L

Laundry chute doors — 2 places to buy them, in powder-coated metal

Ha! Here is an obscure product you bet you didn’t even know you wanted – but now you do – and now you know where to get: A laundry chute door.

laundry chute

And here’s another one — designed and manufactured by Air Rite Service Supply in Lakewood, Ohio, USA. It’s also powder-coated metal.

Laundry chute door from American Metal Products

And the one above: Alas, discontinued: It’s available from American Metal Products / Lima Register … made of powder-coated steel … comes in 10″ or 12″ widths … and includes “spring-hinged, push-in laundry chute door with inner rubber guards for quiet closing.”

Consult with a licensed professional / check local building codes before installing, or if you have one — a reader has pointed out that in some communities, laundry chutes are considered a fire hazard.

Do we all have laundry chute stories?
“I certainly remember my first one,”
she says longingly, as if recalling a childhood sweetheart.

Here’s Ann-Marie’s:

…I do have a laundry chute story from my childhood. My sisters and I were always forgetting our keys to get in to the house after school, but we could usually borrow the spare key from the neighbor.

One day, we realized we had forgotten to return Mrs. Neighbor’s key. We puzzled and puzzled over how to get into the house without a key.
Finally, being the resourceful little schemers that we were, we figured out that my sister Lisa was probably skinny enough to go up the laundry chute (a cut out in the bathroom cupboard, with a tube like protrusion hanging from the basement rafters).

The basement was accessible from the garage, which we were able to get into, because the garage door did not lock.

We pulled an act worthy of a circus, with me standing on a box, Ginny on my shoulders, and we crammed Lisa into the chute.

Of course she got stuck, but Ginny and I didn’t care. What is the life of one little sister worth when you are missing the afternoon’s episode of original “Star Trek” rerun? (Captain Kirk was so dreamy.)

So we just twisted her and kept shoving until she popped through, and, the day was saved.

To this day, we cannot figure out why we got in so much trouble for that little escapade. My theory was that it scared my parents into seeing how easy it would be for bad guys to break into our house to steal all our stuff, of which I was sure we had plenty.

1. Ann-Marie Meyers says:

Yeah, and now I know why we got in trouble for sending Lisa up the chute. It had nothing to do with danger or anything like that. Mom says it was because we lost all common sense when it came to “Star Trek.”
    Sheesh. At least we didn’t leave Lisa stuck in the chute and go watch it at a friend’s house instead. We kept at it until she popped free.

2. Alice says:

We have a laundry shoot – there are three points of entry – one from an upstairs bath, an upstairs room and one from our coat closet near the kitchen. I absolutely love the convenience…the laundry drops into a bin down in the utility room where the washer and dryer are located. The only thing is that I haven’t found the little lady that should be down there washing everything as it magically gets dropped down the shoot and out of sight!

3. wendy says:

I love all of these stories. So many of the articles here bring back memories we hadn’t thought about in years. That’s what makes this site so much fun!

4. squiggles says:

My family’s 70’s house didn’t have so much of a laundry “chute” as a laundry “hole” — a hole in the cabinetry under the sink on the first floor, that, if one removed a ceiling tile in the basement, allowed one to toss laundry from the first floor to the second. As far as I can remember we never used it for laundry, and the ceiling tile remained in place. But as a ~12 year old I picked up what I thought was a fairly risque novel, and after reading it, had no idea where or how to dispose of it — so I tossed it into the hole. As far as I know, it’s still resting somewhere on top of the ceiling tiles of my parents’ basement.

5. Nancy Hesby says:

I was with a realtor looking at a 1930’s house from a prominent family still owned by the original owners. The 88 year old woman who lived there was moving out. The realtor showed us the top door for the laundry shoot on the second floor.

We then went to the basement, and she found the bottom of the chute, which also had a door. She pushed it open, and resting on the floor were two pairs of old lady panties, complete with ruffles, waiting to be washed!

6. Mark says:

Our grandmother had a laundry chute that fascinated my brother & I. We were constantly throwing toys & other items down it. Grandma was patient until we started peeing down it!!
    My partner & I will be installing one in our 1928 Bungalow. We are taking it down to the studs, so perfect time to do it!

7. Laura H. says:

I was born and raised in Lakewood, Ohio, so CLEARLY I need to support that business and have my dreamed of laundry chute installed.

8. holly says:

We have 2 doors to our chute. A chrome door (with broken spring) in our kitchen and a wooden door in the upstairs hallway. I LOVE the laundry chute! And we are in Cleveland, right next to Lakewood. I love finding local places that make these products. Thanks!

9. TODD says:

Hi Todd – I’m so sorry, but we stopped making laundry chute doors a few years ago.
    We never made them in a nickel finish.
    My suggestion would be to google them.
    So sorry.