I LOVE having little parties to make things like this! Such a great way to connect with friends. There’s just something about crafting…..

• Kate says

I’ll try to remember to take one when I get the other six out after Thanksgiving — but they won’t all fit on my mantel! 🙂

2. Jay says

Well then, it’s time to place your Putz houses where they belong – in a proper MCM sub division cul-de-sac Putz village under the Christmas tree.

3. tammyCA says

Super Palm Springs house! Lovin’ those little details like the mailbox and flamingo! Ooh, maybe a tiny Frank Sinatra, too. 🙂

4. PF Flyer says

I’ve visited Palm Springs ten times in the last eleven winters and have yet to see snow on any roof out there…just sayin’…

5. Carrie says

Hmmm, yes PF Flyer. Highly suspect you know…come to think of it, I have never seen glitter along roof edges, nor pink trees. But, those seemed to have passed your criticisms…

6. Jan Sobbe says

You have inspired me. I cheated and made the patterns into templates on my craft cutter but I am obsessed with making tiny mid-century homes! (function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = “//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1”; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));
    Post by Janet Hudgens Sobbe.

7. Paul Parker says

I love the two new additions.
    I made myself a set of houses last Christmas, but this Christmas I made a set of six with the two new ones as my gift for our family gift exchange. I used green glitter paper for the “yard” and white glitter paper for the roof because if it snows in Florida, it doesn’t stay on the ground. I bought plastic palm trees and doused them with glitter glue and glued some baubles on them: voila, Florida Christmas.
    I felt like a little kid making these.
    I use cereal boxes; much easier to cut and glue.

8. Paul Parker says

I just read the cheating comment; I cheated too. I cut the cereal boxes to 8.5×11 and fed them through my old printer. It worked perfectly.

9. walt says

may i use these plans for a craft show / sale item our church is having this coming winter (2015)? i love the idea of a craft night to invite friends into.

10. melanie says

I’m a little late to the party but I lived in so calf for 25 years and still have family down there. It has snowed in palm springs several, times. But its all about fantasy anyway.
    My real problem is I can’t download the patterns.. I was able to do the very first one but the others just take me to a blank page. Maybe someone can help.
    Thanks so much, my glitter is waiting