A

A-frame putz house — downloadable pattern

retro-christmas-a-frame

Making my the first retro Christmas ranch was so much fun — why not design and make another house for the neighborhood? After contemplating several house styles, it came to me — what else says little mod house in the snowy woods like an A-frame? Using the same methods as the first retro Christmas ranch house, it wasn’t long before this cute little A-frame was built. Read on for more pics, and to download our free pattern to make this new design.

a-frame-cardboard-holiday-houseThis style is a bit more challenging than the first retro Christmas house because of the number of windows — you need to be very careful when you cut out the thin bits of cardboard between them and which also support the weight of the roof.

a-frame-christmas-houseTo finish the A-frame and add some design interest to the yard, a curved walkway and some bottle brush trees do the trick.

christmas-a-frame-cardboard-houseOne of the cool details of this house pattern is the way the peak of the roof overhangs more than the bottom — it adds some angular mid century flair.

A-frame-retro-christmas-house

back-of-A-frame-christmas-houseThe back of the house is mostly open to allow for the flameless tea light (battery operated) to go inside and light up the house. Precautionary Pam warns: Probably wise never to leave lighted decorations unattended.

two-retro-christmas-housesLooks like the beginning of a neighborhood to me.

retro-christmas-houses-on-mantleThis mini mid mod mad neighborhood could use one more neighbor — don’t you think? Stay tuned.

Click here to download Kate’s free Putz house pattern

Make more mid century “Putz” style houses:

CategoriesPutz houses
  1. Annie B. says:

Oooo, Kate. Great house (the full sized one). The putzies are adorable. Now, you must create a mini Eichler. I know you can!

2. Bea says:

Kate – I finished the other pattern and this time I have supplies!!! I have 3 trees left from the other house. My local Michaels did not have the bottle brush trees, but since Kate had the photo of the bag, I knew what I was looking for. I went to the local hobby shop and the owner’s wife sold me 7 green bottle brush trees for $1.99 from a display in the store. The store sold a lot of train related merchandise. The ranch house looks great! So glad to be starting a neighborhood!!! The houses look fabulous on your mantel together….

3. Katie B. says:

Yay! I am glad that you are continuing this series of posts. I still haven’t made the first one, but I plan to do so. 🙂

I found some trees at Dollar Tree (ha). They have some white ones, green with white tips, and plain green ones in packs of two for $1. Not as good of a deal as Michael’s, but another option if you can’t find them anywhere else.

1. Kate says:

Another note on the trees — my mom told me she saw some at Walmart:

bright green, white and frosted darker green and darker green

Small size is about 3″ for 75 cents
        Med size is about 5.5 to 6 inches for $1
        Larger size was about 8″ and was $2

4. Amy says:

What a fun Christmas craft! When I was growing up we had a cardboard village under the tree. I recently looked for something similar and only found a vintage one on e-bay, which I bought. It’s an unused “Winter Village” designed by Wallis Rigby. Must have been made in the 40s or 50s? I love it but I’m worried about putting it together and letting my boys play with it. It seems so old and valuable.

5. Carole says:

I’ve missed out! I need to go back and get the first one….Love this btw!

Hubby and I looked at an A Frame years ago when we were first entering the housing market. The master bedroom was the entire upstairs, which looked out over the living room and the wall of windows. I don’t remember why we didn’t buy it, too expensive for what it was or something.

Thank you for sharing these! 🙂

6. Linda Blackmore says:

These are the BEST!! I downloaded the first one, and got a perfect piece of lightweight cardboard in something I bought. I was going to make several in the original and just color and landscape them different to make a village. Now I have another model.