M

Mid century modern sofas, sectionals and chairs — Made in the U.S.A. by Younger Furniture

mid-century-style-sofa-and-loveseat-younger-furnitureIn yesterday’s story about Dave and Kristin’s fabulous mid-century living room, we got our first peek at some mid-century modern style sofa and chairs from Younger Furniture. Dave also mentioned this furniture was made in the U.S. — a big “want” of many readers. So, I jumped online to take a look at the whole line of furniture — and it looks great. Above: The ala Dick van Dyke line, just recently introduced.  tufted-single-back-sofa-younger-furniture

There is a good selection of mid-century modern styles — with a variety of backs, arms and seat cushion variations to choose from. Importantly: The scale appears to be right! Look at the measurements for each piece — they are not oversized… no 40″ seats or backs. They are long and low and compact — just like our mid century jewel box houses.

There are sectionals.

mad-men-sofa-with-chaise-younger-furniture

The “lounge” seems to be a de rigeur design feature, these days.

mid century modern chair

And chairs. Lots to choose from, actually.

small upholstered barrel chairI really quite like little upholstered pieces like this. Reminds me of my orange chairs:

1960s orange chairs

club chair

I especially really like this cute little club chair, with rolled arms, pleated skirt and soft cushion back. It’s waaaay mid-century – modest — not modern!

tufted headboard

And upholstered headboards.

The Younger Furniture website describes the company, saying: “After working in the furniture industry for 20 years, Mike Younger founded Younger Furniture in 1989. Since the day Mike opened the doors, Younger has been commited to making high quality custom furniture from start to finish in North Carolina. Younger is dedicated to creating style, quality and comfort in the form of furniture.” No prices are listed online — but there is good navigation that gets you right to retailers in your area. Here’s the link: Mid century modern upholstered furniture from Younger Furniture.

Categoriesbedroom furniture
  1. John says:

Hi Pam,

Great source for American made furniture like in the old days. Danco in W.Hatfield and Crown Contemporary in West Springfield carry Younger. Danco has several sofa’s on their website from Younger. One runs $1000.00 and another starts at around $1,200.00. Not outrageous by any means. Danco uses style numbers rather than names so not sure which ones they were featuring.

John

1. pam kueber says:

yes, aren’t they? The ones in the lead photo — I don’t know if I’ve seen anyone else Today making anything quite like them. That said, there are a lot of furniture makers….

2. Trouble aka Shane says:

….as long as these aren’t like the Macy’s couches where the cusions break down, I’ll bite! These are great!

1. Lynn-O-Matic says:

Shane, is that a specific model, like the Corona, or just Macy’s in general? I’ve been coveting some pieces from their Astro line. I’d prefer upholstery to leather, but they are amazingly comfortable and I’m told the leather will hold up longer, so I may go for it. But we no longer have a Macy’s in town, so I don’t want to ship stuff here that is not going to last. Anyone have any experience with the Astro line?

1. Jeanne says:

I don’t know about the styles you mentioned, but I’ve had the Milano leather sectional from Macy’s for over a year now, and am very happy with it and have had no problems.

1. Joseph says:

Re: the Milano sectional from Macy’s – we bought ours in 2010, and the cushions started breaking down after a year of regular use. My partner and I are not “big” guys, but the cheap polyfoam cushions cannot take regular use. Worse, they can’t be removed or flipped over (or replaced), giving the whole couch a much shorter lifespan than what I would have wanted for the $1800 we spent on it.

The next couch we get will be made in America & have removable cushions.

2. Dave says:

Hey Lynn,

I’ve had the Corona sofa for a year now. It’s held up fairly well, but the cushions do show some sign of wear. Still it’s in better shape than my mother’s sofa. Off hand I don’t remember the manufacturer, but within 6 months, it looks like the like she’s had it for 6 years. The cushions totally gave out on her, and she spent about 700 dollars more on her sofa.

1. Dave says:

I should add that it’s sat on quite a bit. I’m home all day, so it does get a lot of use. The upholstery is still in very good shape.

3. Lynn-O-Matic says:

The Astro line from Macy’s looks like it came straight out of the Jetsons’ living room, if the Jetsons had Italian leather furniture. Or that it should furnish the lounge on top of the Space Needle. Very playful and fun, but classy, and supremely comfortable. Look it up on the Macy’s site if that’s a look anyone is going for.

4. Shane Walp says:

Oh yeah – the Corona…it’s really a great design, but the good reviews are usually by people who just get them home and are excited. People who have had them a year complain that the cushions flip up when you sit, and the whole thing flattens out and/or breaks down after a year. 🙁
        the only thing in my LR not vintage is the couch, bc the kids jump all over it, the dogs lay on it (and aren’t allowed), I sleep on it occasionally, etc….so I didn’t want something sweet to be destroyed after lasting so many years!

1. gsciencechick says:

That’s too bad about the Corona. I’ve been wanting to wait for either that or the Chloe. I may need to check out Younger since they are NC based and there are several retailers near me. But if I’m getting a sofa, I want one that will last. The one I bought straight out of grad school has been here longer than I ever envisioned (now with a slipcover), but the cushions have held up very well.

3. Tikimama says:

Thanks for another great resource, Dave, Kristin and Pam! I’ll be recommending this company to my brother and sister-in-law, since they live in San Diego in a mid-century home, and there is a retailer near them.

4. Lydia says:

I know it’s not made in the US, but the Ikea Ektorp Jennylund chair is very similar to the club chair (although it doesn’t have a separate cushion back). It has removable slipcovers to change the look (many of the discontinued fabrics are on ebay) and it’s a great scale for the small living room in my 1941 Cape.