red and white checkerboard floorHere is a flooring question that keeps coming up:

Where can I buy a red-and-white checkerboard floor?

While I know of at least three suppliers of black-and-white checkerboard flooring that comes in big, wide one-piece vinyl sheets, the only way I know to do red-and-white checkerboard is to use individual tiles. In the photo above, reader Donna used Marmoleum tile — linoleum — to create the red-and-white checker board kitchen floor in her delightful 1965 kitchen. She edged it in charcoal linoleum. A second choice for resilient squares is vinyl composite tile from places like Armstrong — a very inexpensive solution. And, you have actual ceramic tile, arranged in checkerboards, as an option, too. One of the advantages of the black-and-white checkerboards on wide vinyl sheets is that, among the options, there are a variety of different sized squares. With the linoleum or vinyl tiles required for red-and-white, you are limited to 12″ squares, as far as I know. Back in the day, linoleum and vinyl squares were most often 9″, as far as I know. You can get this look for resilient tiles — but talk about work, I think you have to buy sheet flooring, then take it to a special water-cutting company to have it cut neatly into smaller squares.

CategoriesFlooring
  1. Simon says:

I wish to buy some of your red and white cheaquered flooring i need 5 mtr in length and 2mtr wide can you give me a quote plz

1. Pam Kueber says:

Hi Simon, I don’t sell anything. Refer to the companies listed. Usually there are hotlinks to their sites, in blue.

2. Sandy says:

Looking for the red and white,can’t seem to find it trying to put 1940 Bungalow as it might have looked then.I would settle for the red with different colored splatters or with just the white splattered.I would love the floor to be shiny and most of the tiles are a matte finish.Do you think I am asking for to much.

3. Laura says:

doing a retro flip house.
    vct too labor intensive and was thinking gray and white vinyl sheet instead of black and white . a little softer i thought.
    cant find it anywhere!
    I think manufactures should make the sheet vinyl in red, green, gray ect…. they are missing out on a whole catagory of people who
    dont want stone/ everything!!

anyone seen colored check vinyl besides black???

4. Donna says:

Be careful if you are going the vinyl sheet route. I just finished my new kitchen done in sage green and black and white check. My vinyl SHEET flooring is now rippling up and showing seams of the subfloor below. The installer said that the vinyl sheet goods will do that on any floor. Kinda sounds like a “SPIN” to me. He wants me to change my floor pattern and that will ruin my whole kitchen. I’m not researching where to get black and white check tiles instead of sheet goods. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!

1. pam kueber says:

I am not an expert on this. Perhaps it would be wise for you to talk to another installer; seems like “subfloor preparation” is crucial. I tend to think there are products to help with this…

1. pam kueber says:

janet, we do not sell anything here. refer to the sources profiled in the story and also check the comments – readers made suggestions

5. Deziree says:

I was going to go with a green and cream checkerboard in my kitchen but at the last minute went with a black and off white. since my walls are yellow, it just looked cleaner. Anyway, I found mine through home depot. You have to special order them but they had a couple of really pretty sagey green colors, my problem is that I didn’t want the cream to come off as “flesh” tone and I couldn’t find a cream that didn’t appear that way to me. I ended up with black and mint masquerade vinyl composite tiles which looks almost creamy but not fleshy in the least bit. I am SO happy with it. We ended up doing about 180 sq ft in our kitchen and spent about $300 for everything. Very happy I went this route!! Good luck!

6. Connie Evans says:

Can you help me with locating vinyl flooring green and white checker board! I’ve found a ton of black/white!
    Thank….deparatlly looking!

1. pam kueber says:

I don’t know of a sheet flooring with this pattern. However, you could make it with 12″ squares of either VCT or linoleum. Good luck.

7. teardown townie says:

I just came across this red and white checkerboard sheet vinyl:

Almeria 515
    Bubblegum and Liquorice Collection
    Avenue of Styles
    IVC Group

Click on “complete collection”

Looks like it’s only available in the UK , though. I wonder if there would be a way to get it here?

Comments are closed.