1953-daystrom-dinette

A kitchen island can be fantastic, for seating and especially for expanding useful prep space. But in my mind, there is nothin’ more cozy, comfy, homey than a kitchen table set close at hand. There’s just something… egalitarian and *grounded*… about sitting together around that most basic piece of furniture. Mid-century America was boom times for kitchen dinettes. It seems there were a gazillion possibilities to love — and in my mind, the quirkier, the better. I’ve been grabbing screenshots from ebay for the past several months, now collected into a gallery of 46 examples.

In my 1963 aquamarine kitchen, we have the Crate & Barrel Saarinen tulip table knock-off. It’s everyone’s favorite place, and I can’t imagine the room without it. The chairs, which I bought from a place selling replicas via ebay, are not holding up well, by the way. I recommend: Hold out for something built in the period — if it’s lasted this long, it’ll last through your family, too. And it is SO FUN to search.

The kitchen table: Humble, like our houses. Do you have a wonderful dinette? I’d love to see it and share it with other readers. Email me photos at: retrorenovation [at] gmail [dot] com.

Note: Click on the first image — it will enlarge — and then you can use the arrows to proceed through the slide show. Enjoy!

1. Becky says:

I just crawled around in the dog hair and found it on the bottom: ARVIN! 🙂 I’ll be sure and send pics once the seats are recovered. I’ve never seen table legs done quite like this…

2. erin says:

I have almost exact to # 8 except chairs are black, and I would love to get it to someone that would appreciate

3. joyces jane says:

Funny how when u are just relaxing and browsing, after decades of wondering what the perfect room divider/ storage cabinet would look like, you find it and cry out into the dark and lonely night, “Eureka, I have searched far and wide and here, in your simple splendor, you present yourself like a wise pearl from the deep”
    Perfection is always simple and unencumbered.

4. pam kueber says:

if you are patient and humble, the retro decorating gods will send you what you need, all in good time…

5. Sara stidham says:

I just bought a dining set today and I’ve been searching all day for a similar one. and finally i found it, Do you know the brand name of the black and white set you have pictured?

6. Lori says:

How do I find out when and who made my old table? I have no clue and need some expert help. All searches for anything similar have come up empty.