Subtitle this one: Fun with basic 4″ tiles! Josh Blanc, part of the team runs Clay Squared to Infinity in Minneapolis, contacted us to share the results of a recent kitchen project. Using colorful B&W Tiles, Josh collaborated with the homeowner Nancy to design the lively tile backsplash in this midcentury-style kitchen. The kitchen design also features vintage lighting, Formica charcoal boomerang countertops and loads of cheerful, coordinated color. Let’s take a look!
I finally have some cool photos of a kitchen we worked on, which had to be completely redesigned from its 1980’s style back to its true mid-century roots.
I worked with Nancy designing and laying out the tile backsplash, helping her choose the colors and turning the tiles on point for her backsplash design. Nancy designed the rest of the kitchen with the help of her contractor Casey Miller.
- Tiles — B&W Tile, sold through Clay Squared
- Contractor — Wm Casey Miller from Cut Nail LLC.
- Hardware — Rejuvenation, Boomerang drawer pull in brushed chrome and Cabinet knob round dish, also in brushed chrome.
- Pendant over the kitchen sink — Vintage 1950s fixture from MidModMen
- Multi-faceted orb pendant — Vintage, ebay, also from the 50’s.
- Laminate countertops — Formica Charcoal Boomerang, matte finish. I believe it is widely available at many places. It was cut and installed by Ray from Andover Counter Tops, LLC.
- Cabinets –The maple fronts and trim were custom made by Tim Gramlund of Prairie Woodworking. The insides and hardware are Ikea.
- Custom range hood — Designed by Jack Becker and fabricated by Charlie Parent and Hans Early-Nelson. Hans’s business is called Primitive Precision. Charlie works for Hans.
- Range hood powder coating — Powder Coating Technologies in Plymouth, MN.
- Flooring — Marmoleum Fresco in Red Copper purchased from Natural Built Home. The floor also featured yellow diamonds that emulated the tile backsplash, Josh said.
- Kitchen design — by homeowner Nancy with assistance from Wm Casey Miller.
Mega thanks to Josh for sending us this story, including the list of resources!