P

Paint your garage door, 50s retro renovation style

vintage 1955 garage doors ror ranch homes and colonial homes

vintage 1955 garage doors ror ranch homes and colonial homesThe winter is starting to feel like it will never end, here in western Massachusetts. I am not complaining – it’s very pretty, and the rush of spring is like no other. Even so, it feels like time for a BLAST OF COLOR from the 50s. How exuberant are these 1955 Crawford garage doors? To be sure, by ’55 a family’s car was nearly as important as their house, it seems. So following that logic, why wouldn’t their garage door deserve the royal treatment, too?

Click thumbnail and it will enlarge on screen.

SeeAllOurVintageCatalogsSMALL

1. 50sPam says:

Some of the doors are simply about paint – starting with a paneled wood garage door. Others….well, it’s on my list to do more research!

2. sharkeysday says:

What fabulous doors! I wonder if there’s anyway to find those anymore? Wouldn’t they be great in a snowy area?

AND THE CAR! Yummy!

3. Femme1 says:

Pam,
    You’ve inspired me to do something nifty like this with my garage door. I also might repeat the design on my front door. It has square panels with a circular accent in the center of each panel. Thanks! (Too bad it’s -5 degrees here on this sunny Sunday, or I’d get out there and start painting today.)

4. Sumac Sue says:

How timely — I just heard a commercial this week for a local garage door company, pointing out that the garage door is often the biggest feature on the front of a house, yet something that people usually overlook in their decorating. Our garage door is white, just like the rest of the house trim — pretty bland. We definitely need some color.

5. moddog70 says:

So cool. Makes me wonder what happen to the design world after the 70s? everything now tends to be so boreing and bland, thanks for the great the great pics.

6. Femme1 says:

OK, I wasn’t sure where to post this, but I wanted to ask for some advice about exterior design, specifically fence design. We need to replace the privacy fence that surrounds our house. (We’re on a very busy corner, and I really like both the fence as a barrier to sights AND sounds.) The current fence is a natural cedar board-on-board style (looks good from both sides).

Our house is a low ranch with extended overhanging eaves. I’ve landscaped the front with a slightly Japanese flavor and would like the fence to “go” with that, although I don’t think a bamboo fence would hold up too long in Indiana.

I’m leaning toward a basketweave style and remember seeing that in my youth, probably more in the 60s, though.

Any advice?

7. monica says:

ive now been inspired to paint my garage door, another project, thanks alot,. the only problem would be the door has been replaced with a metal door would that look weird?

8. jessica says:

I designed an 8ft wooden fence that my husband built last summer, and it turned out fabulous. It consists of a series of wooden posts with horizontal beams staggered on both sides, so that our neighbors have an equally nice view. We considered a “basket weave”, but decided that we wanted the design we chose instead. It could easily be done by weaving the boards. Good luck!

9. Femme1 says:

I’d love to see as photo, Jessica. We’re having the fence done this summer, and although I’ve gotten an estimate for the basketweave fence, I’m still not sure if I’m going to go with that.

10. Ronn says:

Hi,

Since my wife and I have a ’58 design split level, half in red brick and half in wood, I repainted the house-body wood pale aqua, but the garage door white (like all the trim work), and hung aqua fabric inside the garage door windows. This way I can, should I ever choose to do so, change the color of the windows themselves.

It’s an option. Some of those doors are sort of cool, some are just insane!

Ronn at FUTURES Antiques