1957 Sputnik house — midcentury modern time capsule house in Houston’s Glenbrook neighborhood

midcentury modern house in houston the sputnik house in glenbrook
Photos by TK Images Real Estate Photography

One guess why everyone calls this the ‘Sputnik House’. Yes, the original owner put that huge sputnik light in the entrance when the family moved in, in 1957, says real estate agent Robert Searcy. Robert has just listed this gorgeous mid century modern house in Houston’s Glenbrook neighborhood for sale. You may recall that Robert is the agent who sent us the photos of the Swankienda house. It’s right down the street from the Sputnik. Oh my, what a street! Thanks and link love to Robert Searcy and to TK Images for immediately supplying me with these photos to feature. We love our time capsule houses, yes we do. Although they make us all jealous because we do not all have rooflines that look like eagles ready to take flight, where we can hang fantastic sputnik lights.

Photos by TK Images Real Estate Photography

Here is what the listing says about this 2,334 s.f. house, which has three bedrooms, two baths and is listed for $192,500:

The Sputnik house, one of the Glenbrook historic districts most iconic homes. A stellar restored mid-century mod on a premier block with many upgrades yet original character intact. Original vintage tile baths & swank light fixtures. Mod doorplates & original hardware professionally polished. Study ith wall of storage, front living + open den/dining area w/vaulted beamed ceiling, poured terrazzo & fireplace.

And, sit back, here is the photo tour:

Photos by TK Images Real Estate Photography

And Robert sent me these from his cell phone:

The original owners had the groove thing going on, that’s for sure!
The original pink appliances were replaced but stored in the garage. If you want to have them repaired and reinstalled for a more vintage look, they can be conveyed with the property.

Gorgeous. Thank you again, Robert and TK Images, keep sending these my way, and we’ll show them to the appreciative mid mod world — including potential buyers, stat!

Repeating the link love:

1. Tara Pogue says:

Hi Anne,
    I’m sorry I haven’t responded sooner. My husband and I are the current owners of this house. We haven’t re-installed the pink appliances- my husband is dead set against it- but every once in a while I work on him hoping he’ll change his mind :). They’re beautiful and in amazing condition. If we don’t ever put them back in, we’ve decided to leave them for the next owner.
    Thanks and good luck with your search!!

Tara Pogue Donnelly

1. Anne Walker says:

I hear you Tara,
      Later is always better than never…thanks for the response. Keep plugging away, you never know. I think it very thoughtful of you to keep the appliances to see if the new occupants want them. Thanks for the well wishes & the best to you guys as well.

1. Tara Pogue says:

Beej – you know what? I totally agree. So I decided to get rid of the husband but keep the pink appliances! Win-win!! Restoring them will be ridiculously expensive, but I hope to do so one day!

1. Lee says:

Tara, I went to the estate sale at your home before you purchased it. I got two art panels that were in the dining area by the built in china cabinet. You can probably see the shadow where they were on the paneling unless you have refinished it. Anyway, I am going a different direction with my home and I no longer want the panels. Would you be interested in having them back for you home? I live in Garden Villas nearby. Please reply back and if you are interested we will figure out a way to get these to you. They are like fighting peacocks… Lots of blues like the light fixtures…

2. Anne Walker says:

BTW: I didn’t notice prior to seeing the article again today, that the 2 ovens pictured are different.

3. Anne Walker says:

I responded to this article in April and never got an answer to my question. I would be happy with the clock unit in the oven on the left to replace a broken one on 1 of my existing in use ovens. Not sure how the glass got cracked & the timer went whacko, but I am sure that finding a replacement is next to impossible. Next, of course, being securing the one on the oven door pictured. As is, we turn the circuit off in the basement when the oven is not in use so that the reoccurring buzzing noise from the timer won’t drive us crazy. The oven will surely be fired up this Thanksgiving…would be so-o-o nice to have a replacement by then. Plz, someone respond as to the possible availability. Thanks!

4. Anne Walker says:

Been trying to track down pink appliances. Can anybody tell me what happened to those pictured in the article?

Comments are closed.