K

Krazee Hubs — flower power hubcaps for a Volkwagen Beetle, 1968-1972

1960s volkswagen crazee hubs

This is just the kind of vintage oddity that sends me to the moon and back. Flower power hub caps for a VW Beetle. I didn’t buy them, cuz I woulda had to buy a car to put them on, and we sure as don’t need a VW Beetle project car right now. By the time I spotted these, the auction was almost over. They sold for $45 — which seems like a pretty good deal to me for something so wonderful. Thanks to seller retromoldies for letting us feature these photos in our forever-amazing-archive.

Retromoldies’ listing said:

A RARE SET OF FOUR VINTAGE FLOWERED HUB CAPS .THESE WERE MADE BY KRAZEE HUBS IN THE 70’S…NOW BY TRIAL AND ERROR..I FOUND THAT THESE FIT 1945 TO 1967 VOLKSWAGEN VEHICLES WITH 15″ WHEELS..THIS INFORMATION WAS TAKEN FROM AN OLD ORIGINAL BOX I FOUND ON THE INTERNET..THERE WAS ONLY TWO OPTIONS 1945-67 OR 1968-72 AND I KNOW THEY DON’T FIT A 70 VW BUS WITH 15″ WHEELS …THEY SHOW VERY LITTLE USAGE AS PICTURED AND THERE IS NO BOX.

1. tammyCA says:

Flower Power…oh, it does bring back memories…flowers everywhere…we were flower children. I remember getting the Mod colored big plastic flower keychains when we got gasoline fill ups. Back then they gave away all kinds of toys and things or S&H Green Stamps to redeem.
    The song “Aquarius” will always remind me of 5th grade and the talent show. 🙂

2. Annie B. says:

Make ’em into groovy light fixtures with opal glass round balls for the light sources. Infinite possibilities with these beauties. Lots of history, too, and miles.

3. pam kueber says:

oh. Happiness Is! i have descended to a new low, answering my own question in a thread on my own darn blog

4. June Cahill says:

@Tammy – funny you should mention the ‘flower-power’ keychains. Looking through my parent’s old desk, just found a yellow one from “Valley National Bank” (Phoenix)
    – I’m using it for the keys of my little condo – built in, of course, 1970!!!:)

5. midget says:

Gah, those would have matched the original factory paint color on my Beetle (the darkest green in the mix). Car is red now, but I prefer my shiny chrome stock hubcaps anyhow.

6. Jocelyn W. says:

Oh my goodness, those are the exact colors and motif of my kitchenware. I have a terrible weakness for 60s daisies. Looks like I need a saved search in case some of those show up again!

7. Lee Miller says:

OMG!!! I love those. I am currently driving a 2013 Beetle Convertible TDI (yes part of the recall) I would SO put those on my car!