1950s cowboy basement bar — from a house where $45,000 was discovered in the attic — Yeehaw!

vinyl cowboy bar in the basementcowboy theme formica laminateRetro goodness is indeed bountiful in Bountiful, Utah. Reader vintigchik gets snaps for spotting this cowboy themed basement bar for sale and emailing me about it. I reached out to the seller — and in our exchange, he mentioned how this 1950s house had held another treasure: $45,000, which he found in the garage attic right after he bought the house — and which he promptly returned to the original owners’ heirs. Yowza. Is there anything else we really need to know than: Do Unto Others as You Would Have Them Do Unto You.

cowboy-bar-in-the-basement

Here are the Cowboy Chronicles. First, vintigchik writes:
Pam, Just a quick note to send you the link to this awesome bar I found for sale out here in Utah…. The owner has the good sense that this is unique and should be saved! I also emailed the seller with info about your blog in hopes they’ll send you pics before the rip out all of this 50’s greatness. Enjoy! -vintigchik
cowboy theme countertopThen I called Josh Ferrin, the owner of the cowboy bar for sale, and he emailed me back right away:
Hey! Just got your message about our cowboy bar.
We’d love to have you blog about it.  Do you need larger pictures? Also, you might have heard of this house before.  See here. So excited!  Thanks!

Now, first: No one will be permitted to get into a Comment tizzy because Josh is selling this set. He totally appreciates the set, and says there is plenty of other retroliciousness going on in the new/old house. This just doesn’t fit their vision. So — he’s putting it out there into the retro universe.

Moreover, this a family that discovered $45,000 in the garage attic when they bought their house — and then promptly returned the money to the heirs of the owner <—[be sure to read this story] from whom they had just bought it. These folks are putting out seriously good karma!

One more link: Josh is a professional illustrator and designer. His etsy story is Ginormous Robot.

Do you want to buy the cowboy bar? –> Contact Josh via the classified listing here. ‘Tis $350. I’ll also archive the text, for posterity:

Antique 1950’s cowboy bar. Large, retro and unafraid of its western roots.

Bountiful, UT    –   Aug 4, 2011:

This has got to be one of a kind.So, I just bought a house built in the 1950’s and this is in the living room downstairs. It doesn’t quite fit with our vision of the house. But it is so unique I had to find a home for it.This bar is in pristine condition — the varnish top is still shiny and smooth. The bartop features a fantastic retro country pattern with cow skulls and brands. There’s a second shelf on the interior of the bar with the same pattern as the bartop.

One end of the bar attaches to the wall and rotates upward to allow you, in your cowboy regalia to go behind and serve up brewskies, ice-cream or whatever you and your posse are hankering for.

The faux-leather front is accented with similar patterns and a giant horsehead.

The bartop has been partially disassembled for easy transport but the base is still attached to the floor. So, bring a truck (it’s at least 8-feet long), a friend, (solid wood, my friends) and a prybar (still attached to the floor with a few nails).

This is something of a wonder. Take care of this beauty, she could be the last of her kind.

Also included, a pair of antique saloon doors that match the bar.

Thank you, vintigchik! Thank you, Ferrins!

1. Nancy says:

WOW!!! I had heard the story about the money on TV. A cool surprise in the attic *and* in the basement! What a unique bar! The room divider is great, too. Very mid-century and looks rather easy to build yourself.

2. Puddletown Cheryl says:

With all the horrible financial news out there, it’s really perked me up to remember that even though we may not be able to control what’s happening, we do have a choice in how we respond to it.

Thanks Josh.

3. Amy Hill says:

Giddyup! I hope that girl who never turns down free taxidermy spots this! It would make an awesome addition to her collection.
    It looks like it wouldn’t be very much to re-create. Genuine turquiose naughahide and large upholstery tacks and doubled up quilt batting!
    What a nice thing you did for the heirs of the original owner. Thank you!

4. Jeanne says:

I remember reading that story! It’s great to read positive stories in the news and that one definitely made an impression on me.

That cowboy bar is definitely a one-of-a-kind keeper for someone! And I love the color mix of the floor. That light turquoise color really pops.

Thanks Josh!

5. Jenny says:

I remember reading that story! How awesome is that? The Ferrins have some good karma coming their way, for sure. That cowboy bar is pretty awesome, too. I hope it finds a good home.

6. Oh my stars! That bar! If I lived close to them, I’d have that thing on the way to my house right now! : ) Soooooo cool.

And three cheers for their honesty with that money!

7. vintigchik says:

Pam, I remember that story too but had no idea it was the same family. I was wondering what type of wood you thought the walls were. Is this just a nicer plywood?? If so, that would be so easy to do even today. I guess readily available materials still rings true. Also did anyone notice the beautiful VCT floors? I just love this color combo. It would look fantastic in a turquoise kitchen: either steel cabinets or ranch 🙂 I’m glad this story made the blog. Even on a bad day, I can look forward to a little bit of fun and happiness on your blog. Thanks Pam for keeping these wonderful items “alive”. And thanks Josh for sharing!!