M

Miniature schnauzer Astro says, “Love the House You’re In”

While I’m away speaking at the Southern Spring Home & Garden Show, I won’t be posting. Expect me back online Sunday, March 7. Meanwhile: Astro the wonder dog is taking care of the house and keeping DH company. And, courtesy Mel Kolstad and her wondeful monthly collage Astro reminds us all to: Love the House You’re In. Last week a reader over on the Facebook Fan page also chimed in, “Happiness is wanting what you have.” Yes, that about sums it up. Woof woof.

1. Linda Blackmore says:

I am so glad you did this post. I live in my childhood home. It’s not in a very good neighborhood, but it is paid for, so no payment. I have wanted to move for years. I don’t see it happening as prices are so low here.
    So, in the last week I’ve resigned myself to get busy and make this a neat place to be. I have all kinds of good stuff, so I’m getting busy! I wish I had a MCM, but I have what I have, and I like Shabby Chic and Cottage, so I’m heading in that direction again.
    Thanks so much for the added encouragement!! I needed it!!

2. Jeanne says:

Good luck! We’re going to have a bunch of blog newcomers after your talks. We’ll have the “Welcome” doormat out. 🙂

3. Dix says:

We love our house.

My parents were cutting-edge stylish in the Seventies, but the house they’ve had for the past 20 years is an early-1970’s English Tudor, and their Seventies Modern furniture has gradually been replaced with dark wood antiques. It’s absolutely not fashionable but it suits the house–which is hardly authentic but is still Tudor enough inside that it looked really weird with Modern furniture–and it suits them. It’s also given them incentive to have the few family pieces they have, most of which are late Victorian, repaired and cleaned up, and to frame and hang various pieces of family artwork. A more modern house wouldn’t tolerate that kind of dark, slightly cluttered, look, but since the house, even though it’s not old, has a bit of an old feel, it works just fine.

4. Retro Junkie says:

Mary Engelbriet says “bloom where you are planted”. Which goes perfectly with “love the house you’re in”. We just finished moving, and I can tell ya, it ain’t no fun!! We bought a little (1053 sq. ft.) ranch so we can retire earlier, and have a little fun to boot. So we will fix up our little ranc and be happy with what we have.

5. gavin hastings says:

Can I live without a daily dose of RetroRenovation? Maybe I could schedule some sort of major surgery on Thursday.

I guess I will never find Hapiness…I want what everybody else has; only better.

Have a wonderful time!

6. gavin hastings says:

Part II
    Actually, I love my house…but I will love it alot more when it is finished.

Which brings to mind another topic- When are these houses going to be finished?

7. Annie B. says:

I’m really struck by the reader’s statement: “Happiness is wanting what you have”. Think of all the peace of mind and enjoyment inherent in those few words.

8. MrsErinD says:

Awww sweet Astro! Have a great time at the show Pam, wish I could be there!

I was going to ask where the kitties were in that pic, but I know, the kitties of course wouldn’t be out running etc, they are Sleeeeeping on the bed or couch of course, let the dogs do all the work, lol. :O)

9. RetroSandie says:

Pam, the best of luck at your talks at the show! Can’t wait to see what you have for us when you return home! I’ll bet Astro’s tail is thumping when you walk in the door!! 🙂

10. nina462 says:

good luck on your speech! I just mentioned your website to a readers questions on another website…she doesn’t like her pink bathroom (1962)…..I told her to SAVE THE PINK BATHROOM, and directed her to view this website.
    Once again, good luck, you’ll do wonderful.

11. Marta says:

Astro is such a handsome little guy. There’s something about the wire-haired terrier/schnauzer face that always makes me smile. Oh-so-dignified on one hand, and party-’til-you-drop on the other.

Since he’s a smaller fellow, you might try putting him on a harness to walk him rather than attaching the leash to his collar. Properly fitted, it’s more secure and doesn’t put stress on the neck. You’ll have better, gentler, control if he tries to bolt when scared—or when he sees a squirrel once he’s more confident. Added benefit; the leash is always on top with a harness, so it never gets peed on, lol.

The one thing I can’t urge strongly enough for any dog (or cat) owner is to give your pet a high-quality food that contains absolutely no soy or corn protein. Both are major endocrine disruptors that corrupt the immune systems of mammals. Better food costs more, but saves you a ton on vet bills.

On the subject of loving the house you’re in, Astro is a huge plus for you ’cause he hardly sheds. Our border collie and his maine coon buddy have this place looking like floor-to-ceiling black and white 70’s shag. Other people rave about spring, but all I think of are blown coats and mud. Sigh. I guess I’ll go love my house by cleaning out the central vac.