W

Where to find vintage kitchen cabinet pulls – from Youngstown, Geneva and other makers?

youngstown-cabinet-handles

Readers are constantly sending emails asking where to find cabinet pulls for vintage kitchen cabinets made by Youngstown, Geneva, and other makers. The answer: Not an easy one, I am afraid.

For example, the chevrons aka boomerangs above, on 2-3/4″ centers, are classic early Youngstowns. The Geneva’s that are most problematic are the kind with the recessed, plastic backplate.

The vintage Youngstowns CAN be found – but you are going to have to hunt and peck and search and wait.

• Watch ebay like a hawk – they DO come up
  • Try sites like historichouseparts.com (I helped a reader find some there just last year – they are still shown under “Jamestown” cabinets – a seller of Youngstowns, I believe)
  • Liz’s Antique Hardware
  • Rejuvenation for new reproductions
  • Crown City Hardware for new reproductions

geneva-kitchen-cabinets-blossom-pink

The Geneva backplate issue has been a difficult one for years, again as far as I know. I started hunting for my steel cabinets about 7 years ago. I constantly saw this question asked on forums. I know of no source for them.

Meanwhile: Be sure to see my Category called “Cabinet Hardware” for replacement choices.

1. Diana says:

Hello, I have just purchased a nice set of Geneva cabinets in Pink. One of the cabinets have unusual holes (top and bottom) where I am to imagine that there may have been dowels running vertically to divide the cabinet for cookie sheets?? Another has two sides that look like there was perhaps a sliding shallow drawer (pots) I have exhausted the internet trying to find any information on Geneva cabinets and what the options may have been. I can’t even find an age for them. There is a model number on the sink cabinet. Does anyone have any information or an old copy of the Geneva options for cabinetry? Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

2. Jill Wilson says:

Looking for replacement latches for my St. Charles kitchen cabinets. I’ve found the pins on your site but I need the plastic part that goes into the cabinet door and clamps around the metal pin that protrudes from the cabinet. Any leads from anyone would be appreciated.

1. Mary oliver says:

Did u ever find these? I need 3 like that one is on door with protruding pin then it locks into cabinet. I really need the ones for cabinet and maybe my piece will fit in them thanks

3. Diana says:

Hello, I have purchased a set of Geneva metal cabinets in the same color as the pink in your photo. I was wondering where I might find some literature on the interior of said cabinets. I have the mixer cabinet, with drawer, was there any particular item that “fit” this drawer? I also have a narrow bottom cabinet 12″ with odd metal piece on the top and bottom Im guessing its some sort of divider?? I would like to know what and where I can find inserts for these.

4. Lena Murray says:

I am looking for 4 pulls for a vintage Geneva Sink. The silver pull has a white plastic plate behind the metal pull. Would appreciate some information as to sources.

Lena Murray

5. Christine says:

What is the difference between st charles, geneva and youngstown metal cabinets? I have metal cabinets but the old owners took off door and had laminate front put on. I would like to find old doors but want to make sure of the model. Any help would be appreciated. They have adjustable wire shelves on top if this helps.

1. Taylor Maine says:

If someone has the plastic piece to donate, it would be fairly simple to 3D scan it and 3D print a few to test fit. I don’t have a scanner, but I know if you 3D printed that part it should cost under $1/ea for materials. If it was printed with ABS plastic, you could get a nice surface finish with an acetone vapor bath.

Once the 3D file is made and fit verified, it could also get milled out of wood or aluminum for a different look. It seems like rebuilding the part would be the most time-efficient way to get the look you want.

Find a hackerspace or community workshop near you and see if they can scan/print something for you.

6. Frank says:

I am looking for a drawer for my Vintage Youngstown Kitchen cabinet under my sink. The size is approximately 21x 6 1/2x 20deep. I hope you can point me in the right direction. Thank you in advance..

7. KB says:

I have a youngstown kitchen cabinets that are starting to show their age. I have two upper doors that keep falling off do to use. How can I fix them?

1. Pam Kueber says:

Hi KB, I am not an expert on this. I think that in some readers try to find salvage cabinets and steal parts from them…

1. Pam Kueber says:

Hi Matt, I don’t know the answer to this question. The company was in business for a long time so it’s conceivable the design changed over time.