vintage stoveStove: From Dream Stoves

I have been blogging about midcentury home design since 2006, but my very first piece of published writing about home design in 1995 — an article about vintage stoves for the now-defunct Ann Arbor News. Vintage stoves were first becoming popular around then. I have been a fan ever since and today, have a circa-1959 GE Pushbutton electric in my kitchen. When we did a story a while ago about where to get your vintage appliances fixed, a number of readers had suggestions and experiences to share about vintage stove restoration experts. Karl T. also suggested suppliers. I did some additional research and came up with an expanded list — and readers continue to more in their comments, below, be sure to read them — and we now have 12 13 14 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  28 places to get your vintage stove restored… to buy a restored vintage stove… and to find parts and service for vintage stoves:

Note, before you buy, understand what you are paying for — this includes consulting with a properly licensed professional to assess the stove for environmental and safety issues. Be Safe / Renovate Safe — for more info see our Be Safe/Renovate Safe page

Restored vintage stoves — West and Southwest

Restored vintage stoves — Midwest

Vintage stove restoration — Southeast

Vintage stove restoration — East Coast

Note: Thanks so many readers for the contributions to build this list — keep ’em coming. Also, thanks to Todd at chambers.net for a number of these leads. This seems to be the go-to place for Chambers’ info!

Please know: I do not have personal experience with these resources, so I am not endorsing them…. Please make sure that you do your own research to verify that you are working with safe, experienced, properly licensed professionals with a proven reputation. And, as Lara Jane commented in the original story:

To follow up on Pam’s post, I know a lot of people on other home improvement sites were scammed by a guy restoring vintage stoves (some they’d sent to him, some were advertised on his site). Be careful who you give your money to, and if possible, use a credit card with buyer protection!

Yes, as with any purchase of this magnitude — please do due diligence regarding the companies you are engaging with.

Other stories of interest:

1. Dorothy Conte says:

Hi. I have a beautiful 1950(s?) Stove I cannot use. It was in a home I purchased. What is the best outlet to sell it? It works perfectly!
    It’s a 6 burner. 39″ long with 2 full ovens and 2 broilers that look like wings on the bottom. I appreciate your help. Thanks

1. Lisa says:

I have a Wedgewood stove just like this! I am also wondering how to sell it when I move. It is the only stove that I have used for 30 years and I love it, but lots of people want modern stoves rather than this one. Thanks for the reply on how to sell or repair this stove in New Hampshire! Lisa

2. JEANIENE BUTLER says:

RMR stove company out of San Diego CA. You cannot beat them on service, knowledge and price. Mike Kravcar one of the owners Is a dying breed when It comes to honesty and price. Their work Is phenomenal and It shows. If your in that area don’t miss out on this company and read what they have to offer.

1. Dorothy Kehres says:

I live near Seattle WA and am looking for an electric range with side by side double ovens and coil burners. The design of the new electric double oven ranges I’ve found ate problematic: the upper smaller oven can’t accommodate a normal sized pyrex with lid, and the bottom oven is so low that pulling a large roast or turkey out is hard to do without sloshing juices or burning one’s hand.

3. Carol says:

I have a Sears country kitchen electric range from 1969. Two of the burners do not work at all; one heats only hot; one is completely functional; the oven door does not shut tightly. It looks like a wood burning stove, black, with a warming oven and storage on the top. I would love to have it repaired. Do you have any suggestions for people in my area (near Akron,Ohio)? Thanks for any assistance.

1. Pam Kueber says:

Hi Carol, I haven’t updated this story in a while, don’t know if there are any more companies closer to you that might specialize in repairing vintage stoves… you may need to take it a distance to get it repaired properly….

Here’s another story with some resources to check, for example, the Old Appliance Club might be able to help or point you >> https://retrorenovation.com/2011/08/29/parts-service-and-advice-to-fix-old-stoves-and-other-vintage-appliances-a-list-of-9-online-resources/

Good luck!

Good luck.

4. Ann Clark says:

Do you happen to have the cutout dimensions for a Harvest gold p/7
    General Electric wall oven and the cutout dimensions for a GE
    Harvest Gold push button drop in cooktop?

5. Ritchie E says:

I own a Roper stove with grill and boiler. It came with my house when I bought it 10 years ago. It’s like a 1950 model. Where can I sell it or refurbish it ? I am in NJ area.

1. pam kueber says:

Hi Ritchie, the list of companies in this story specialize in refurbishing old stoves. Their websites are usually linked, in blue. They might also be interested in buying your old stove – give them a try. Other than that, if you want to sell it, typical go-to places including craigslist, facebook marketplace, ebay, etc. Good luck.

6. Lyn says:

I have an antique vintage part electric part wood or coal burning stove made by hotpoint and GE electric. I believe the model number is RA 28 and was nade around the 1930’s. There was a 1935 GE catalog of automatic electric stoves that it was listed in and it was called the Homestead. Can you tell me how to find information or a contact to help me locate the catalog or other information.

7. Roselyn St. Pierre says:

I would like to find some Harvest Gold touch-up paint for my gas stove. Can you suggest where I can purchase just a small tube of touchup paint.
    Thanks