2 places to buy black and white checkerboard floor tile – in resilient vinyl sheet

black and white checkerboard flooringIf you are designing a diner style retro kitchen, laundry room or even basement, you might want to consider this black-and-white floor tile in resilient sheet vinyl from Mannington, Armstrong, or Tarkett. Above: Armstrong.

In my experience, sheet vinyl is low cost and super easy to keep clean.  9″ squares, if you can find them, would have been the size typically used in mid century homes. 12″ squares are more common today. And Armstrong has both solid and marbleized squares to choose from. You also can achieve the black and white checkerboard look using 12″ x 12″ VCT tiles, which are going to require regular polishing and buffing… in lineoleum from Forbo/Marmoleum or Armstrong… or by using ceramic tile, which will be harder under foot.

Click the following links to get the manufacturers who make these patterns:

CategoriesFlooring
  1. mary wellman says:

I am looking for large retro black and white laminate flooring for my farmhouse I want to do my dining area my kitchen and my bathroom in this design. need help locating

Thankyou, Mary Margaret Wellman RN MI

2. pam kueber says:

Mary, we don’t sell anything here. You need to refer to the sources listed in the story. Note, I do not write about laminate flooring, it’s not a vintage style material.

3. Carol says:

Mary,
    You might want to try VCT black and white — it’s very inexpensive, easy to DIY, retro, and many places stock it. We put it in our forties cottage kitchen and love it.

4. Elena Werner says:

Hi,
    Does anyone know of a navy blue and white checkerboard vinyl sheet or vinyl tile option? I know that Armstrong and Mannington have black and white, but I’m not finding much in blue and white.
    Thanks.

5. Sharon says:

I have been looking for the black and white checkerboard sheet lineoleum for a very long time. I live in Colorado Springs, Colorado and do not know where to look for it. Can somebody tell me where I can get it in my area. I don’t want the tiles. Can you also get me the cost ? I don’t want the kind that you have to polish. Just plain balck and white smooth.
    Thank you !

6. pam kueber says:

We do not sell anything here, Sharon. Refer to the companies profiled in the story – I am sure you should be able to ask them about local distributors. Or, take the list to your local flooring company and have them help you get one of these. They will also tell you the cost.

Click on the links — the are in bright blue!

7. Sandra says:

Hi, I am wondering if the Mannington is true white or is it off white? We are too, in search of replacing the flooring in my Moms kitchen. Her checkered pattern is worn and looking to replace with a higher quality product. Her cabinets are white so must be a true white

8. Bill says:

I am looking for 18 x 18 peel and stick black and white tiles. Please note that each 18 inch tile has four 9 x 9 black and white squares.
    I did a very small apartment kitchen many years ago and it looks great. Ran them at a 45° and with each color tile only being 9 inches makes that small space seem large.
    However I need to replace from of the tiles by the door and I can’t find them. Please help!

9. Donna says:

Had my kitchen done in Black and White Check by Mannington, Checkpoint. I love it but it is a sheet vinyl and now that the bubbles and seams are showing the installer told me they ALL do this!!!.
    He is ripping up the floor I paid $2,000 for and going to replace it. He said if its sheet goods it will show every crack and granny in the floor so I’m on the search for tiles. Having trouble finding white white, but can find black in marmoleum. Any suggestions?

10. pam kueber says:

Go to the Commercial section of companies’ websites. See our Kitchen Help / Flooring page for our research. I recall I recently did a story on all the companies we could find that offer resilient tiles.